Calling all Wheel/tire Experts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SSG

Threads
So I just ordered 5, 17" TRD Rock Warrior wheels for my 2017 LC200. Here is a pic of it currently. When I bought (Certified used from Toyota) this truck it had 17K miles, it came with many mods already on it, one being the 20" wheels and tires. It now has 25K miles and it is time to get rid of these 20" wheels/tires as they are not to my liking (size) but the stance is nice.

What are some good tire recommendations for these wheels? My 200 has OME BP51s, SPC upper control arms, ICON Lower trailing arms. I am also getting a LRA 40 gallon tank installed in a week or two. Recently moved somewhere it snows very heavily. My build/interest is for touring, camping, "overlanding". Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Land_Cruiser_200_Wheels.jpeg

I'm not going to be that "search!!" guy, but this is among the most talked about topics in this forum section.

How big are your current tires? 285/75R17 roughly comes out to 34, and will be a good bit less wide than what you have. You'll probably want spacers to maintain some of the poke.. as stock rock warriors are pretty tucked into the fender wells. And for the record, in general I dislike spacers and the potential for problems they introduce.

Trust me, there is a TON more discussion.. if you don't go search for a while you'll miss valid points.

Thanks @bloc I will do some search research :)

Current tires are LT 295/55 R20

I do not know much about spacers but would prefer no spacers, even if I don't get that poke. Thanks for the info. I have read good things about Good Year Wrangler Duratracs for snow also the KO2s.

OEM size for that wheel is LT285/70R17. You could run a search for that size on Mud, or start your search with the tire and wheel database if you plan on a different size. Like @bloc wrote, you'll miss much of the value of Mud if you don't spend time with a search.

Also, you'll get a lot of valuable info from the Tire Rack.

Here's the Tire and Wheel database thread in the forum FAQs.

Reactions: SSG
So I just ordered 5, 17" TRD Rock Warrior wheels for my 2017 LC200. Here is a pic of it currently. When I bought (Certified used from Toyota) this truck it had 17K miles, it came with many mods already on it, one being the 20" wheels and tires. It now has 25K miles and it is time to get rid of these 20" wheels/tires as they are not to my liking (size) but the stance is nice.

What are some good tire recommendations for these wheels? My 200 has OME BP51s, SPC upper control arms, ICON Lower trailing arms. I am also getting a LRA 40 gallon tank installed in a week or two. Recently moved somewhere it snows very heavily. My build/interest is for touring, camping, "overlanding". Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 3061724

Anyone with Rock Warriors should have access to the Toyota "poop sheet" on those wheels and the Toyota recommended tires - here's a link to your copy:

Toyota Installation Sheet for 17" TRD Alloy Wheels

Lots of good info - enjoy!

HTH

Anyone with Rock Warriors should have access to the Toyota "poop sheet" on those wheels and the Toyota recommended tires - here's a link to your copy:

Toyota Installation Sheet for 17" TRD Alloy Wheels

Lots of good info - enjoy!

HTH
Thanks, just downloaded that, from reading a thread I found that you had posted to lol, thanks.

Also that I need these McGard
Amazon product ASIN B007QB5AII
Going to keep reading up and researching. will definitely post some pics when I get these bad boys mounted!

for the price of those wheel locks id see what the price is from the dealership to order a trd set of wheel locks, plus side is that if you lose a lock key the dealership can get them off for you easier than getting aftermarket wheel locks off

What’s your tolerance for tire noise? What’s your on-road/off-road split? Do you care about fuel economy?

for the price of those wheel locks id see what the price is from the dealership to order a trd set of wheel locks, plus side is that if you lose a lock key the dealership can get them off for you easier than getting aftermarket wheel locks off

I would just trash the locks. Make sure you have 20 standard lugs (well.. standard for the RW). You can still order the TRD ones (but those are made by Mcgard, so not getting anything different). Also, TRDs dont come in black if you want the black ones.

What’s your tolerance for tire noise? What’s your on-road/off-road split? Do you care about fuel economy?
Tire noise does not bother me. More on-road driving. I do not care about fuel economy.

Tire noise does not bother me. More on-road driving. I do not care about fuel economy.
My suggestion is what I’m currently running then.
Kenda R/T

You could consider the 285/70r17, the 33x10.5x17 or if you’re adventurous, the 35x10.5x17, which would need some change to your offset via 3/4” spacers and probably a kdss relo.

These RT are great in my limited snow experience (they are studdable, I didn’t stud mine), amazing off-road traction, and pretty good on road manners.

<edit to include some pics, 35x10.5x17>

EBD91D42-FA1E-4EB1-86E8-BA8C229BC3A1.jpeg

CB3F7270-96E4-43CA-93FA-3A94503C0FE7.jpeg

Last edited:
My suggestion is what I’m currently running then.
Kenda R/T

You could consider the 285/70r17, the 33x10.5x17 or if you’re adventurous, the 35x10.5x17, which would need some change to your offset via 3/4” spacers and probably a kdss relo.

These RT are great in my limited snow experience (they are studdable, I didn’t stud mine), amazing off-road traction, and pretty good on road manners.

<edit to include some pics, 35x10.5x17>

View attachment 3062030

View attachment 3062031
I like the look and that they are studdable but how does it drive on the highway or do you just use these in the Winter?

No spacers on the RWs and Michelin defenders LTX m/s all the way. Perfect wheel/tire set up for a 200 and you would be hard pressed to find something that performs better.
These look like good on-road tires, can they do mild off-road and are they a good all-year tire? Being that you are in Alaska you must have good snow driving experience. Do you run dedicated snow tires in the Winter and then switch out to these after?

I like the look and that they are studdable but how does it drive on the highway or do you just use these in the Winter?
All day everyday. Drivewa really well on the highway, the set I have is very nice riding.
They have a little bit of tire noise that starts around 35mph. On the same level as my last set (at), less then worn duratracs, but more than a p rated highway tire.
Like most more aggressive tread, I expect more noise with more wear as they go thru the lifecycle.

These look like good on-road tires, can they do mild off-road and are they a good all-year tire? Being that you are in Alaska you must have good snow driving experience. Do you run dedicated snow tires in the Winter and then switch out to these after?
I run dedicated snow tires (Nokian Hakkas) on all my vehicles. However I know many people that run defenders year round up here, including a good friend with a 4 runner TRD pro. I ran them year round on my G wagon when we were in NE TN for 3 years.

On my LX Prior to last summer I had 2 sets of summer wheels/tires. A set of defenders on 18” tundra take offs (I got for $100 at a yard sale) and a set of KO2s on the OEM 20’s. This spring after 7 or 8 years looking for a set of RW’s, I gave up I finally got some 17’s (Alpha Equipt).

I rarely drive the LX in the winter but we almost live out if it June-September. Generally put ~10k miles on it in those 4 months, hard miles. Towing a ~7k lb camper, fairly technical off roading to get to Fishing/hunting/base camp. Do a trip every August up above the Arctic circle deep in the Brooks range to sheep hunt. On the Defenders I never felt like tires were a limiting factor off road even on grade 6/7 trails. My plan was to get defenders for my 17’s this spring but due to them being unavailable in LT 285/70-17 (in May when I needed summer tires) I had to get KO2s. As compared to the KO2s the defenders are much better in: snow, rain, highway, road, and sand and I haven’t found a scenario where the KO2s are better.

I run dedicated snow tires (Nokian Hakkas) on all my vehicles. However I know many people that run defenders year round up here, including a good friend with a 4 runner TRD pro. I ran them year round on my G wagon when we were in NE TN for 3 years.

On my LX Prior to last summer I had 2 sets of summer wheels/tires. A set of defenders on 18” tundra take offs (I got for $100 at a yard sale) and a set of KO2s on the OEM 20’s. This spring after 7 or 8 years looking for a set of RW’s, I gave up I finally got some 17’s (Alpha Equipt).

I rarely drive the LX in the winter but we almost live out if it June-September. Generally put ~10k miles on it in those 4 months, hard miles. Towing a ~7k lb camper, fairly technical off roading to get to Fishing/hunting/base camp. Do a trip every August up above the Arctic circle deep in the Brooks range to sheep hunt. On the Defenders I never felt like tires were a limiting factor off road even on grade 6/7 trails. My plan was to get defenders for my 17’s this spring but due to them being unavailable in LT 285/70-17 (in May when I needed summer tires) I had to get KO2s. As compared to the KO2s the defenders are much better in: snow, rain, highway, road, and sand and I haven’t found a scenario where the KO2s are better.
Great info, I had never heard of these tires (Defenders) before but have now only read great things about them, the only thing I do not like is in my personal opinion and my taste, they do not look aggressive but I guess that is why they have great road driving and I am considering them and also having a dedicated winter tire. Everyone loves KO2s so that is pretty interesting. I really appreciate all the great info on tires.

Here is what I went with. TRD Rock Warrior Wheels with Kenda Klever R/T. The ride is so dramatically better than the 20s I had on the rig.

lc1.jpg

lc2.jpg

lc8.jpg

lc6.jpg

Supposedly the rock warrior offset calls for a 285 70 r17…which supposedly also will work with no rubbing.

If you run a p metric 285 70 r17 rather than an lt/light tire, you’ll be able to run anywhere from 26-44 psi (51 in a wildpeak)…whatever feels best.

If you run an lt/light truck 285 70 r17, you’ll be required to run minimum 40 psi.

Cooper discoverer at3 4s has the highest ratings of the p metrics in this size…toyo at3’s have the best combination of performance and “look” IMO. Wildpeaks look the “coolest.” Attached is a photo from stellarbuilt of a Lexus with wildpeaks in that size with (I think) zero offset.

34BE7BD8-B23A-4F07-B5F8-A5F02DF1A39A.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom