Calling all PPG Paint Professionals. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got my fj40 back from getting the quarter panels installed and repainted. They did an excellent job installing the panels from what I can tell. I've had work done by this shop on a VW I used to have and they did an excellent job.

This one however, concerns me a little. It just looks like the paint is not quite the right color. The paint job looks great, but once I put my doors and top back on, they don't match quite right. My question is this... is the color going to change a bit? a while ago I had the PPG paint shop in town match a can of spray paint for me to repaint my rear sill. It looked like the wrong color for a week or so, but then it seemed to fade out and match the rest. Is this common for it to look just a hair different at first since it is new and the rest is not? I plan on waxing up the rest to get it nice and shiney like the new paint. I'm just wondering if I should take it back and have the guy match it, or just wait and see. He supposedly used the same scanner the PPG shop used for my spray can to match it - and that is supposed to be an exact match.

Bad thing is... I traded the work and I'm not too sure he'll be excited about repainting it. Although he gave me a bill for much more than we originally agreed to. Kinda ticks me off.

it is real hard to match paint 100%. Try using polishing compound on the old paint then wax it up. It should help a little. I doubt the PPG will fade much.

Look at it this way; at least your truck is more or less one colour :flipoff2:
That is more than I can say for most of mine

couple of questions for ya. How long ago was the rest of the cruiser painted? Did the same shop paint the rest of it? i used to work at a body shop and people would want just half a car painted and when it turned out it looked like two different shades because of age and care of the paint. another thing is they might have mixed it different than last time. when i mixed paint some colors would require a drop of a color well i might have droped a big drop or a small drop and just by doing that it will make the paint a shade off. its hard to match up paint. and as for the trading out work some one always gets screwed. but dont feel bad i have done the same and have always came out on the short end of the stick

thanks for the info guys.
Mwalls54 - the last paint job was several years ago at a different shop. I'll try buffing out the older paint. Maybe I just need to get it dirty :).
You're right. I had to promise my wife I wouldn't trade anymore after this. I have had two or three trades this year that really didn't work out... for me - worked out great for the other guy.
Its always me busting my butt to get it done quickly for them, then waiting 3-4 months for the trade. This guy jumped right on it, but I think he jacked up his man hours so he still makes money. He rebuilt a wrecked car for me and paid for my rental car for two weeks for less than the cost he gave me to put two quarter panels on (that I paid for) and paint them. At least it was a trade so it doesn't feel like I'm getting taken as bad :-\
I should have just taken the money and gone somewhere else.. but its always easier in hindsight.

well since it has been a few years on the old paint i would color sand it and buff it. should bring back some life to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom