Calling all burping experts.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Put down the PBR, it's not that kinda thread.:doh:
My question is how long does it take to get all of the trapped air out of the radiator and cooling system? I spent about 15 minutes with the heaters on high and the cap off and it bubbled the whole time non stop. It almost seemed like there was air getting in somewhere. My fan clutch and tstat are good and it overheates at idle only. What the?

Make surre the nose is up higher than the rear. If it is still bubbling that should chase it out. make sure the radiator is a full as it can be with out sloshing out
as it flows. have the resivoir at the right levels.

If it an't leaking out any where then air is not getting in anywhere. I changed out a rear heater hose, the really short turned ones at the heater underneath, took to "burping" sessions to get it straightened out...

Thanks. I didnt have the front lifted up. ill try that.

Dang, I thought there was finally going to be a thread on this forum where I could be considered an expert.

Overheats at idle! Replace radiator cap and fan clutch (OEM only on fan clutch)

Dynosoar

Yes, keep the front elevated, you can park it on an incline. Also, with the radiator cap off you can squeeze the top radiator hose periodically to force out any air. matt

mrsvle said:
Yes, keep the front elevated, you can park it on an incline. Also, with the radiator cap off you can squeeze the top radiator hose periodically to force out any air. matt

THis is the method I used and it worked very well.

i have a stupid question.......my 60 dosent' have the rear heater hoses hooked up....is this okay??? Any reprocussions.

lunyou

Tried it today and same thing. It bubbled more than a bong at college. I lifted the front and it wont stop bubbling. Is there really that much air in there? Grrr. Can't figure this out and im going wheeling saturday.

What I did was wait until the t-stat opened fully then shut off the car in my slanted driveway, with the front up higher. I would then squeeze the upper radiator hose with the radiator cap off (pushing/bubbling out some air) and while the hose was squeezed I would pour in coolant and slowly release the hose which would suck more coolant in. When I released the hose completely I would squeeze again pushing out more air, then pour more coolant in while releasing the hose. I did this until I could no longer bubble any air out. It was not a quick process so be patient. Then I would take it for a spin and then come back and do the whole process over again until I was completely full of coolant. Remember the hose will be hot, and this is a tedious process.

This may not be the best way to do this, its just the way I did it last. Good luck.

unlike my 40's, my 60 has always taken forever to burp

My standard answer: put a Pestone flush T in the heater hose near the heater conrol valve to vent the air - easy and quick.

The continuing stream of bubbles does appear to be a possible head gasket issue. Put the cap on the rad and drive it around to get it fully warmed up. Hopefully it'll mantain a proper temp. Let it fully cool off over night then start it in the morning with an assistant checking the exhaust for white smoke. Keep your fingers crossed.

When I got my FJ60 it was overheating at idle. what I did to remedy this problem was a simple flushing and cleaning of the coolant system. I used two bottles of chevron radiator cleaner, at the same time. It removed lots of sludge and debris from the radiator and completely solved my overheating problems. I dunno about the burping I have never had problems with that. Maybe you are doing it wrong?

If you want to eliminate any doubt that the head gasket is fried, try these tests.

Check the oil dipstick for a brown sludge instead of oil. You can check the piston compression too. Check the spark plugs. The radiator sniffer test is a nother way to go. Like 60wag said, check the exhaust for white smoke.
I think that the most effective method to diagnose a bad head gasket is by checking the piston compression.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom