Call to order sliders end with v8 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the new crusier I have will be here Sat. Sorry for the tons of post. Just trying to line everything up.

2 1/2 ome lift, custom front, custom rear swing out bumper.

So next I move onto the side rockers. I was told to get in touch with Porffitts Cruisers. Anyway, I am getting their set and got to talk about v8's. Made the call and setup something up for Sept. So it's going under the knife then to get a LT1. Going auto w/ Overdrive.

What is the thought about lt1's in the cruiser and what other adjustments do I need to make. All the engine work and the such will be done by them. I would rather they do it. But for axles and gears and the such, what should I do? Sticking around 33's.

What cruiser did you get, I'm guessing a 60, if you really want to dig into it, get at least 4.11 gears, maybe 4.88's depending on how you'll drive it. Also put a locker in the rear end while you have it apart.

If you bought a 62, keep the stock gears.

60....is it worth it just to swap 62 axles or regear. I guess if I go locker I need to pull the gears out anyway. Just didn't know if there was any major changes.

the only real difference between 60 and 62 axles is the gearing.....for now, IMO, drive it and see how ya like it....see how the road use is. Once you've got that set, then look at lockers and gears at the same time....62 = 3.7x gears, 60 = 4.1x gears, and you may want 4.56 with the 33's to get the speedo accurate.

Jeremiah will know :D

woody said:
the only real difference between 60 and 62 axles is the gearing.....for now, IMO, drive it and see how ya like it....see how the road use is. Once you've got that set, then look at lockers and gears at the same time....62 = 3.7x gears, 60 = 4.1x gears, and you may want 4.56 with the 33's to get the speedo accurate.

Jeremiah will know :D

TYPO, Woody - FJ60 = 3.73 gearing, FJ62 = 4.11 gearing. You can swap 62 third members into the 60 without changing axles. You can use an ARB air locker with these gears.

IMO, the power of the LT1 will obviate the need for 4.11 gears, but 4.11 and 33's is close to stock ratios for the speedo. It will give you slightly better crawl ratio, also.

I know the LT1 is a good engine, but I would go with the 4.8 Vortec truck / SUV engine from Advanced Adapters - <$4k for a new Vortec crate motor.

M

Lt1

I've had an LT1 in my 60 for about 15K miles now :D . Stock 4spd w/ stock axles and gears. Speedo is off, but I don't care. RPM's on the highway are perfect for me...65-70mph at about 2500-2600rpms. I'm sitting on 33's. My plan is to run it till the gears go out (they've got 300K miles on 'em), then regear, SOA, and go to 35" or 37" tires.

Eitherway, going all stock with an LT1 works fine for me...for now. I'd say to get the LT1 in and see what you like and don't like after you've put a few thousand miles on it.

My $0.02
~Bryan~

I thought the LT1 engine has a plenti of power to 33" tires with 4.11 to get good fuel highway economy. On the trail with 2.28 split case low, you are right .. but if you split case comes with 1.96, and you have H55F ( as my case ) maybe you want more, if you plan to swap to 35" or 37" in a short time ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom