Call for Board of Directors Volunteers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rjs78

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings! Hope everyone had a great Turkey day holiday. This message is a call for candidates/volunteers for the Georgia Cruisers Board of Directors. As you're finishing up the leftovers from Thursday, consider helping the club by serving in one of the BOD roles: Secretary, Treasurer, Membership, TLCA Liaison, Vice President or President. Currently, Ted is serving as President, with various help from others. This is my last year as Membership and Treasurer, and it has been a fun and rewarding stint. Essentially any normal position is open. There are also non-position efforts that could use help, such as a GACRUISERS.COM webmaster or a Facebook-master.

Post up here if questions or interested, or contact Ted or myself directly.

As always, keep the wheels under you and the sky overhead! Thanks, RJ

This is what I'm talking about church members!!!
Not one response!!!
In the big picture Atlanta needs a stronger showing in the Toyota Land Cruiser Association!
I know everybody is spread out so move the meeting. Somewhere there is a good solution!
THIS FACT HAS ALWAYS BEFUDDLED ME
HENDOG TLCA#1343
Droid11-2011 096.jpg

Work and life. It seems like we need to get more of the weekend warrior and die hard off road guys to meet in the middle and drink a beer

I got no dog in this fight since I'm in TN, but I'll say from past personal experience, if you want the club to succeed, you have to make it a priority. I was the club secretary for STLCA for a few years after Chris got reassigned. Tried unsuccessfully to get folks to attend meetings, the last straw was when I sat for 15 minutes alone waiting to see if anyone showed up... want to talk about taking the wind out of your sails. Moved locations, tried different dates, blahs, blah, blah, end of the day, folks just weren't interested in it once the new/novelty wore off.

I commend the guys that make meetings and have carried that for so many years. It's tough, especially in this current era where all the kids must do all the things or their lives will end and people would rather text on the phone than talk to the person sitting next to them. I work crazy hours, have long days and late meetings, but when I was holding the torch, I made it a priority and made time. As mean as it may sound, if you wanted to make the meeting, you could work it out. I know s*** happens sometimes, but not the same time every month (unless you work nights or have a regular meeting for work to attend that night, that's different and your not who I'm talking about anyway). The kids can be told no, the significant other can let you have one night to meet with your internet friends and talk cruisers, if you really wanted to. I get that ATL is a big city and believe me I know getting across it sucks a fat one, so swap it up. STLCA had nashville meetings and Chattanooga meetings on different days of the month (when they actually had meetings) so maybe try that. But end of the day, if you dont really want to go, then you won't regardless of where the meeting is.

I'm not on Facebook, so maybe I'm off on this, but I dont think there has been a "meeting" of the STLCA in the nashville area for 2 or 3 years. It's interesting because the core STLCA group is strong and they do ride and do things with regularity but meeting isn't really one of them lately.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I hoped to accomplish with all this blathering, but I've been there and I know exactly how this spot feels and besides that I've typed it all and really hate to delete it, so I'll just end and say, hold the line and do the best you can.

Last edited:
Personally I would hold meetings at an OHV park or have a trail ride/camp meeting somewhere. If not every month do it once a quarter, not sure what your bylaws require. After all isn't that why you got an off-road vehicle anyway, to take it off road. I know @TeddyBoy and his roughriders go out pretty often, so why not go with them and hold a meeting (as often as @tgreco gets stuck, you can hold a meeting then:wideyed:). Like @jynx :cigar: said I don't have a dog in this fight and honestly I didn't really care about meeting at some road house but I don't believe I missed to many trail rides. Besides you can drink as much as you want (not that I do anymore) and not worry about driving home, just worry if you can crawl to your tent. Cause you do not want to pass out by the fire.
Just my thoughts that aren't worth much.

Good to see you're still around @HENDOG !........ I'll let Donna know you're still in church every Sunday.

This is what I'm talking about church members!!!
Not one response!!!
In the big picture Atlanta needs a stronger showing in the Toyota Land Cruiser Association!
I know everybody is spread out so move the meeting. Somewhere there is a good solution!
THIS FACT HAS ALWAYS BEFUDDLED ME
HENDOG TLCA#1343 View attachment 2180243
Do you have any pictures of the landing?

I don't have much room to talk because I've never made a meeting and have not made an effort to participate in the "Chapter" or "Club" or whatever you call it. For reasons already mentioned (thanks for the slap in the face @jynx), I have priorities ahead of regular meetings. On the flip side and to @FJCRAWLER 's point, I do make it a priority to try and get as many different people to pull my winch cable as humanly possible. For me personally and if club participation/vitality is something the larger group wants, I vote to make formal get-togethers at the parks.

While I fall in the trailer to the trail group, when I started there were an array of rigs on the trails and there seemed like a good balance of capable rigs hitting the bunny slopes and bunny slopers grabbing open seats for the harder stuff. At the end of the day, everyone had fun, learned something, and enjoyed some fresh faces around the campfire (re. I'm tired of looking at @TeddyBoy 's face everytime I go wheeling :flipoff2:).

To shoot completely straight, I'm not advocating for trying to resurrect whatever the GA Cruisers used to be if that is what this is about, and honestly I don't really care if it happens or not. With that said, I would love to make new friends and continue to enjoy times in the woods with like-minded folks (assuming we don't talk politics). If the latter means building the club back up, then bring it on! Just don't ask me to be treasurer as I'll probably forget where I put the money!

@tgreco :slap: anytime bud :hillbilly:

Hell you've been to more GSMTRs than me, so I dont really have any room to talk either

I got no dog in this fight since I'm in TN, but I'll say from past personal experience, if you want the club to succeed, you have to make it a priority. I was the club secretary for STLCA for a few years after Chris got reassigned. Tried unsuccessfully to get folks to attend meetings, the last straw was when I sat for 15 minutes alone waiting to see if anyone showed up... want to talk about taking the wind out of your sails. Moved locations, tried different dates, blahs, blah, blah, end of the day, folks just weren't interested in it once the new/novelty wore off.

I commend the guys that make meetings and have carried that for so many years. It's tough, especially in this current era where all the kids must do all the things or their lives will end and people would rather text on the phone than talk to the person sitting next to them. I work crazy hours, have long days and late meetings, but when I was holding the torch, I made it a priority and made time. As mean as it may sound, if you wanted to make the meeting, you could work it out. I know s*** happens sometimes, but not the same time every month (unless you work nights or have a regular meeting for work to attend that night, that's different and your not who I'm talking about anyway). The kids can be told no, the significant other can let you have one night to meet with your internet friends and talk cruisers, if you really wanted to. I get that ATL is a big city and believe me I know getting across it sucks a fat one, so swap it up. STLCA had nashville meetings and Chattanooga meetings on different days of the month (when they actually had meetings) so maybe try that. But end of the day, if you dont really want to go, then you won't regardless of where the meeting is.

TRUTH!!!!!

There's always a reason NOT to do something. Been down this road and feel the exact same way, ever heard the 80/20 rule... Aside from the raffle truck (2010 era) I found it more like 90/10 rule and frankly got (am) burned out.

As is illustrated in the Cobb Co thread the guys are out there, getting them involved is a different argument though. Whatever, not getting tied in knots over it I just wanna wheel my junk and have fun.

Spot on with these posts. Really no way to pin it down to one thing or thousands of others.
If your in your in.... If your not your not.
:beer:

Some friends of mine out west converted their group into JustRuns 4 Wheel Drive Club (San Diego, CA)
As they got tired of similar issues. It may be a thought for the ga cruisers and yes, I was on the board for several years as well.

Our meetings in STLCA were fairly regular back in the day. But nearly always the same 4-5 regulars. Roger was driving really far too. (A few people did). But with members over 2 hours from a meeting site, it is easy for them to make an excuse not to show - and who can blame them. I spent a couple nights at Todds because I was going to have to be back in the Nooga the next day. (I was living in Rome but had frequent work.up there.)
It will certainly be interesting to see how the Cobb meet and greet goes.

ONSC has different groups that meet in the different parts of the state in North Carolina (Raleigh, Charlotte, Etc.). Doing something like that may help alleviate the issue for people to drive for a longer distance, as well as bring more people in to participate. I'm very new to Georgia and looking forward to meeting many of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom