Call all emissions experts! - equipment compatibility question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mare you still using that manual? Or is it up for grabs?
Same as SOR - $30 plus shipping if not local pickup.

IMG_7893.jpeg

Holley sniper fuel injection with the 2 barrel setup? Self learning and I think there’s a company that sells the whole package deal with distributor and everything you need. For a little extra cheese they sell the adapter to use the original air cleaner.

how would that help? .. I don’t know anything about them

I would recommend creating a list of parts you have and the ones you need when you decide what year and spec you wanna go by. The parts catalog is a great resource to find compatibility from year to year (you can find it on ih8mud). As an example this is what I created for mine:

View attachment 2763668

View attachment 2763669

View attachment 2763670

View attachment 2763673

View attachment 2763674
I hate to say it but it looks like you did the work for me…do u mind if I use those? Because looking through it - it’s pretty much encompassing all the years im looking at too.
I think u were looking for cal and I’m looking for Fed but your notes distinguish.

I hate to say it but it looks like you did the work for me…do u mind if I use those? Because looking through it - it’s pretty much encompassing all the years im looking at too.
I think u were looking for cal and I’m looking for Fed but your notes distinguish.
You process should be:

1-decide the year of emission based on availability of parts (not the car, if it matches the car production year then great). I chose mine to match because I want a faithful restoration.

2-get all the diagrams and list of parts for that year. 1&2 might have to be done in a loop to decide the year. Your source will be Hayes manual or emission manual for that year, and the parts catalog found here on mud.

3-once you have everything figured out tackle the job.

my notes were for my car/year/region, and I only put the parts I’m missing not all the parts. The emission stuff is already confusing so I don’t want it to mislead you the wrong path. Yes there are similarities between years but as an example Cali is usually a year ahead of everywhere else, so the parts don’t apply always. I only put up my notes as a template so you would know how much hw you got to do, it took me hours and hours. And I am no expert because I only plan to pass emissions when I actually finish fully restoring the car.

You process should be:

1-decide the year of emission based on availability of parts (not the car, if it matches the car production year then great). I chose mine to match because I want a faithful restoration.

2-get all the diagrams and list of parts for that year. 1&2 might have to be done in a loop to decide the year. Your source will be Hayes manual or emission manual for that year, and the parts catalog found here on mud.

3-once you have everything figured out tackle the job.

my notes were for my car/year/region, and I only put the parts I’m missing not all the parts. The emission stuff is already confusing so I don’t want it to mislead you the wrong path. Yes there are similarities between years but as an example Cali is usually a year ahead of everywhere else, so the parts don’t apply always. I only put up my notes as a template so you would know how much hw you got to do, it took me hours and hours. And I am no expert because I only plan to pass emissions when I actually finish fully restoring the car.

Yup on top of it … like ur notes though a knew it was incomplete but I’ll some and add what I need. I like ur format is all. Good stuff.
Got my years and 78 which is the system I’m buying - I’m just doing it I don’t care it what’s available and I’ll make it work because I have to ge the carb too - wiring and plugs don’t scare me after rewiring 80% of my truck in the past 4 months

468BA088-F8B0-4667-9C3D-F5A74A4E5CE5.jpeg

37E55905-DF5E-4F31-9F50-AC61172CBFB3.jpeg

Yup on top of it … like ur notes though a knew it was incomplete but I’ll some and add what I need. I like ur format is all. Good stuff.
Got my years and 78 which is the system I’m buying - I’m just doing it I don’t care it what’s available and I’ll make it work because I have to ge the carb too - wiring and plugs don’t scare me after rewiring 80% of my truck in the past 4 months

View attachment 2772190

View attachment 2772193
Good stuff man

But basically the whole reason I started this thread was to ask everyone:

I have 8/76-8/77 model Fed FJ40
And it has had ANY & ALL (even carb change) taken out. …. can I put a 78 emissions system in my car considering I would be buying complete 78 system and carb to match!??

that’s all I asked .. and was looking for someone to say “yes can be done easily just is different than your years and you will have to change some plugs and pay attention to wire diagrams.”

or … “no won’t work”

But basically the whole reason I started this thread was to ask everyone:

I have 8/76-8/77 model Fed FJ40
And it has had ANY & ALL (even carb change) taken out. …. can I put a 78 emissions system in my car considering I would be buying complete 78 system and carb to match!??

that’s all I asked .. and was looking for someone to say “yes can be done easily just is different than your years and you will have to change some plugs and pay attention to wire diagrams.”

or … “no won’t work”
What is said on this forum means nothing to the CARB people, so I recommend you get to know a competent, licensed smog tech ASAP to determine exactly what you will need to do to pass the test, preferably the guy who will actually do the test. The said, I've been dealing with CARB rules for over 40 years now, and this is my understanding. Your title determines the year of the smog system; the Toyota production date means nothing. That is only needed to get the correct part when ordering something. There should be an emission plate attached, stating whether the vehicle originally complied with Fed or CA rules. If that is missing, or not the official one, you must get this clarified as to which system you will need. As for the system, it follows the year of the vehicle, or the engine, if newer. You appear to have a 77, so you could not install a 76 or earlier system. Your 78 system, being newer, should be acceptable.

What is said on this forum means nothing to the CARB people, so I recommend you get to know a competent, licensed smog tech ASAP to determine exactly what you will need to do to pass the test, preferably the guy who will actually do the test. The said, I've been dealing with CARB rules for over 40 years now, and this is my understanding. Your title determines the year of the smog system; the Toyota production date means nothing. That is only needed to get the correct part when ordering something. There should be an emission plate attached, stating whether the vehicle originally complied with Fed or CA rules. If that is missing, or not the official one, you must get this clarified as to which system you will need. As for the system, it follows the year of the vehicle, or the engine, if newer. You appear to have a 77, so you could not install a 76 or earlier system. Your 78 system, being newer, should be acceptable.

thx for that. and yes In contact with smog expert who has done land cruisers

I would recommend creating a list of parts you have and the ones you need when you decide what year and spec you wanna go by. The parts catalog is a great resource to find compatibility from year to year (you can find it on ih8mud). As an example this is what I created for mine:

can you refer me to the parts catalog your referring? im having trouble navigating to it/finding it on the website...thx

I know he had a lot of trouble finding parts for customers.
I really like this catalogue:
The one I use is from this post:

The relevant file is: FJ4x_FJ55_B40partsMicroFiche.pdf

I like PDFs because I can leave comments for myself. Print would be nice too but it's 800 pages!. I went through the PDF catalog and made bookmarks of every main component so finding what I want is very fast now.

The relevant file is: FJ4x_FJ55_B40partsMicroFiche.pdf

I like PDFs because I can leave comments for myself. Print would be nice too but it's 800 pages!. I went through the PDF catalog and made bookmarks of every main component so finding what I want is very fast now.

wow what a pdf ... looks hard to navigate but that's on first impression opening and not trying to understand just scrolling

how were you able to cross reference what years used the same part and what years they altered something? obviously it took meticulous work but looking at the previously mentioned relevant pdf I don't see how I could accomplish this, did you do this utilizing some other means as well as catalog?

ultimately im trying to cross reference parts just as you did to determine what year a part changed and therefore wouldn't work with 'X" system ...

Last edited:
…. can I put a 78 emissions system in my car considering I would be buying complete 78 system and carb to match!??

The short answer is: Yes you can.
This assumes that you do indeed have all the parts. Many parts are identical, but there are some small differences, particularly in the vacuum lines to the carb and vacuum switches.

I doubt that any smog tech will notice the difference and even if they did and you have to take it to a smog referee, because there are no more OEM parts, they will likely let you substitute newer model parts That function the same way.

Personally, if I had a 76 or up FJ40, I would be buying all the smog parts I could find. If you have extras, you can swap them for parts you need.

Personally, if I had a 76 or up FJ40, I would be buying all the smog parts I could find. If you have extras, you can swap them for parts you need.
that's what I have been doing...I have doubles of a lot ... and a "complete" system that im still making sure is complete A and then B have to take to smog guy to install and then see what works and what doesn't....or else am I supposed to be somehow bench testing these things like the ABV and the VSV etc...im just not sure.. im in gathering materials faze and basically I think im complete enough to Strat installing (well have an expert install).. I still need exhaust manifold though and that's important obviously so that's my one more thing to get...think ill post a wanted...

A lot of the smog gear just has to be there to pass visual inspection, but my experience is that it doesn’t necessarily have to function to pass. The big areas for passing are a working EGR valve to pass NOx and a properly working power valve controlled by the VSV. It takes vacuum to keep it closed and if there is no vacuum it will run rich and fail CO. A possible work around is to connect it to manifold vacuum, which is how the internal controlled PVs work.

If you can find a guy that knows 70s era smog technology, hang on to them. Otherwise, you are going to have to learn it.

wow what a pdf ... looks hard to navigate but that's on first impression opening and not trying to understand just scrolling

how were you able to cross reference what years used the same part and what years they altered something? obviously it took meticulous work but looking at the previously mentioned relevant pdf I don't see how I could accomplish this, did you do this utilizing some other means as well as catalog?

ultimately im trying to cross reference parts just as you did to determine what year a part changed and therefore wouldn't work with 'X" system ...
I only used the parts catalog. As an example on page 176 you see the air pump for your year like this:

1631630621860.png

Every system has a diagram like that, which shows all the component for a specific year and region with a code name. The code for ABV on that diagram is 17670. After the diagram you get a table that lists all the parts for that system. So on page 179 you see that ABV with code 17670. Each part has a part number and a production year. This is how you can see compatibilities of parts. For example there is no California specific ABV on that table, which means I can use ABV produced from 7602 (Feb 1976) to 7901 (Jan 1979). The document is comprehensive so it's definitely worth going through it and bookmark the systems you are interested in. It's also great for finding out how to connect things.

1631630700771.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom