Call all emissions experts! - equipment compatibility question

Visit site
Nice I like that a lot - super organized … and I will definitely do that … I wasn’t worried about little wire differences or plugs so that didn’t scare me about the 78 system vs 77 system
But now that everyone has said what they have said I guess it’s best if I stay with 77 system based on ease of integration and smog reasons.

I (in my novice car brain) thought that because I was already planning on getting a new carb and the entire emission system is gone (I have literally nothing to work with) - that it would be easy to just add the 78 system because it’s an entire system thing - not bits and pieces worked in

thorslc1977

SILVER Star
Visit site
I may be wrong but I don't think there is a CARB approved fuel injection system for a 2f at present. Also after reading about the Canadian import you should probably follow Federal standards. I bought mine new in Nevada and mine has the non-catalytic converter sticker and it is Federal and it has passed Cal smog many, many times. I have all my original smog equip installed and can send pics and I have some smog parts I could probably donate.

Visit site
Well I *Had an appt … but it seems now that I call back Georg can’t take me for another 2 months!!!! (even though I had an appt a week ago) … I’m so frustrated… unbelievable. Had appt . - Uhaul’s crank broke morning I was to transport - called to make new appt - never got called back: emailed twice, called 2 times - and now I’m listed back 2 months . U can tell how happy I am considering I’ve been waiting for an appt while expresssing interest and ASAP nature with them for the past 3 months. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhb

Last edited:
Visit site
If it’s a 76/77 that had smog. It’s actually pretty easily reversible. I had to do it myself. granted they left the carb, just caped it. Just find an emissions diagram for your year, a desmog diagram, and some pictures. There are plenty of people that desmog there cruisers. I’m sure they are up on the wanted adds, or you could put up a want ad. You can do it. I’m here if you have any year specific questions.

View attachment 2762699

View attachment 2762700
Meaning you swapped a different year+ carb?

I just re-wired 70% of my harness of shorty electrical work so I’ve replaced all plugs - have correct tools / knowledge of my own electrical lines as i had to study the diagrams plenty. Etched in my mind still.
That’s why my original question was about compatibility and why wouldn’t it be integrated ( caveat - and pass smog)

Visit site
I’m CA - trying to smog … like everyone else…

I have a late model 76 that has a 77 sticker on inner door USEPA (FED) non-catalyst. My PO tore every bit of emission equipment out and changed carb to fit what he did…

Question is this:
Compatibility wise
I need to smog. *if I purchase an entire 1978 emissions system along with matching carb - can I make that work on my rig??

considering it’s the entire system I would just be integrating…
I don’t want to start purchasing if it ain’t gunna work.

thanks for any info…I’m willing to pay to get my car on the ride so spare me the “move to a different state” comments 😉
I thought you said you where in California? Are you looking to make your cruiser California spec smog? Or federal smog? I guess I’m confused.

Visit site
Meaning you swapped a different year+ carb?

I just re-wired 70% of my harness of shorty electrical work so I’ve replaced all plugs - have correct tools / knowledge of my own electrical lines as i had to study the diagrams plenty. Etched in my mind still.
That’s why my original question was about compatibility and why wouldn’t it be integrated ( caveat - and pass smog)
No. Mine had some of its smog equipment still with the cruiser, but I had to recreate much of it. It’s really all vacuum.. no electrical. I believe there is a “computer” under the drivers dash. But that’s it.

Visit site
Here is federal 77:

0E75F7FA-6DC7-4E51-9C14-5EB6D717D275.jpeg

3BA7DD35-7295-4088-9072-A93D53DAE724.jpeg

Visit site
We’re Americans, there’s nothing we can’t do. I have an air injection rail to contribute to this project with a check valve. Who’s next? Whatcha got?

would love it if your serious?

anyone else have unused 77 smog equipment lying around. I would be very much so appreciative. Anything helps…

Visit site
Georg has been using the Smog Station in Dublin to do his smog work. Give Troy a call at 925-828-9119. I did the same job 25 years ago on a basket case 76, but it was a lot easier to find parts back then. The 76/77 system is fairly simple, so I'd stay with it. The 78 system is different and parts not interchangeable, so you would need everything, including plugs and wiring harness. I still have the 76 Toyota Emissions manual I used to reconstruct the system.

mare you still using that manual? Or is it up for grabs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom