Caliper position for rear disc brake conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting in a rear disc conversion from Downey and trying to decide what position the calipers should be mounted at. I did a search and found 2 pictures that make it look like the driver's side should be at 2:00 (behind the axle). Does it matter? for bleeding? How about the passenger side? 2:00 also? (in front of the axle).

Quick help would be greatly appreciated esp after spending a couple hours trying to figure out axle removal with the ARB.

David.

YOU WANT THE BLEEDER UP SO THE BUBBLES RISE i BELIEVE? OTHER THAN THAT IT REALLY DOES NOT MATTER, IT DEPENDS ON YOUR SUSPENSION AND MAKING SURE EVERYTHING CLEARS, i HAVE SEEN THEM IN FRONT AND IN THE REAR, FWIW, MINE MOUNT ON THE REAR, FACING UP

Thanks. That makes sense. I have found a few pictures of them lower than the axle, but the majority are above. I guess I'll go with above using that reasoning.

Howdy! Hope to do this to my Piggy one of these days. Not familiar with Downey's kit. Do you really have to pull the axles out? Lots of other guys just disassemble the old brake parts and then torch/sawzall the backing plate off. It really has no value anymore. John

About the caliper brackets--now I see that there are only 2 possibilities for getting all 4 bolts to bolt into the axle housing. I ended up putting both calipers behind the axle--one high and one low because that's the only way it would fit behind the axleusing all 4 bolts. Anyone out there have their calipers arranged like this? Or should I take it off and flip it around front to get it over the axle?

Inkpot, I'm not sure if you have to remove the axles. Probably not, if you cut that backing plate. The whole purpose for my work today was to replace the axle seals (one was leaking). I decided that it would be a good time to convert to discs.

Howdy! Perfect timing. I did seals n bearings years ago, so now I am slowly gathering parts so I can do the disc setup. I have my brackets, and I want to do Poly axles at the same time. Which calipers are you useing? John

Downey's parking brake calipers. I've read that its hard to get parking brake calipers to work right, but I'm going to have to learn that one the hard way. I will find a way to get enough leverage. It may take a parking brake handle from another vehicle, but I will find a way. I want to get rid of that transfer case parking brake and don't want a line lock as my only parking brake.

I ran into a problem on my brake lines. I'm guessing my t-fitting on the axle housing is of the 10 mm variety since the stainless hoses that I ordered from Downey were too small. I ordered based on the year of my 40. How can I tell for sure that its 10 mm?

I went to the local parts store with the fitting and 1/8" fitting screws right into it 2 or 3 turns by hand without any problem. How can I be sure that my fitting is, indeed, Metric and not SAE?

I can tell by looking that all the brake lines on my cruiser have been replaced, but it seems unlikely that someone found a SAE t fitting (with a hole for the differential breather) that would work perfectly on the cruiser axle.

Downey's parking brake calipers. I've read that its hard to get parking brake calipers to work right, but I'm going to have to learn that one the hard way. I will find a way to get enough leverage. It may take a parking brake handle from another vehicle, but I will find a way. I want to get rid of that transfer case parking brake and don't want a line lock as my only parking brake.

I ran into a problem on my brake lines. I'm guessing my t-fitting on the axle housing is of the 10 mm variety since the stainless hoses that I ordered from Downey were too small. I ordered based on the year of my 40. How can I tell for sure that its 10 mm?

I went to the local parts store with the fitting and 1/8" fitting screws right into it 2 or 3 turns by hand without any problem. How can I be sure that my fitting is, indeed, Metric and not SAE?

I can tell by looking that all the brake lines on my cruiser have been replaced, but it seems unlikely that someone found a SAE t fitting (with a hole for the differential breather) that would work perfectly on the cruiser axle.
Howdy! I am considering the El Dorado calipers for the same reason, and I too have heard that they are hard to setup and keep working good on the handbrake. I have heard you can find FJ60 hand brake levers cheap on ebay. I am pretty happy with my original parking brake, but I end up parking on steeeeeeeeep hills all the time, so I would like more parking brake. I would just buy one of each size of metric fitting and match it up. The SAE is nearly the same thread. John

I agree with 1973Guppie, keep them as high as possible with the bleeders to the top. The biggest problem with the parking brake calipers is the cable mechanisms get mangled by rocks. Then they either don't work or they are stuck on, or they get full of mud and...... you get the picture.

This bracket kit is from BTB. Bleed valve up.
U-Bolt Flip 05.jpg

Found some interesting info on fittings:

Where to buy brake line, fuel line, brake line flaring tools, brake line nuts and brake line fittings

"The standard Asian style is the M5-3, like the M1-3 is also 10mm x 1.00 thread for 3/16" tubing. It is always used with a SAE flare and is fully threaded. It looks very much like the standard A1-3 American nut. You can start the 10mm x 1.00 thread nuts in a 3/8" x 24 threaded U.S. fitting but it will immediately begin stripping the threads."

Looks like the fitting I found will strip out my Land Cruiser tee if I was to put some torque on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom