Caliper issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got around to getting my knuckles rebuilt on my 90 Fj62. Just hit 120k. Straight forward. Passenger side went well considering the usually issues a 26 year old new england truck can bring. Got the kit from Kurt. While at it I bought calipers, rotors, pads, and hardware. All from my usual spot at rockauto.com. Only issue I had was that the driver side birf didnt want to go in all the way. 15 mins later it fell into place. Put everything back together. Caliber rubs the rotor bad. Like leaving a gouge bad. When turning which is very hard. Im lost. Thinking that rockauto.com sent the wrong one I went to advance auto only to find out its the same rotor they stock including the same part #. Only thing I can think of was the dust shield. It looks find. One side was straight forward and well this one. Guess Ill be tearing into the knuckle again

Notice the rub marks?

20170516_190436.jpg

20170516_190441.jpg

Is the caliper cleaned and no damage to rubber shields and no pitting on the 4 valves? Because now it is fully pressed in like new so the fluid is pressed back in the bowl, maybe overfilled ?
Was it all tightened yet because it should be put together manually so no force needed to get it lined up.
I Dont know if it is only the caliper or whole setup, if the birf is not in you should have noticed, do you have pictures of how it was put together, it looks fine to me if you look at distance between rotor and dustshield so problem must be in caliper.
I Have new rotors to install, I will wait a bit longer

Last edited:
if your rubber lines are old, they can act like check valves, keeping pressure on the pads...other than that, it could be a bad caliper. did you adjust anything between the booster and master?

It opens and closes fine. Its the caliper body itself thats hitting? Like its too small or the rotor is too big. Strange cause the rotors came together same part number. Bosch brand. I did notice that the ends dont line up. Like even?

got it. it's rubbing the edge of the rotor...pull caliper and inspect for rocks, slag, or a missalignment of aftermarket casting. you could likely file it down or remove the obstruction ...or you could send the rotor and caliper back to RA

There shoudnt be any gap between the rotor and the hub. You have to press the wheel studs through the back of the rotor and out the front of the hub. That is your problem. You have the wheel studs only pressed in the hub and the rotor just floating against the back of the hub against the stud heads, or the studs are not pressed in all the way if they are going through the rotors. This is creating a weird mount, and dangerous I might add.

Last edited:
Now I understand it too: no space between pad lock pin, is there a diameter on the box?
I suppose grinding is possible but not really an option? Do you have the old caliper to try?
taking it all apart, :hmm:
Strange the other side is not rubbing, the gap is also on mine, I thought it was not normal but mine has it to.

I have a new rotor that seems to fit a lot of landcruisers:

DF4153 TRW and it is not mounted yet but size is: Diameter (mm)302 /Note: 11.89 in. height

for my 1985 hj60 302 mm seems correct, all are that size I think (mm to inch is not correct in some)
1985 Toyota Land Cruiser Brake Disc - Auto Parts Warehouse

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom