California Title and Registration of Diesels (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Judging from what I have seen here and elsewhere. Some are flying under the CARB radar somehow.

It was possible, with the change (September 2017) in the vin verification form (Form 31), it's impossible now.

I wonder if it will affect the existing registered vehicles in CA, or if there were sold and changing hands in CA would it get flagged in the ownership transfer? May mean existing registered vehicles can hold a premium value in CA....

I wonder if it will affect the existing registered vehicles in CA, or if there were sold and changing hands in CA would it get flagged in the ownership transfer? May mean existing registered vehicles can hold a premium value in CA....

I wouldn't be surprised if CA starts revoking the JDM auto titles in the future.

Texas was doing the same for "dune buggies" that had existing legal titles for road use which shows that a state can decide to change their mind on state issued auto titles.

Although Texas isn't like Florida...it is a state where it is pretty easy to register and title direct import / grey import.

I thought Florida is one of the loosest states out there.

Has anybody been able to register their import diesel in CA since October 2017?

It is true that grey market diesels fall under their own set of mandates imposed by the CARB. Meaning that just because they are a pre-97 diesel, they aren't considered the same classification as American market cars for the reasons mentioned above. Primarily because they were never designed within CARB specifications and California considers this a problem for smog.

I was able to register my HJ61 because the importer had registered it out of state for a few months, then it was brought into California. This made it look like a out of state vehicle except for the short VIN on paper. Plus the wording of the laws regarding grey market diesels were a bit more confusing back in 2014 when I did the registration. I'm not certain they would catch it even now.

I'm even more glad now to have sold off my HJ61. Another user mentions on another thread about the DMV going back through the system to see which ones slipped through the cracks. I'm not sure where he gets his info, but it was always a fear in my mind they'd start doing that and can totally picture some bored DMV or CARB employee doing this on a power trip. Although I would argue that it's entirely the DMV's fault however for ever allowing this...it did go through 2 VIN verifications and they willingly processed all the paper work after all. I paid more than enough taxes on it when it was brought in from out of state. If it's still my fault after a dozen DMV employees and one CHP officer okayed it, that would be ridiculous. I thought I was just registering another car, albeit diesel, RHD, and born in Japan, because essentially I was except for some unfounded, greedy, and xenophobic law that said I couldn't (in very fine print).

However, apparently California is mandating that NO grey market diesels be registered even after conversion. Via the DMV website's page on direct import vehicles:
"Motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, and diesel-powered vehicles cannot be converted to California emissions standards at this time. Therefore, they cannot be registered in California unless they were originally manufactured to meet U.S. and California emissions standards."
source: HTVR 09A

So I'm not so sure that George at California Environmental Engineering is entirely up to speed on the bi-polar laws we have here. The only way I'd consider doing it now is if I had a home in Arizona or somewhere and could park it there every so often. Sounds like the loophole might be officially closed these days, and it would be risky to try registering any grey market diesel in California.

Explain this please.
RHD, diesel, DLR license plate.

IMG_20180504_092949258_HDR.jpg

I’m guessing this applies, from the CA DMV’s publication entitled “GUIDE FOR LICENSED VEHICLE DEALERS AND LESSOR-RETAILERS”

• Use of Special Plates
Special plates issued to dealers may be used for any purpose, including pleasure, provided the vehicle is in the dealer’s inventory for sale and is used only by the firm owners of the dealership or is leased to vehicle salespersons. Special plates may not be used on work or service vehicles (see use of special plates memo issued to all dealers dated December 23, 1983). Special plates are not provided to lessor-retailers.
Loophole? Get yourself a dealer license, import a diesel Landcruiser and post it for sale for

tenor.gif

The first Troopy I ever drove was for sale here in California and had dealer plates on it. At the time the truck was only about 17 years old, so the importation on it was questionable enough (in my mind) that I did not pursue the purchase.

You can slap a dealer tag on any vehicle and drive it.

I was under the impression that any grey market that is directly imported into CA can not be sold to a resident of CA...yet they can still inventory this JDM cruiser?

Since it's not illegal to own in CA, I presume it can be made for sale to CA residents.

CA residents, however, should be wary of purchasing such a vehicle without understanding the (un)likelihood of being able to register it and use it to drive on the roads.

I was under the impression that any grey market that is directly imported into CA can not be sold to a resident of CA...yet they can still inventory this JDM cruiser?

It can be sold to anyone, whether the buyer can get it registered in California is another question. Or it could be bought by someone in another state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom