California Spec vs Federal Spec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have always thought my 1980 FJ40 was a California Spec. As I recall there was a sticker under the hood, when I bought the rig. (I have since replaced the hood). But now that I look at the VIN plate, it clearly says “Federal safety” standards.

If this was a Cal Spec, would it also say “California Emission Standards” on the VIN plate ?

34AC2301-9CCC-4A00-A7A3-6033AA23738A.jpeg

What p/n emission computer do you have? 60110 or 60120?
Where is the emissions computer located ? The black box on the firewall behind the peddles ?

it was right around that time when all rigs sold in the US were made for CA emissions
back in the 70's I remember rigs being sold either had CA emissions or 49 state emissions

Yes it will be in the firewall behind the fuse panel. 1981+ all us trucks used the same emissions computer.

Over the years I've collected a number of ECUs as replacements for my 7/89 FJ62. There are multiple part numbers. Search on Amayama showed a change 2/88. Two before and two after. One of each shows as California spec. If they dropped cal spec on the 40 series they obviously brought them back later.

My 5/79 40 is California emissions spec and my door jam plate also says meets Federal safety standards. My emissions control unit is a 89550-60120.

Over the years I've collected a number of ECUs as replacements for my 7/89 FJ62. There are multiple part numbers. Search on Amayama showed a change 2/88. Two before and two after. One of each shows as California spec. If they dropped cal spec on the 40 series they obviously brought them back later.

The cali 62 series 3fe ecu had an input for the EGR temp. The only difference I could see between the cali and fed ecu was a missing resistor. I'm guess it told the processor if it was looking for an EGR temp input or not. Both ECUs had the same processor and firmware.

The cali 62 series 3fe ecu had an input for the EGR temp. The only difference I could see between the cali and fed ecu was a missing resistor. I'm guess it told the processor if it was looking for an EGR temp input or not. Both ECUs had the same processor and firmware.

Back in the nineties was possible send you ECU in to a private company and have it modified for better performance. Issue was very possibly wouldn't pass emissions. Thought about sending in my spare and having it done. Then bought a new Tundra with a 4.7 and next a 4Runner with a 4.7. Didn't seem as important after that. I do know
I plugged in my first replacement to verify it worked. Doubt I verified the part number but did not have any error code. Bought the 62 used in 93 but know it was originally leased in AZ and hope it's a fed not a cal model.

The 3fe ecu has the firmware in Rom on the processor, no way to do anything with it without a piggyback like the 7mgte supra guys have produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom