California carb? OEM carb setup help needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

firefighterjed

SILVER Star
Threads
What makes an OEM carb “California”
My PO installed a Weber 32/36. I was gifted an OEM ‘76 California spec carb 21100-61072. This part number is only present one year: ‘76 California.

Assuming that California legislation forced Toyota to make less-good changes to this carb, what do I need to do to make it the best carb possible (short of sending it to Jim or mark)
I’ve rebuilt a few carbs, so it’s not unfamiliar territory but I wouldn’t call myself skilled. On of the great joys of owning our FJ40s is that they’re so analog, and we can truly take apart broken parts and fix them so I do want to do this myself. I can always send it out if I’m unable to achieve satisfactory results.

I have the rebuild kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters with the secondaries diaphragm too.

I’m guessing that the Cali spec was jetted different but hoping one of you wizards will steer me in the right direction.

78C08684-0074-450C-BF07-F35434CB5A5A.jpeg

I’d watch the Pinhead videos on YouTube. He does a great job at walking through the disassembly and reassembly, explaining how things work along the way.
You’ll want to take note of the jet sizes. IIRC, I believe on my ‘76, I drilled out my 144 primary to 150(1.5mm). Mine has been running well for a few years now(11,000 miles and counting). I’d have to dig out my notes to know for sure what size jets I'm running now.
There’s lots of threads on this if you haven’t already been reading them.

I’d watch the Pinhead videos on YouTube. He does a great job at walking through the disassembly and reassembly, explaining how things work along the way.
You’ll want to take note of the jet sizes. IIRC, I believe on my ‘76, I drilled out my 144 primary to 150(1.5mm). Mine has been running well for a few years now(11,000 miles and counting). I’d have to dig out my notes to know for sure what size jets I'm running now.
There’s lots of threads on this if you haven’t already been reading them.
Yes yes and yes, poke around online and find a PDF of your year factory service manual, between that book and @pinhead videos you will be fine

Yes, I believe that the primary main jet is smaller than the federal model. I think it is a 124, but it has been a long time since I looked. There may be other minor differences too.

Yes, I believe that the primary main jet is smaller than the federal model. I think it is a 124, but it has been a long time since I looked. There may be other minor differences too.
Thanks, I’m hoping someone knows the other differences, if any.
Also, pinhead, thanks for posting those videos. I’ve already watched them a couple time. Stuff like that is super valuable to the community. 👍👍👍

Bring it over Jed, we can rebuild it! Plus there's a vapor blaster in Garden City area so we can really get it pretty.

Jetting should be 124/230 for Cal spec but with ethanol, it might behoove you to fatten it up, but you'd know after looking at plugs and doing a tune. Do you have the original vacuum retard dizzy or what?

Thanks Nate. What’s the federal spec? My root questions was, “what Cali spec things do I need to undo to optimize performance?”

What’s the name of the vapor blaster? I have an ultrasonic bin that does a pretty good job but I have a couple things that could use that service.

Thanks Nate. What’s the federal spec? My root questions was, “what Cali spec things do I need to undo to optimize performance?”

What’s the name of the vapor blaster? I have an ultrasonic bin that does a pretty good job but I have a couple things that could use that service.
Fast Blast and Coat. I'd actually ultrasonic, vapor blast, then ultrasonic to finish, just don't use any type of cleaner for the final ultrasonic bath. Then blow out all the orifices with compressed air.

Depending on the month/year of the carb it is either 136 or 144 for primary and 171 or 230 for Main. Get the date code off the carb and it will tell you what you're dealing with.

I‘m running a 21100-61032 manufactured on Christmas Day 1975 in my ‘77. My truck had been converted to aftermarket and I converted it back, this just happened to be the carb I found. My first carb rebuild and getting it converted back was a challenge due to rookie mistakes on my part, vac leaks and issues with the jetting.

I ended up with 150 in the primary (65 slow) matched with 220 in the main (180 slow). I had idle issues until I got a big enough slow jet matched with the primary jets. Nearly 10 years since I did this and it’s been great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom