Cali -Bay Area FJ40 gal here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Working on a hybrid overlander/crawler build for my 73FJ40.

Gotta work through some steering issues, replace the chevy small block (still researching which one I want), upgrade the 3spd to a 5spd tranny (thinking H55 or NV4500), upgrade to a 4 spd split transfer case (not sure on this one yet either), add in lockers, winch, air compressor, rear bumper (love the Kaymar, but damn it's pricey) .

Would love some recommendations on good local (Bay Area) honest/reasonable shops specializing in the FJ40 and any insight from those of you who've already endeavored down this path.

Lots of other things in the works too like adding back in long jump seats in the rear (working on a fabrication since i have roll bars), fixing some nit natty stuff with the interior cosmetics, roof rack and roof top tent (thinking maggiolina but also pricey, so still looking) and tint the rear windows.

Will try and get pics up soon and a list of the stuff already done.

Cheers!

Welcome to MUD! You might try giving George at Valley Hybrids a call. His work is excellent but he's likely very backed up.

@Tisha Dee

You're in the wrong section. You want to be in the FJ40 section. FJCruisers are a whole different beast.

You have a big work list, but should end up in a great place. LS 5.3 with NV4500 would be great. You're talking real $$ though. You could save a bit by just using a Land Cruiser 4 speed and Orion. The FJ40 has a short driveline so running a long transmission is difficult.

For this kind of work, Georg at Valley Hybrids (Stockton) is your guy.

You could go simpler and cheaper and better with an FJ40 rear bumper from 4plus:

4PlusProducts | FJ40 | Tire Carriers | Rear Tow Bumper with Tire and Cooler Carrier

Best place to start: Front axle upgrade to FJ60 knuckles and disc brakes.

Post up what you have, move this to the right section and you'll get a bunch of help spending your money!

Hi all,

Tisha, welcome to MUD!

Building a FJ40 to be both a rock crawler AND an expedition rig is a tall order.

I think the first step is establishing your budget for the build, then seeing which parts and mods you can fit into it. If you are paying a shop to do the work this will drain your budget fast.

Good luck,

Alan

Hi everyone,

Working on a hybrid overlander/crawler build for my 73FJ40.

Gotta work through some steering issues, replace the chevy small block (still researching which one I want), upgrade the 3spd to a 5spd tranny (thinking H55 or NV4500), upgrade to a 4 spd split transfer case (not sure on this one yet either), add in lockers, winch, air compressor, rear bumper (love the Kaymar, but damn it's pricey) .

Would love some recommendations on good local (Bay Area) honest/reasonable shops specializing in the FJ40 and any insight from those of you who've already endeavored down this path.

Lots of other things in the works too like adding back in long jump seats in the rear (working on a fabrication since i have roll bars), fixing some nit natty stuff with the interior cosmetics, roof rack and roof top tent (thinking maggiolina but also pricey, so still looking) and tint the rear windows.

Will try and get pics up soon and a list of the stuff already done.

Cheers!

Second the 4plus bumper. Second the reality check on the budget. Way too many half built, bail out rigs out there already. In fact, if you're not emotionally tied to the rig you already have, you may find a half or even 3/4 built rig for a fraction of what you'd spend.

If this a realistic option for you, place a want ad and see what happens.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

I think you are on the right track with the 5 speed. I'd argue that the transmission choice is more important than the motor.

Welcome to Mud. You could call Ron at Custom Cruisers FJ40 in Gilroy. He''s pretty well known in the south Bay area.

Good luck.

Welcome to Club Mud! You won't find a better place for info and guidance. :cheers:

Welcome to mud

Pics pics pics :)

Be sure to include a pic of the front... need to be sure your bezel is on correctly ... there is nothing more embarrassing then an upside down bezel ... well...

Maybe calling it an Fj :meh:

Your all good however calling it an fj40

My cruiser is at Valley Hybrids as I type. Georg @orangefj45 does amazing work and is reasonable and honest. All they do is land cruisers. As they say, he's forgotten more than most will ever know.

If you have AAA, have it towed out there. There is a clean $7 bus shuttle from Dublin BART that will take you out to Stockton only 1 mile from his shop. Georg has picked me up at the bus drop off!

We need some pics!!!

Yes to pics.

Welcome Tish, lets see some pics of that rig!!

Welcome from San Jose! x2 on the budget check, but even more so on the time check! Funds have never been a problem for me (I laugh as I type, I'm not rich, just not married yet, lol), my issue is time and balancing the 'do it yourself to learn' vs just pay someone to finish it. No matter how you plan to go, it will take plenty of both to see this through.

Post some photos and see you around!

Built my 71 40 as you described...NV4500 tranny, orion 4:1 transfercase, 60 series axle housings, ARB lockers f&r, SBC. great driver on the street and kicks ass offroad. I built an offroad trailer that I tow so the chevy motor is a must for me. Georg @ valley hybrids is the man.

Thanks for all the kind words and referrals, I appreciate it.

Tish, welcome to mud!!!! You'll find that it's a great resource and close-knit community of people willing to help each other out.

Feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to chat about your project.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808

My cruiser is at Valley Hybrids as I type. Georg @orangefj45 does amazing work and is reasonable and honest. All they do is land cruisers. As they say, he's forgotten more than most will ever know.

If you have AAA, have it towed out there. There is a clean $7 bus shuttle from Dublin BART that will take you out to Stockton only 1 mile from his shop. Georg has picked me up at the bus drop off!

We need some pics!!!

Exactly as this man says. Go see Georg and crew and they will take care of it properly for you the first time. You are lucky to have that resource so close to where you live, so use it!

Hi Tish welcome to the madness. On RTT right now you can sign up to buy a Skycamper, one of the nicest on the market. It is being sold through Go Fund me right now. If you sign up before 13 April you will safe significant $ on a terrific tent.

Hi Tish welcome to the madness. On RTT right now you can sign up to buy a Skycamper, one of the nicest on the market. It is being sold through Go Fund me right now. If you sign up before 13 April you will safe significant $ on a terrific tent.
Not to hijack this thread but did you buy one of these? I was looking at them and hoping for some owner feedback. PM is OK to avoid the thread hijack. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom