Cafe racer project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
Because I don't have enough things to do I've been thinking about a cafe racer project. Currently my thought have been going to two really different directions.

Something entirely different like a cafe based on a GL1000 Gold Wing
Honda_GL1000.jpg

303299591.jpg

Something classic, spidery, narrow and see-through

index.47.jpg

Or something in between like a Guzzi or BMW based bike

ShinyGuzzi.jpg

Unless you are a huge fat fxxx, I would go smaller than a 1000cc bike. :meh: Cafe racers are not that comfortable, so the big cruising engine would be a waste--are you really going to stay out on the highway for hours on that?

I'd go smaller. I really like the Honda 450 and 550 cafe racers I've seen. And I saw a real nice one just the other day near my office, but I could not for the life of me figure out what it was originally! :lol:

Any of the CBs are good choices for a Japanese version (my usual favorites for everyday dependability). I've recently seen some CX500 cafes, XS400 or 650, and a few of the Kwaks too. Purists will call for a British bike, but to me cafe bikes are about taking what you have and building it to be fast, light, and nimble.... no matter the make/model.

here's a pic of my current CB450 I'm working on....

DSCN1544.jpg

Spidery narrow and see through won the day.

I picked up a KZ750 twin today. The PO started the cafe conversion, but it has a way to go before it's what I want.

Something like Nat's Dad's or the Duc in the above pic is what I'm shooting for.

Any of the CBs are good choices for a Japanese version (my usual favorites for everyday dependability). I've recently seen some CX500 cafes, XS400 or 650, and a few of the Kwaks too. Purists will call for a British bike, but to me cafe bikes are about taking what you have and building it to be fast, light, and nimble.... no matter the make/model.

here's a pic of my current CB450 I'm working on....

DSCN1544.jpg

Do you have the electrics under the bum stop, or did you eliminate them altogether?

wiring is all under the seat.

Gumby, how is it going? Are you doing this? UPdate?

Unless you are a huge fat fxxx, I would go smaller than a 1000cc bike. :meh: Cafe racers are not that comfortable, so the big cruising engine would be a waste--are you really going to stay out on the highway for hours on that?

I'd go smaller. I really like the Honda 450 and 550 cafe racers I've seen. And I saw a real nice one just the other day near my office, but I could not for the life of me figure out what it was originally! :lol:

And I would like to temper this previous comment. I still like the smaller cafe/bobber bikes. And I think the larger platform is impractical--all the umpff to ride the slabs, but none of the accoutrement to make those longer rides practical--comfy seat, trunks, fairing, racks, etc. But, all that said, this is one bad ass looking toy with a lot of get up and go. If I ever went big, this would be it.

krbobber.jpg

And he's a mudder, too. ;) kevinmrowland. . . .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom