CADA Lobbying for Scrap Prog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT: Oops, my bad. I now see this is April 2009. One would think from an industry fighting for its life that a 2009 press release would not be at the top of their press release list. Still, I think my idea at the bottom of the post is something to consider.

I came across this CADA press release calling for another vehcicle scrap program. Interestingly it came only 5 days before the Quebec ban announcement. Its pretty clear they want everything the gov can put in place to ensure people have to buy their new crap.

Canadian Automobile Dealers Association

Dealers Address Automotive Crisis, Call for a National Vehicle Scrappage Program
OTTAWA, April 20 /CNW Telbec/ - Today on Parliament Hill, the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association (CADA) renewed its call for the implementation of a robust vehicle scrappage program at the federal level. Since November of last year, vehicle sales have been in steep decline in Canada and all of the other measures taken in support of the auto industry to date could be for naught if the demand side of the issue is not addressed. A fleet renewal program that is more signifigant than the current $300 program would do much to stimulate sales in Canada.

"We congratulate the federal government in its recent efforts to stabilize Canada's auto sector," said Bill Taylor, CADA's Chairman, "but more must be done to address the issue of declining sales across Canada. Without robust demand in the marketplace and showrooms full of potential buyers, we fear that the investments that have already been made may not have the desired effect of stabilizing the industry."

Mr. Taylor congratulated the government on the announcement of the $12 billion Canadian Secured Credit Facility (CSCF), from the 2009 Federal Budget. CADA communicated the need for just such a facility in the pre-budget period, and the government delivered. Now the program must be designed and rolled out as quickly as possible, he said.

"Despite record-low interest rate reductions from the Bank of Canada, commercial banks have not been open for business for months for our dealers. This is not acceptable or sustainable. The CSCF should help ease tightening credit conditions facing Canada's dealers and consumers, but the money needs to flow immediately," said Mr. Taylor. "If this program were combined with a fleet renewal program worth $3,000 for the retirement of an old vehicle, the effect on sales would be immediate. Germany's program, for example - worth 2,500 Euros - has increased sales in that country by some 300,000 units."

The overriding problem facing Canada's vehicle industry is a lack of sales. A comprehensive national scrappage program would address this issue by stimulating additional sales of new vehicles this year. Scrappage programs remove old vehicles from the road and replace them with new ones, refreshing the national vehicle fleet more quickly than the unregulated market's rate of attrition would allow. In addition to the economic benefits stemming from a healthy automotive retail sector, scrappage programs also offer numerous environmental benefits and could play an important role in helping our nation reduce its climatic impact, since older cars pollute as much as 37 times as
much as a new car.

"An aggressive scrappage program would help achieve much sought-after dual economic-environmental policy objectives," continued Mr. Taylor. "It would be the perfect policy to prove that economic growth and environmental protection are not mutually exclusive. When policies are designed properly, these important goals can be addressed in conjunction with one another."

CADA has also urged the government to close regulatory loopholes that allow several thousand right-hand drive (RHD) vehicles on to Canada's roads despite the fact that they do not comply with the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. These vehicles pose a risk to Canadian citizens and undermine the pursuit of Canada's safety and environmental goals. The details of the RHD safety and environmental concerns are addressed in a new CADA report.

The Canadian Automobile Dealers Association (CADA) is the national association for franchised automobile dealerships that sell new cars and trucks. Our 3,500 dealers represent a key sector of Canada's economy. Through our dealers, we are represented in nearly every community and those dealers collectively employ over 140,000 people across the country.

For further information: Kate Poirier, CADA Public Affairs, (613)
230-2079, Cell: (613) 889-3846, kate@cada.ca

Last edited:
I came across this CADA press release calling for another vehcicle s**** program. Interestingly it came only 5 days before the Quebec ban announcement. Its pretty clear they want everything the gov can put in place to ensure people have to buy their new ****.

Canadian Automobile Dealers Association

Dealers Address Automotive Crisis, Call for a National Vehicle S****page Program
OTTAWA, April 20 /CNW Telbec/ - Today on Parliament Hill, the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association (CADA) renewed its call for the implementation of a robust vehicle s****page program at the federal level. Since November of last year, vehicle sales have been in steep decline in Canada and all of the other measures taken in support of the auto industry to date could be for naught if the demand side of the issue is not addressed. A fleet renewal program that is more signifigant than the current $300 program would do much to stimulate sales in Canada.

"We congratulate the federal government in its recent efforts to stabilize Canada's auto sector," said Bill Taylor, CADA's Chairman, "but more must be done to address the issue of declining sales across Canada. Without robust demand in the marketplace and showrooms full of potential buyers, we fear that the investments that have already been made may not have the desired effect of stabilizing the industry."

Mr. Taylor congratulated the government on the announcement of the $12 billion Canadian Secured Credit Facility (CSCF), from the 2009 Federal Budget. CADA communicated the need for just such a facility in the pre-budget period, and the government delivered. Now the program must be designed and rolled out as quickly as possible, he said.

"Despite record-low interest rate reductions from the Bank of Canada, commercial banks have not been open for business for months for our dealers. This is not acceptable or sustainable. The CSCF should help ease tightening credit conditions facing Canada's dealers and consumers, but the money needs to flow immediately," said Mr. Taylor. "If this program were combined with a fleet renewal program worth $3,000 for the retirement of an old vehicle, the effect on sales would be immediate. Germany's program, for example - worth 2,500 Euros - has increased sales in that country by some 300,000 units."

The overriding problem facing Canada's vehicle industry is a lack of sales. A comprehensive national s****page program would address this issue by stimulating additional sales of new vehicles this year. S****page programs remove old vehicles from the road and replace them with new ones, refreshing the national vehicle fleet more quickly than the unregulated market's rate of attrition would allow. In addition to the economic benefits stemming from a healthy automotive retail sector, s****page programs also offer numerous environmental benefits and could play an important role in helping our nation reduce its climatic impact, since older cars pollute as much as 37 times as
much as a new car.

"An aggressive s****page program would help achieve much sought-after dual economic-environmental policy objectives," continued Mr. Taylor. "It would be the perfect policy to prove that economic growth and environmental protection are not mutually exclusive. When policies are designed properly, these important goals can be addressed in conjunction with one another."

CADA has also urged the government to close regulatory loopholes that allow several thousand right-hand drive (RHD) vehicles on to Canada's roads despite the fact that they do not comply with the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. These vehicles pose a risk to Canadian citizens and undermine the pursuit of Canada's safety and environmental goals. The details of the RHD safety and environmental concerns are addressed in a new CADA report.

The Canadian Automobile Dealers Association (CADA) is the national association for franchised automobile dealerships that sell new cars and trucks. Our 3,500 dealers represent a key sector of Canada's economy. Through our dealers, we are represented in nearly every community and those dealers collectively employ over 140,000 people across the country.

For further information: Kate Poirier, CADA Public Affairs, (613)
230-2079, Cell: (613) 889-3846, kate@cada.ca

All I can say is wow. Not going off or anything but thats s***. So scap the old so we have to buy new? Are they going to pay for the cars and trucks for us? I'm all for the enviro and econo but come on. One more thing, If they want us to buy there cars and trucks LOWER THE PRICE!

just my 2 cents

All I can say is wow. Not going off or anything but thats ****. So scap the old so we have to buy new? Are they going to pay for the cars and trucks for us? I'm all for the enviro and econo but come on. One more thing, If they want us to buy there cars and trucks LOWER THE PRICE!

just my 2 cents

You know who is going to pay for any scr@p - the tax payers. Even if you look at their pdf where they show other countries where the dealers are going to pay 50% of the incentive, you can be damn sure that it will be the poor consumer who foots the bill in the end (that 50% will be in the final purchase price). But 75% of the consumers will buy it just like they buy the dealership trade-in as getting more money than they would for their old vehicle on a private sale.

What about the aftermarket parts dealers and their jobs?
If i want to buy a car i will buy a car, i don't need some pin dick salesman or three more levels of his bosses to sell me on the idea.
Let them go extinct.

What about the aftermarket parts dealers and their jobs?
If i want to buy a car i will buy a car, i don't need some pin dick salesman or three more levels of his bosses to sell me on the idea.
Let them go extinct.

I presume the only ones that matter to our government are the ones who are represented here: Canadian Automotive Partnership Council - Mandate Talk about the 'old boys club' <Belinda excepted :D> of consumer and tax payer parasites: http://capcinfo.ca/english/members-membres.html.

You know who is going to pay for any scr@p - the tax payers. Even if you look at their pdf where they show other countries where the dealers are going to pay 50% of the incentive, you can be damn sure that it will be the poor consumer who foots the bill in the end (that 50% will be in the final purchase price). But 75% of the consumers will buy it just like they buy the dealership trade-in as getting more money than they would for their old vehicle on a private sale.

They'll take my scrap from my cold, dead hands. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom