CAD model thread? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if anyone has ever seen or put together a thread that shares CAD data? Recently saw a tailgate/bumper design from @DangerNoodle done in OnShape. I have seen others occasionally that were done in Inventor or Solidworks, etc. I personally use Creo (Pro/E) and have done a few things for 3d printing (antenae clip) and some fixtures for bending tubes for making jump seats pieces. My search didn't reveal any dedicated threads.

just found this thread while searching for a CAD model of a 75 series Troopy, or any narrow front end 75+ series troopy really -- happy to pay for a quality model. I second the thread starter that a CAD directory so to speak would be super helpful!

As a noob-and only at the very interested level, where would you start? Best learning programs? i'd be interested in 3d printing plastic and maybe some metal down the road. Thanks.

I have not messed around with this yet, I was researching it for work applications, but it would be awesome to scan some 40 series parts. Putting them in a step or iges file would allow for them to be used in most modeling software.

Currently the company I work for uses Solid Edge, I would not recommend it. We are slowly transitioning to Solid Works, which seems to be most used based on resumes I've seen, followed by Inventor. If you have a student ID that is the cheapest way to get a seat. When I interned at Toyota (in 2007) they used Catia.

Here is all of my crap that I mess around with. I'm happy to make stuff for people when I have the time.

My 40's planned Roof Rack.

Roof Rack ISO.PNG

A Front Bumper.

40 Bumper Design ISO.PNG

A Rear Bumper.

FJ40 Rear Bumper ISO.PNG

The current plan for my tube fenders (Unfinished)

Front Fenders ISO.PNG

My Fuel Tank (Works great! 28 GAL)

Fuel Tank ISO.PNG

As a noob-and only at the very interested level, where would you start? Best learning programs? i'd be interested in 3d printing plastic and maybe some metal down the road. Thanks.
Take a course at your local university. I also use Creo, and sometimes Solidworks. When I went through the course for ME's it was 16 weeks long and 6+ hours a week. We learned a ton but still only scratched the surface of the software. It is extremely frustrating when you first learn.

I have not messed around with this yet, I was researching it for work applications, but it would be awesome to scan some 40 series parts. Putting them in a step or iges file would allow for them to be used in most modeling software.

Currently the company I work for uses Solid Edge, I would not recommend it. We are slowly transitioning to Solid Works, which seems to be most used based on resumes I've seen, followed by Inventor. If you have a student ID that is the cheapest way to get a seat. When I interned at Toyota (in 2007) they used Catia.

Looks interesting. I have not done any scanning, but have been on the receiving end of many scanned models. The challenge is getting the scanned results into a useable format once it is brought into a CAD system. The output from a scanner is a faceted model (ie. .stl file format) which is the framework lattice you see in the picture of the scanned car. These can easily be imported into most any CAD package, but they are not easily converted into what is commonly referred to as B-rep geometry (which is what all CAD systems generate when you model something and allows it to be modified). So, in my opinion scanning is great if you can plan to take it directly to a 3d printer, but not easy to manipulate if you want a modifiable model in a CAD tool. I have also used them successfully as a template or backdrop to creating a native CAD file.

Here is all of my crap that I mess around with. I'm happy to make stuff for people when I have the time.

My 40's planned Roof Rack.

View attachment 2717577

A Front Bumper.

View attachment 2717637

A Rear Bumper.

View attachment 2717635

The current plan for my tube fenders (Unfinished)

View attachment 2717639

My Fuel Tank (Works great! 28 GAL)

View attachment 2717636
Awesome stuff! I like the idea of using Onshape. It's free and easy to use. The free version is open to anyone that signs up. The big advantage with using this is that all files in the free version can be seen by anyone. This means all we would need for sharing files is the URL to the design. No one needs to store any large files that way. I was able to log in and see your model in about 30 seconds!

Looks interesting. I have not done any scanning, but have been on the receiving end of many scanned models. The challenge is getting the scanned results into a useable format once it is brought into a CAD system. The output from a scanner is a faceted model (ie. .stl file format) which is the framework lattice you see in the picture of the scanned car. These can easily be imported into most any CAD package, but they are not easily converted into what is commonly referred to as B-rep geometry (which is what all CAD systems generate when you model something and allows it to be modified). So, in my opinion scanning is great if you can plan to take it directly to a 3d printer, but not easy to manipulate if you want a modifiable model in a CAD tool. I have also used them successfully as a template or backdrop to creating a native CAD file.
Ive dealt with scanned models in a past life, using scans of civil foundations we would retrofit heavy equipment into. If I ever wanted to modify them I would interpolate and remodel the surfaces, or just use them as a basis to measure off as I was not going to do that in a greasy pit in the field lol. Otherwise it is just a reference

My thought was for things like clearances, as used in the video above. He scanned the Telasa gear and the car body, then saw the frame issues. Engine bay envelope dims, frame geometry for the hard core guys building suspensions, and models of parts to work off like an engine block.

Take a course at your local university. I also use Creo, and sometimes Solidworks. When I went through the course for ME's it was 16 weeks long and 6+ hours a week. We learned a ton but still only scratched the surface of the software. It is extremely frustrating when you first learn.
Check out local Community Colleges. That is probably the cheapest way to learn and those programs are designed to give you the essentials. They also schedule to accommodate part time students.

Once you know the fundamentals, software like Solidworks has internal tutorials to run through and there is a ton of information on youtube. Resellers can also be a good resource for training.

Just curious if anyone has ever seen or put together a thread that shares CAD data? Recently saw a tailgate/bumper design from @DangerNoodle done in OnShape. I have seen others occasionally that were done in Inventor or Solidworks, etc. I personally use Creo (Pro/E) and have done a few things for 3d printing (antenae clip) and some fixtures for bending tubes for making jump seats pieces. My search didn't reveal any dedicated threads

I have a rough 2d frame plan & profile AutoCad .dwg file for an FJ40 frame. I drew it off of a scaled frame drawing found on MUD. Also have a 2D Line drawing of an FJ45 LBP, although I am unsure of the accuracy and cannot remember where I got it from. I used to have a solidworks file for an FJ40 frame and body parts (they were red in color). They were emailed to me by a member here 12+ years ago, but cannot find the email. I just looked through all of my old hard drives and cannot for the life of me find them there either :( I remember having issues with the files or with my version of SW, I think I got frustrated and just deleted the files so I'd stop fussing with it and wasting time. I'll keep digging and see if I can find something.

Last edited:
You could try the links in this thread:

New Synthetic Fairlead I am planning on making for my cruiser on CNC's at school. The synthetic should hook right up around either end, giving a secure, non-bashable place to store the line.

Fairlead Front.PNG

Fairlead Back.PNG

Fairlead Top.PNG

I'm a bit old fashioned and use autoCAD. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into inventor but boy it's expensive.
I mainly use autoCAD for 2D work designing the mechanisms in my folding knives but it comes in handy when I need to figure something out for the 45 build.
Some body mounts I drew up and then had laser cut...
20211214_195444.jpg

I'm a bit old fashioned and use autoCAD. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into inventor but boy it's expensive.
I mainly use autoCAD for 2D work designing the mechanisms in my folding knives but it comes in handy when I need to figure something out for the 45 build.
Some body mounts I drew up and then had laser cut...
View attachment 2894259
Look into Fusion 360. Does a lot of what Inventor can do but at a fraction of the cost. I've used Solidworks, Inventor, Fusion and a few others and fusion is likely the best bang for your buck if looking for and autodesk product. It's user friendly and includes a bunch of other features like CAM, Simulation, Rendering. It's fairly powerful.

Look into Fusion 360. Does a lot of what Inventor can do but at a fraction of the cost. I've used Solidworks, Inventor, Fusion and a few others and fusion is likely the best bang for your buck if looking for and autodesk product. It's user friendly and includes a bunch of other features like CAM, Simulation, Rendering. It's fairly powerful.
Thanks. I've demo'd fusion once and I was impressed at some of the tools but found the UI not as intuitive to me as autoCAD. Maybe I need to have another look and watch some YouTube to help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom