Cable lockers question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will cable lockers from a 75 series fit in BJ42 housings? Axles have to made to fit? worth the hastle if any versus ARB air lockers?

You would have to modify the axle housing for the fork to be able to fully engage the locker. Also, you would need a long spline axle for yours - one for a semi floating I believe (can't remember if 40's are full or semi). I have asked a few axle shops about modifying a non locker axle to make it work with a cable locker - they say it's a bad idea. The splines on the axles are actually pressed in when it is made - and tempered, to try to buld up and cut the splines would remove the temper.

Long spline axles for a 7X series are between 4-500 each.

Regards,

Locker rear axles must be full floating and therefore its easier to take a whole 70 series and use it. Rear axles are the same width between 40/70 and relocating spring perches is an easy job by using new Dodge perches (a pair in the box) and hacking off the old ones. 40 series mounts are approx 1/2 inboard per side vs 70 series (take a quick measurement before destroying the 70 mounts and compare to 40 series.) A 60 series donor axle has the same long spline short side axle - but a 1981 or later 40 or 70 full float will have to be found.

front axles like Louis said need only:
-cut the diff mount area at 9:00 for the locker fork (easiest to use a locker gasket for template)
-use the 3-4 longer studs to mount the diff
-use a long side long spline inner axle.

rigging the cables is the hardest job.

side note: Brian at Front Range Off Road made me 30 spline inner axle shafts with the 4" diff side spline to install in my 70 series cable lockers.

side note: Brian at Front Range Off Road made me 30 spline inner axle shafts with the 4" diff side spline to install in my 70 series cable lockers.

Rick, check your PM's.

gb

He made a shaft, what kind of pricing? Also, i checked the parts numbers for the diff gaskets - they are the same for with and without lockers - or did i miss something?

rear 9.5" diff gasket (70/80 series) w/ locker is different.

8" front diff is another bird and don't care to go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom