cable locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i think I was reading a catalog couple of years ago and I thought I saw a locker diff that was cable activated like a handbrake. Do any landcruisers have these or did I lose my mind?

OX makes a cable operated locker. I believe these lockers are designed for Dana 30 and Dana 44 (Dana 60 is next?) only. The shift fork is in diff cover. I don't believe OX has made anything for a 3rd member style diff (ford 9", toyota, etc)...

If you find out differently, post it.!!!

Toyota has a cable locker that was available on non-north american trucks. There are a few guys importing them from Japan to Canada (B.C.). They come in a full floating axle in the rear, and require different lengh inner axle shaft (can't remember if is long or sort side) up front.

Brandon

Toyota had optional cable lockers in the 60 and 70 series between 1986 and 1990. AFAIK it was not a Canadian option, but there are some that were brought into No. America by individuals or other companies. There was supposedly one pallette sent by mistake to the US by Toyota which sat for a long time at a dealer. Because there was no demand, the whole pallette was sold to a wholesaler. I was able to get a pair from this pallette. Here is a pic:
site1029.jpg

Now they are available from these companies:
G&S Cruiserparts www.gscruiserparts.com and
SOR www.sor.com

as Brandon says, a long splined shaft is needed for the side where the mechanism sits (long side front, short side rear. Both shafts are available from Mudrak Custom Cruisers www.mudrak.com

Dave

Dave, IIRC, you have custom pulls for yours don't you? That's got to be a sweet setup man! Anyway, there was a 60 series FF axle assembly with factory Toy cable lock in it on Ebay a few weeks ago. Went for $1600. It was totally reconditioned. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me considerin' how rare they are. The seller's were in fact G&S Cruiserparts--those guys are gettin' some damn cool stuff in! They e-mailed me when they got it in and told me they were asking $2000 for it so I passed and purchased other stuff. I woulda jumped for it for the $1600 if I woulda had the $$$... :'(

Anyway, there are a LOT of little pieces for the cable lockers and they seem hard to get. IOW, be ready to pay $$$ to get them. I was told by a LC guru in Japan, that there was over 200 hundred parts for the cable locker assembly :eek: . But, you could do custom pulls like Dave and avoid having to mess with so many parts...

Another option that can be alot easier to get a hold of and can be a LOT cheaper is to go with Toyota Electric lockers. Only thing that's kind of a pain to get a hold of is a FF rear end, but $OR and MAF usually have them, it's just that shipping them that sucks.

-Ferg-

Here in Finland cable lockers are quite common. They are stock in almost every HJ-61`s and many BJ-75`s. Price is usually about 1000-2000 $ for both front and rear depending on condition. If you get very good deal you can get them even cheaper. I´m going to go look one -88 BJ-75 with lockers next week. It has re built transfer case and front axle with original Toyota parts. The owner is asking 4700 euros ( just about the same in $) for it. If it is in as good condition as he told me on the phone I`ll offer him 4200 but I`m willing to pay 4500 ;) We`ll see how it goes.
Mikko

[quote author=IironSika link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62718#msg62718 date=1068754753]Price is usually about 1000-2000 $ for both front and rear depending on condition.[/quote]

Is that for complete axle assemblies? Or for just the cable locking third-members?

-Ferg-

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62793#msg62793 date=1068764843]
Is that for complete axle assemblies? Or for just the cable locking third-members?

-Ferg-
[/quote]

That`s the price for complete axle with birfs, brakes and all 8)
Mikko

If I buy that BJ next week, then I`ll have a pair of those. BUT I`m not selling them :D
They are going to under my pig and HJ-60 axles are going under BJ because it will be my DD and doesn`t need lockers.
Mikko

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62676#msg62676 date=1068747601]
Dave, IIRC, you have custom pulls for yours don't you? [/quote]

Yep. Cable Controls from So Cal set me up.

site1034.JPG

A lot cheaper but a set of 70 series factory shifters would have been sweet.

Dave

[quote author=OlympiaFJ60 link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62608#msg62608 date=1068736001]
They come in a full floating axle in the rear, and require different lengh inner axle shaft (can't remember if is long or sort side) up front.

Brandon
[/quote]

Short side rear, long side front.

Says Dave, cable locked FJ75.

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62812#msg62812 date=1068766872]
Dude, you need to find some of those and send 'em over to me! I would jump on 'em for $2000 let alone $1000.

-Ferg-
[/quote]

If all he sends is one set then the shipping is going to add a lot to that bill. Like in the are of 50% or more. In order to keep the unit price reasonable you need to ship at least 5 to 10 cubic meters at a time. Trust me I know this stuff.

And even then some of the goods are not going to be as good as you think they are going to be. It is time consuming and costly to inspect and buy a bunch of stuff from various sources and get it all ready for shipping. If it was dead easy MAF and SOR would not exist.

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62676#msg62676 date=1068747601]
Anyway, there was a 60 series FF axle assembly with factory Toy cable lock in it on Ebay a few weeks ago. Went for $1600. It was totally reconditioned. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me considerin' how rare they are. The seller's were in fact G&S Cruiserparts--those guys are gettin' some damn cool stuff in!
-Ferg-
[/quote]

Well Ferg you are in luck. A little bird tells me that G&S have at least one more set in bound on the next shipment. Probably ready for resale in late January some time.

The 60 series shifters are indeed complex, costly and difficult to install. The 70 series shifters are simple, much cheaper and look far cooler. Think big meaty levers hanging under the dash. That fly boy Sean has seen and touched mine, G&S has at least one set of shifters on hand (along with a bunch of other parts, like OEM snork and more little bits and pieces than I can recall).

[quote author=IironSika link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62834#msg62834 date=1068772039]
If I buy that BJ next week, then I`ll have a pair of those. BUT I`m not selling them :D
They are going to under my pig and HJ-60 axles are going under BJ because it will be my DD and doesn`t need lockers.
Mikko
[/quote]

How wide are 75 series axle assemblies? As wide as 60 series? Or as wide as 80 series? I was thinking they were the same width as 70 series...

-Ferg-

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62872#msg62872 date=1068781515]
How wide are 75 series axle assemblies? As wide as 60 series? Or as wide as 80 series? I was thinking they were the same width as 70 series...

-Ferg-
[/quote]

The 75 axles are the same wiidth as the BJ/FJ/HZJ7X axles. Just a few mm wider than the 40 series stuff. For a 60 you will need the 60 FF housing for the rear for sure. Once that is done you can just install a locking diff and the short side shaft. But it is probably cheaper to buy the whole housing with the locker installed.

It's too late for me...I've already got an 80 series electric up front in my FJ60 and another one sittin' in the garage waitin' for my FF rear end which will FINALLY be here in two weeks. I've got some interested parties though.

Great guys up there at G&S. Dave are you their Dave in Japan? I believe you hooked me up with Sheldon about a year ago when I was first lookin' for cable lockers... Great guys for sure. I ended up goin' electric 'cause the parts were easier to get ahold of (well, sort of, only 8 months to get my FF rear to me :p ) Maybe I'll pick up one of their 1HZs with a 5 speed... :D

-Ferg-

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62878#msg62878 date=1068781842]
Maybe I'll pick up one of their 1HZs with a 5 speed... :D

-Ferg-
[/quote]

Hurry and put some deposit down. There are people beating down their door...

Dave

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=7486;start=msg62878#msg62878 date=1068781842]

Dave are you their Dave in Japan? I believe you hooked me up with Sheldon about a year ago when I was first lookin' for cable lockers. I ended up goin' electric 'cause the parts were easier to get ahold of (well, sort of, only 8 months to get my FF rear to me :p ) Maybe I'll pick up one of their 1HZs with a 5 speed... :D

[/quote]

Yeah that would be me.

I think they only have one 1HZ left right now and no more waiting here (yet). They do have a 13B-T here. Nice engine those. Last year all I could find was 1HZ engines, this year not so many so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom