Cable locker pictures? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
South western alps south east part of France. Righ
Hi everybody!

I'm looking for pictures of a cable locker assembly taken out of a sixty or seventy (the same ones aren't they?) I'd like to know if by just ordering the parts, like diff plate where it locks, diff lock ring (don't know the proper name) , fork carier etc, i couldn't find a cheaper way to have a cable locking diff! The ultimate goal would be to be able to keep the LSD and add a locking function! Lately I've checked jack mac namara's diffs, air actuated, and they cost 1300 au$.

Best regards.

Max.

These might help . Theyre off a 6#. I dont think the part # are any good

serie6_chassis44.gif

serie6_chassis38.gif

serie6_chassis37.gif

I looked into adding the LSD components to the locking diff....The cable locking differential can not be easily or inexpensively combined with the LSD. You can shim the spring in your LSD to load the clutch packs more, though not a locker, it is cheap and somewhat effective.

Hi everybody!

Guys, thanks a lot for your replies. Rosco, thanks a lot for the pics, but they don't tell me what the plate on the locking side of the diff looks like, how many bolts and bolt patern and spacing etc! That's why i asked for pics. Brian, i was thinking of another way, add locking parts to the LSD! There's another thing i was thinking about, something like the arb's pneumatic ring to load the spring pack of the LSD up to the point where it would lock! Well, i wouldn't have missed the 80 locking axle for 500 euros i would have a locker in the back!

Thanks again.

Max.

Would this help, Max?

site1026.jpg

Like Brian said, there is no easy way of adding the cable mechanism to a different diff. The housing itself needs to have the square mounting pad on the one side and even the carrier bearing on the locking cog side has a different size from an LSD/open diff. The closest one would be the factory electric locker but the mounting pad is of different size and shape and, on most e-lockers, there are additional mounting surfaces that must be machined to the housing.

Dave

beanz2 said:
Would this help, Max?

site1026.jpg

Like Brian said, there is no easy way of adding the cable mechanism to a different diff. The housing itself needs to have the square mounting pad on the one side and even the carrier bearing on the locking cog side has a different size from an LSD/open diff. The closest one would be the factory electric locker but the mounting pad is of different size and shape and, on most e-lockers, there are additional mounting surfaces that must be machined to the housing.

Dave
Are those chromed bumpers off a J7

Thanks a lot Dave!

I know i would have to buy the carrier. And i don't mind a bit of machining! Looks good that pic! I'll see if i can find the same pic of a LSD, and after i'll have to talk with my nice mechanic to see if it's possible to get the parts! Thought i think i could build something similar myself! I have a milling machine, a lathe! By the way Dave, how much did it cost you?

Best regards.

Max.

Hi again!

Well, as it seems the bearings have the same numbers, and funnilly enough, the diff carrier had the same number too???????
serie6_chassis36.gif

Ok they look far different, the part number 41302 is one big block with no plate at the end like the lockdiff. There should be a way! Machining the LSD to fit the locking cog may be!
There's more infos and pics of the lsd there http://perso.wanadoo.fr/adherence.4x4/pont_HJ61.htm
pont61_24.jpg

If only i could see what's under that top bearing! Imagine if we only had to machine a part, buy the carrier, cog and actuating mechanism!

Best regards.

Max.

Satamax said:
Hi again!

Well, as it seems the bearings have the same numbers, and funnilly enough, the diff carrier had the same number too???????

The 5-digit numbers you read on the exploded views are NOT part numbers, they are part codes which only make half or a part number. Like 12345 would mean "diff carrier bearing" and 67000 "60 70 series with cable locking, left hand side" and 89000 -> "40 60 70 series from 1980 to 1990 open or LSD diff" so the part numbers would actually be different : 12345-67000 and 12345-89000.

buy an ARB, put the LSD in front and be done with it :grinpimp:

Hi everybody!

Denis, NO! Puting an ARB is as expensive over here as to buy a cable locker! And i don't like ARB's, due to the fact that they need a compressor, air lines etc! I want both front and back, and i want either electric or cable!

Best regards.

Max.

Not to hijack this but just to satisfy my curiosity what do the controls look like? Anyone got a pic?

I go this one . I think its from a 60 series cable locker
Diff%20Locks (Small) (Medium).jpg

roscoFJ73 said:
Are those chromed bumpers off a J7

They are bumpers for American full size trucks, LOL.

Satamax said:
By the way Dave, how much did it cost you?

The unit pictured was a once-in-a-lifetime deal that I got for $650 off eBay. I don't think I'd ever find more at that price.

Dave

Max

Do your self a favour and don´t try to fab up a cable locker. It´s just close to impossible.
It might be better to take some time to lokate a set. I know it´s possible in Europe, i scored a full set last year.
The set i bought were: Two diffs, long splined axle shafts and controls out of a 75 series. It costed me 1600 Euros and i traded one open diff and a LSD in.
Just wait a bit and you will stumble over a set.

HTH

Mark

Hi Mark, i wont fabricate a cable locker, exept if there's a simple enough way to add the locking function to the LSD, as it's nice over here to have the LSD in hairpin bends where the inner back wheel lifts slightly! 1600 for the whole set, not bad! Willy, my friend who has the two lockers was saying 2400 for the two complete axles.

Hi Max

This Willy guy, does he originate from Holland, if so i think i know him.
I also have a core of an ARB laying around, but i don´t know if it´s from a Landcruiser. If you can use part of it i can send it to you.
PM me for details.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom