cable locker cable ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's not a 70 series question but I thought that I would get the most response out of this section.
I have a set of 62 axles under my 45. The rear is a FF with cable locker. I do not have the factory cable that came with the locker. I was thinking of using a push/pull positive lock T-handle cable custom made to length. I am wanting to mount it on the transmission tunnel near the shifters. In this configuration, the cable length is 7ft.
My questions are: 1) What kind of throw does the cable need? Standard is 3" from where I am ordering. Is this too much, too little, or just right?
2) What kind of end do I need for the cable? My options are clevis, open, or threaded.
3) What size does the cable need to be?
4) How does the cable attach to the axle housing in factory form?

I am not sure if I have all of the factory assembly. I can't seem to find a good pic of the entire assembly. But, I have the mechanism (functioning) and the lever assembly but nowhere to mount the cable on the axle housing. I was going to fab a bracket for my new cable assembly. Anyways, that's what I got. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Anyone, Anyone. Needing some info. Thanks.

Cable locker

Hi, If you can give me more information about the locker you got, maybe i can help you. I bought years ago a lot of german made cable lockers for Lada Niva, Toyota Hilux, Suzuki LJ50 and Nissan Patrol. All the nice ones are sold but i have some cables that came without the locker. The cable is attached to a lever, which can eb moved in order to engage the locker. At the diff end it has like a bearing that goes into the moving diff part which engages the locker. I have 2 different model of cable, so try to explain what you need and maybe this is what you are looking for. The cables are brand new, never used.

You can use a gear/throttle cable for an outboard enginge. A friend of mine has done this and it works grate and it's cheap. Just take a measure and order one with the correct length at the nearest boat shop.

A picture from my friends mount

http://nlck.no/forum/files/lockercable.jpg
lockercable.jpg

Kjetila
BJ73 italian spec with 14B

Ok, so in my research I have found that a custom cable may not be the best route. The cable manufacturers cannot make a cable that has 3/4" throw (too little of throw) and the distance between the actuator and the factory bulkhead axle mount is too short. I either have to modify the bulkhead mount or remove part of the actuating system
So.....my next question is: How long is a factory cable for say a 74 series? I need about 7ft, give or take. Where would I find one? I have seen pics of the factory lever and it looks pretty cool. It would be pretty slick looking next to my tranny shifter.
Thanks for any info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom