Cable gauge for dual battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please recommend wires thickness/grade for dual battery setup for my LX450. I do not have winch and I am planing to use Blue Sea Systems battery isolator http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?Product_Id=22756&d_Id=7491&l1=7459&l2=7491 . One battery is going to be exclusively starting battery. All other loads are going to be connected to the other battery. I have already collected all necessary parts (battery isolator, extra fuse box, washer bottle relocation kit, new battery tray, red top Optima batteries, wiring diagrams, etc.). All I need to buy are cables. There is a boating store with extensive cable selection where I live. Now I need to decide what gauge cables I want to use.

Please recommend gauge rating for following cables:
- positive cable between batteries (via the isolator),
- positive and negative from battery to starter,
- negative from batteries to chassis ground,
- positive from battery to a fuse box,
- alternator to battery cables (should alternator be connected to a battery by its own negative cable, or is it enough to connect its negative terminal to chassis ground?)

Thanx,
CBS

I did a very similar dual battery install, used a 200a continous load as the basis for the main battery cabling, this is also the limit of the solenoid, comes out to 1/0 for all primary wiring (2nd battery to block, main battery to block, main battery to solenoid and solenoid to second battery, na dmain batteyr to starter) used 6 gauge for a ground from main battery to body. and plan of using same for wiring to second fuse box (100a continous)

the Blue sea solenoid will need a small filter or you will get noise on AM stations.

Raven may be able to give you a short answer but here is the textbook version.

I used a small choke in series and capacitor in parallel with the leads of the solenoid to form the filter, I hear a capacitor a alone will do.

more info here in the thread linked above By TomH

unfortuntaly the pictures were lost.

if you woudl like to see any specific pictures let me know, I can repost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom