Cable gauge for dual battery

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by computerbookstore, Nov 19, 2005.

1. computerbookstore

computerbookstore

Please recommend wires thickness/grade for dual battery setup for my LX450. I do not have winch and I am planing to use Blue Sea Systems battery isolator http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?Product_Id=22756&d_Id=7491&l1=7459&l2=7491 . One battery is going to be exclusively starting battery. All other loads are going to be connected to the other battery. I have already collected all necessary parts (battery isolator, extra fuse box, washer bottle relocation kit, new battery tray, red top Optima batteries, wiring diagrams, etc.). All I need to buy are cables. There is a boating store with extensive cable selection where I live. Now I need to decide what gauge cables I want to use.

Please recommend gauge rating for following cables:
    - positive cable between batteries (via the isolator),
    - positive and negative from battery to starter,
    - negative from batteries to chassis ground,
    - positive from battery to a fuse box,
    - alternator to battery cables (should alternator be connected to a battery by its own negative cable, or is it enough to connect its negative terminal to chassis ground?)

Thanx,
    CBS

2. RavenTai

RavenTai

I did a very similar dual battery install, used a 200a continous load as the basis for the main battery cabling, this is also the limit of the solenoid, comes out to 1/0 for all primary wiring (2nd battery to block, main battery to block, main battery to solenoid and solenoid to second battery, na dmain batteyr to starter) used 6 gauge for a ground from main battery to body. and plan of using same for wiring to second fuse box (100a continous)

the Blue sea solenoid will need a small filter or you will get noise on AM stations.

3. computerbookstore

computerbookstore

RavenTai - please write more about the filter. What kind of filter is it? Where do you mount it?

4. TomH

TomH SILVER Star

Raven may be able to give you a short answer but here is the textbook version.

5. RavenTai

RavenTai

I used a small choke in series and capacitor in parallel with the leads of the solenoid to form the filter, I hear a capacitor a alone will do.

more info here in the thread linked above By TomH

unfortuntaly the pictures were lost.

if you woudl like to see any specific pictures let me know, I can repost

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.