Cabin weight of a 60-62 wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm planning a cabin swap of a fj62 cabin (auto) onto a Hj61 chassis.

What is the weight of the cabs as I need to purchase a gantry, looking at a 1t gantry.

Will this be enough to lift the cab? Even if I have to take seats and stuff out.

Thanks in advance, I searched the interwebs and couldn't find anything.

Reason for the cab swap is diesel and petrol engines have different mounts and the turbo diesel cab is rusty but my petrol gxl is good.

A 1 ton gantry might do it if you remove most of the interior. I know from going over the scales at the dump that my FJ62 is sitting just under 5000lbs. I would assume well over half of that is in the engine, transmission, transfer case and axles. But you know what they say when you make assumptions.

A 1 ton gantry might do it if you remove most of the interior. I know from going over the scales at the dump that my FJ62 is sitting just under 5000lbs. I would assume well over half of that is in the engine, transmission, transfer case and axles. But you know what they say when you make assumptions.
Thanks poptart, I'll keep that in mind. Might try and find out what the remaining components weigh and subtract that from the total.
I think the 1t working load limit of the gantry will be on the 'safe' conservative side but as normal practice I never get under anything like that as I had 2 scissor Jack's strip their threads while trying to put a falcon on Jack stands 😯.

if using a gantry, I'd recommend 2, 1 front and 1 rear. with 1 you will need to find the exact balance point to pick level.
just seems like a lot of overhang from the center to pick in 1 place.

A stripped body without fenders and other front parts or doors/rear hatch can be lifted with one gantry. When lifting from front door opening rear corner and rear side windows front corner it will be totally balanced and straight. A bit work needed to strip it but then it can be done nicely.

Nice, thanks for the rigging info, will be handy, just waiting for my mate to get his car on the road then will use his driveway. I'll update with pics as I go.

I got the hj cab off, took a couple days between bad weather, the cab without seats was around 680kg, had the lift strap at the rear of both front doors, balanced well but damaged the gutters, I will make a bar to spread the squishing force so my good cab doesn't get damaged. I only had a 1t 3meter lift strap. Sorry bout sark pics but was dark lol.
DSC_0271.JPG
DSC_0266.JPG
DSC_0269~2.JPG

Been chipping away and got the fj cab on the hj chassis. All went well but forgot about the gear stick and snapped off about an inch from the bend. I'm plugging what I can in, fuel pipes at back are done, pedals are in and hole drilled for clutch, need to drill a hole and make a bracket for other hole to mount to firewall.

Gotta adapt alternator, vacuum system and turn off signal (dunno if it is on to stop or off to stop).

Gotta mount P/S reservoir somewhere, bridge neutral wires so it'll start.

I took a few pics, does anyone know what the green sensor is next to oil pressure sender? And the sensor on the vacuum storage thing?

DSC_0302.JPG

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0304.JPG

DSC_0305.JPG

DSC_0306.JPG

I'd have removed doors and windows. Run a spreader bar through the cab so you don't squish it for next time!
That poor 61 looks like it's sat for a long time without love. Sad day to see it's demise

Yeah it is sad, it has a strong heart and legs though. I made a bar that holds the strap out and rests on the interior trim things, I'll see if I can find a Pic. Strap was too short so used shackles to make up the difference, no damage besides the gear stick 😔. Left the rear doors off and toolbox in the back to balance a bit.

DSC_0292.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom