Cabin Air Filter Retrofit Video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD | ADGU
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.yotamd.com
For those who haven't already completed this easy "mod", here's a video of the process!

Filtered air goodness is less than $20 away for many of you 100 series LC owners. ;)

I can't say I've noticed any difference in air quality, but I wasn't necessarily expecting a noticeable improvement. If I had access to an air meter I'd do some testing to prove any objective difference, but I don't have that access now so I'm just imagining that it's cleansing the air around me.

Amazon link to filters: Amazon.com: TYC 800099P2 Lexus Replacement Cabin Air Filter: Automotive

**Note: the filters DO come in pairs. One box has two filters. When I bought it the listing was unclear, but they do, in fact, sell them by the pair.

Last edited:
Any idea of what year they included the housing? I have an '02 and will open her up when I get a chance.

Is there any reason not to do this modification? Do the filters come out as easy as they go in? No extra strain on components?

Any idea of what year they included the housing? I have an '02 and will open her up when I get a chance.

I'm not sure. I've heard it's a mixed bag. I'm sure there's some rhyme or reason. My 99 had the needed panels. If people can update this thread with their findings I'll track it and document it.

Is there any reason not to do this modification? Do the filters come out as easy as they go in? No extra strain on components?

The filters come out just as easy. You will, theoretically, lose some flow in the HVAC system because these are basic filters that restrict flow. That being said I've noticed zero difference on mine. Front and rear air is just as powerful as before.

For those who haven't already completed this easy "mod", here's a video of the process!

Filtered air goodness is less than $20 away for many of you 100 series LC owners. ;)

I can't say I've noticed any difference in air quality, but I wasn't necessarily expecting a noticeable improvement. If I had access to an air meter I'd do some testing to prove any objective difference, but I don't have that access now so I'm just imagining that it's cleansing the air around me.

Amazon link to filters: Amazon.com: TYC 800099P2 Lexus Replacement Cabin Air Filter: Automotive

**Note: the filters DO come in pairs. One box has two filters. When I bought it the listing was unclear, but they do, in fact, sell them by the pair.

Thank you for this invaluable information. Just finished converting my '06 which did not come with the filter option. Got my kit from Cruiserparts and got it done over the weekend. Awesome tutorial. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure my 2000 has the slot for these,

Can anyone comment on difference between the TYC part and Toyotas air filters?

I'm pretty sure my 2000 has the slot for these,

Can anyone comment on difference between the TYC part and Toyotas air filters?
In terms of their cabin air filters, the answer is NO. I have used both TYC and Toyota on my Camry, Sienna and Lexus ES350 and there was no noticeable difference in performance. Fit and quality of TYC was on par with Toyota items. On a side note, I have also tried the Fram charcoal infused cabin air filters with good results as well..but they are too expensive with not too much of difference--do seem to help with the musty odors. You may also want to consider the inexpensive items from Rock Auto. But just like home furnace filters, the cheap ones have to be replaced sooner depending on particulate density in the Air in your local area. Here in Northern Virginia, the pollen gets really bad in the spring and I go through filters twice a year sometimes. Sorry for the extra info...just thought I'd share my two cents.

Added benefit is the fact filters protect the heater core. My 01LC didn't have the slot for filters, so I swapped out the face plate:

001.JPG

004.JPG

009.JPG

008.JPG

006.JPG

Alright, I did it.... however, I've now got a HORRIBLE whistle at the top two fan speeds. Can't live with this, but also can't figure out why the addition of filters is causing this noise. Anyone else have this issue? Or a suggestion?

Alright, I did it.... however, I've now got a HORRIBLE whistle at the top two fan speeds. Can't live with this, but also can't figure out why the addition of filters is causing this noise. Anyone else have this issue? Or a suggestion?

Try opening/closing the passenger vent to the right of the center console.

056.JPG

Make sure wire is routed properly.
067.JPG

Oh you don't need to remove the bolt I picture early in thread, that's behind carpet. But there is another two from same brace in area you'll be working. One you see out at bottom of this^^ picture, they others at top. Give more wiggle room. In this job I had ECU out and removed and install to side where ECU sat.

Sweet!!! :clap:
Thanks for the additional info. Will post some pics from this weekend.

Got to work on the cabin filter retrofit. Took about 2 hrs, a little longer that I initially anticipated.

upload_2018-5-14_8-7-5.jpeg

Removed the glove box & shroud. :banana:

upload_2018-5-14_8-7-47.jpeg

Had a lot of difficulty removing the existing cooler cover. Real tricky threading it down to the bottom with all the wires & sticking out parts on the existing cover. :banana::banana::banana:

upload_2018-5-14_8-7-58.jpeg

Cleaned filter slot. Not as bad as some of the images I had seen from other installations. Just a lot of pine needles.

upload_2018-5-14_8-8-8.jpeg

Replacement of the new cover was so much easier. Took half the time to slide it into place from the bottom. :banana::banana:

Inserted the filters into slot. Snapped on slot cover.

Reconnected all the wire harnesses that were removed. (Decided not to reinstall the antenna relay on the cooler cover as the stock antenna was removed when the ARB snorkel was installed. Might be looking to re-purpose the antenna up/down switch or location of switch for something else).

Reinstalled the shroud & glove box.

Mission accomplished.
All threads & feedback from members were super helpful.:cheers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom