Cabeza Prieta and Berry Goldwater Range West Adventure, Oct 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Twice last year I went to this desert area of southwest Arizona. It's pretty remote stuff. It's also regulated and a permit is required. So, I figured I would toss this out there. This is short notice for March, so I might consider a fall trip in October.

At least a week is required to enjoy this special Sonoran Desert place. While it's considered remote, I don't think it's that bad. It's right on the Mexican border. Smack on it. This space runs from the Mexico border on the south, to I-8 to the north. Cell service on the BGRW is hit and miss, but pretty good when close to I-8. It's non-existent on Cabeza Prieta. Because much of this area is close to the border the chance of encounters with migrants and smugglers is possible. It's also crawling with Border Patrol, AZ Game and Fish, USFWS, and county Sheriff. I actually feel safer there than Albuquerque.

My plan would be to enter through Ajo, AZ and drive the Camino Diablo west, spending one or two nights on the refuge. Then enter the bombing range either at Tinaja Altas, or Christmas Pass. Then explore around the Berry Goldwater. Even though the Border Patrol has a high presence, the opportunity for solitude is extremely high. This space isn't very big, so driving days could be short, or long. Cabeza Prieta has three designated campsites, but dispersed camping is allowed. You just need to keep to the Camino Diablo, or Christmas Pass roads. Once on the Berry Goldwater, the rules relax. Off-road driving is, of course, prohibited. Collecting firewood on the Berry Goldwater is allowed, but not on Cabeza Prieta.

Four wheel drive with low range is required. The ability to air down, and up, is required. There are no services between Ajo and I-8. There is a gas station with cheap gas on I-8. It also has a water machine dispensing RO water in bulk, cheap.

Like I said, a free permit from the military is required, and is good from July 1st to June 30th. Each PERSON must have a permit. Number of vehicles in a group is limited to nine. The All Areas permit will cover the bombing range and wildlife refuge.

It looks like I only wrote up my December adventure. Not sure why I didn't do March.

Fine print on the bombing range:

Cabeza Prieta Rules and map:

Permit homepage. I was able to get a new permit, but it wasn't easy to navigate.

Last edited:
And there are some interesting crash sites...
I've been to a B-17, F-4, A-4 and an F-14.

Ya, I saw the F-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom