Cab Swap Info Needed: 1988 Xtra Cab (3VZE w/Auto) on to 1987 Xtra Cab (22R w/manual) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was in the process of restoring my 1987 pickup and am now stuck and pissed. I had the cab/doors/hood blasted and they are now oil-canned beyond repair. I am looking at buying a 1988 Xtra cab for the body and installing it onto my existing chassis (22R w/manual transmission). The only issue is, the pickup im looking at has the V6 and an auto trans. What modifications would need to be made for fitment?

The only differences I can find, refer to making a hole in the transmission tunnel for the sticks. Are there any other differences I am overlooking? I may even use the chassis from the donor because of its condition, if I do this as well, is it just the motor mounts that are different? Keep in mind I have all components from the 87 carburted Xtra Cab (tranny cross member, wiring, etc.).

Are other component mounts, threaded holes, etc. different between the two? I do not want to be rigging this thing together and would like for things to mount where they are supposed to.

This is urgent as I need to make a decision quickly on this truck and I cannot compare them side by side as the donor truck is 700miles away.

Also, If anyone has a rust free cab/doors/hood for sale in or near TX please let me know.

Thanks

Would likely still have the stamping for the clutch pedal and master. Would just need to do a couple cuts.??? Not 100% sure, but I'd imagine.

I swapped an '85 EFI cab for an '84 Carb cab. The '84 didnt have a ECM. Still had the stamped bosses in the floor board to drill holes for mounting of the '85 ECM.

The drive side engine bay had the stamped bossess for the mounts for the EFI air cleaner box. Just had to drill the holes.

Id even possibly say the trans tunnel is the same stamping....but cant guarantee it. Just not sure why they would need 2 different trans tunnel stamps.

I reckon itd be a straight up swap in 99% of the stuff. Could strip both cabs to sheet metal, and bolt all the stuff in from the '87 with minimal effort. Its not a cross generation swap. Good to go in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention that I was aware of the clutch master cylinder holes needing to be drilled on the firewall.

Any issues with floorpan clearances or changes between these two drive trains cab wise?

Thanks again for the help.

If the cab firewalls are similar to the same years of 4Runners, then the e-brake outlet will differ from the 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder models. The 4 cylinder has the e-brake exit the cab at the firewall behind the engine. The 6 cylinder exits the cab at the bottom of the firewall near the floor.

Hmm. I hope thats not the case but I am sure I will find a way around it with both types of hardware available.

Looks like the dash location is the same or similar anyways.

Thanks and if anyone can confirm Id appreciate it.

I doubt it will be a deal-breaker for you. I believe Toyota did this to clear the exhaust cross-over pipe on the V6. You could probably use either one and be fine.

Pic. My 89 v6.
Looks like the 4cyl hole is there.

100_1988~2.jpg

Sweet. Thanks for the picture. Looks like I am moving forward with the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom