CA vs. Federal emmissions????? Difference??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone know how to tell me to know if my FJ is CA or just Federal emmissions as it is? any tell tale parts that say one way or the other???

its a 78 with a production date of 12/77

Doesn't the sticker on the hood say?

My sticker says both US EPA and California.

Good Luck

Rocky

anyone know how to tell me to know if my FJ is CA or just Federal emmissions as it is? any tell tale parts that say one way or the other???

its a 78 with a production date of 12/77

not certain, but that year should have the thermo nuclear exhaust manifold, if still stock.

post pics of engine and smog gear. My smog guy did not care if it was fed or cal, just made sure that the big components were there and working. Cal smog spec is kinda a pain in the arse, so if it were mine, (unless very orig) I would run it on fed spec stuff...

Look at the vac port on the distributor. CA will have a retard port (port will be on the distributor-side of the crimp in the vac pot). Federal will either have two ports on the vac pot (one on the distributor-side of the crimp and one on the outer-side of the crimp) or just one port on the outer-side of the crimp.

Look at the distributors in the smog diagrams that I posted and find the differences in how the vac connections are shown.

Didn’t feel like starting a new thread but need some answers in this department as well. I have a fed spec 76 that was desmog’d but now I need it smog‘d so I’m wondering ...
what is Difference/compatibility/convertibility or lack there of between CA and Federal smog parts?

can they be mingled and not mess up smog?
Meaning mine is federal spec but what if I get an intake manifold that’s CA spec or what if the ABV valve was taken off a CA spec, would it still work if I added that the Fed spec EGR, and Carb?

just random questions because I need to gather parts and I wanna know exactly what I need before I dive in

Last edited:
not having to deal with this stuff,
IIRCC from other CA members, the thermo nuclear reactor manifold is obsolete and the ARB has accepted the federal manifold and related as suitable replacements
my WAG is if everything from a federal emissions rig was in place and working, the inspector won't say anything about it, but don't take my word on it.
the rig is older than any of the inspectors and as long as it looks right you may be OK
get correct local advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom