CA to USA quick question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I will be importing a 77 from BC into the United States in a few weeks, and have two quick questions. While I've searched and read many of the import threads as well as government resources, I can't find exactly the information I'm looking for, so if I've missed it and this thread is redundant, please link me to the proper answer.

Firstly, I have read you can choose to either go through the import process at the border crossing or take the vehicle to the port of entry closest to you locally (let me know if this isn't true). Since I will be driving the cruiser across the states to PA where I reside, it may make logistical sense for me to wait to go through the import process until I have arrived back in Pittsburgh, to save me some time on the return trip (limited time off from work). Is there a time limit for when I can go through the import process locally if I choose not to at the border?

Luckily, a family member lives in BC so I can actually register, insure, and plate the truck there before driving it back, giving me more leeway than most who would be forced to pay for expensive temporary permits and risk being pulled over constantly for having your registration taped to a window instead of plates.

And secondly, for those who have gone through this process, what do you recommend? Is it worth it to wait until I have the truck in PA, or am I overthinking the border crossing import process and should just get it done since I will be there anyway? Part of my consideration comes from having to make a choice between taking a ferry from Victoria to either Vancouver, and thus driving through Blaine, or ferrying directly to Port Angeles and importing at a sea port rather than a road crossing. Or will this not make much difference in time spent there?

I intend to call some border agents and ask more questions, but out of curiosity for those in the area or who have done this before, what days/times of day would be least busy?

Thank you for the help, can't wait for this truck and to be a bigger part of this community.

I’ll PM you my phone number and talk you through it. I just imported a truck through Port Angeles three weeks ago and faced the same questions.

I did this two years back with my BJ74. Purchase in BC, cross border, drive cross country back to PA. Unless things have changed, you will complete all the import paperwork at the border crossing, then bring that paperwork back here to PA to apply for a title and plates.

It was a relatively painless process. They searched the truck and made my throw away my produce, and were not thrilled that the VIN number had to be "de-coded" to confirm the build date of the vehicle to confirm 25-year+ age.

Make 100% sure that you leave the border crossing with stamped and signed paperwork that you'll bring here to PA. I had to make a trip up to Harrisburg because the border order did not stamp one of the papers. It was signed by them, and the other form was stamped, but the folks in Harrisburg made me fill out one more form before issuing title.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

Filing import paperwork at local port is called moving on IT (Immediate Transit), and would mean that you are moving the goods in-bond. For the purposes of your import, you won't be able to move on an IT, as you already have the goods in hand when you show up at the border. They won't let you cross into the USA without filing there. A border crossing is actually much more simple than a port import, so you should have no real worries. Have fun with it! It can feel intimidating, but the Customs Officials are just there to make sure you follow the rules. they aren't targeting anyone that is trying to legally bring things into the country. If it is a concern, tell them up front that this is your first time doing this & you aren't sure of the process 100%. If they aren't super busy, they'll teach you a bit about it while they do all the paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom