BaT CA: No Reserve 85 RHD BJ70 (1 Viewer)

Bring-a-Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Color
white
Outside Link
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-toyota-land-cruiser-bj70/
not affiliated with vehicle, site, or seller.

I saw that one this morning.

Do you think the 70 series prices are trending upwards like the 40? Not much data/inventory on BaT, but they seem to be fetching more and more money.

Never paid much mind to the 40, tbh, but the entire lineage of LC's seem to be trending upwards. Plenty of off-BaT sales to raise the 'high water' mark for all series.

I think we've seen a few recent outliers affect the BaT averages as well, on the 70s specifically.

Some may call this a sub-$20k due to age and engine, tho others may see a CA titled diesel and hear $20k+. I'll be watching the bid for sure.

I don't think BAT is a really good gauge of 70 series values. It seems to be all over the place there since it is Auction style selling.

Overall I think it is just better to buy from a reputable seller such as Land Cruisers Direct or joekatana who can import and inspect the rig for you or buy and import yourself if you know how.

Private sellers with no history or little history of selling are trying to get top dollar and often what seems to be too high at times in a flipper fashion. Especially with the Utes and Troopys. Just my opinion.

Agree with Matt here , I have seen some less then desirable 70's sell for big prices on Bat and then more desirable models go for way less then that . I also believe there are a few cases where no reserve cruiser where bought up by someone related to the seller as they did not go anywhere the real world value and then a few weeks later resold at a different place for a more correct price.

Most buyers at BAT seem to be spending most of their attention on videos and stories and don't seem to be that educated about what they are buying with the exception of the few common issues with the car they are looking at found on the good old web 10 min before placing the comment .

Never paid much mind to the 40, tbh, but the entire lineage of LC's seem to be trending upwards. Plenty of off-BaT sales to raise the 'high water' mark for all series.

I think we've seen a few recent outliers affect the BaT averages as well, on the 70s specifically.

Some may call this a sub-$20k due to age and engine, tho others may see a CA titled diesel and hear $20k+. I'll be watching the bid for sure.
Agreed. Classic Toyota 4x4s in general seem to be trending up. Land Cruisers (and specifically 70-series) included.
I don't think BAT is a really good gauge of 70 series values. It seems to be all over the place there since it is Auction style selling.

Overall I think it is just better to buy from a reputable seller such as Land Cruisers Direct or joekatana who can import and inspect the rig for you or buy and import yourself if you know how.

Private sellers with no history or little history of selling are trying to get top dollar and often what seems to be too high at times in a flipper fashion. Especially with the Utes and Troopys. Just my opinion.
I agree, I'm not interested in buying a Cruiser off BaT. It's just a good source to look at a lot of 70-series data all at once. You can see over 20 70-series Land Cruisers and what they sold for.

But details matter. Especially with the 70 series. There are so many variations across the model line. LHD vs RHD, Manual vs Auto, Gas vs Diesel, Engine/Transmission Combo, Heavy Duty vs Light Duty, Model, Year, Color, Condition, Country of Origin, etc. All of these details contribute to wild variability in pricing.

Most buyers at BAT seem to be spending most of their attention on videos and stories and don't seem to be that educated about what they are buying with the exception of the few common issues with the car they are looking at found on the good old web 10 min before placing the comment .
Absolutely. They have a very superficial understanding about what they are looking at/bidding on.

I enjoy watching these auctions and seeing all the detailed photos, but it does seem that there are a lot of horror stories from BAT. I check this site for some graphical data (nerd alert!) over BAT and other auctions. Paints a picture at how varied the market can be.

1620405144544.png

For those of us in the USA, I think the data would be better serve to remove anything newer than 25 years old and then re-graph.

Good point, we have 2 outliers.

If looking at Sales, I can only get it to show All or one specific year within the site.

1620405515374.png

I enjoy watching these auctions and seeing all the detailed photos, but it does seem that there are a lot of horror stories from BAT. I check this site for some graphical data (nerd alert!) over BAT and other auctions. Paints a picture at how varied the market can be.

View attachment 2667799
Great resource. Thank you for the link.

Something interesting to consider - of the 24 70-series trucks sold on BaT, only 2 are LHD AND imported from Europe. All of the other trucks listed are either from Central/South American, or RHD.

Something interesting to consider - of the 24 70-series trucks sold on BaT, only 2 are LHD AND imported from Europe. All of the other trucks listed are either from Central/South American, or RHD.
Because lhd diesel cruisers from Europe are harder to find/import and much easier to sell once in the US so why waste time and wait for BAT to list it at their reserve !

Because lhd diesel cruisers from Europe are harder to find/import and much easier to sell once in the US so why waste time and wait for BAT to list it at their reserve !
Yessir, great point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom