CA law regarding no doors or mirrors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fyton2v

SILVER Star
Threads
Getting ready to start the restore so I took off the top and doors. In the meantime I need to drive the car a bit since I'm trying to get it running well enough to pass smog.

Can you drive a truck on the road in CA that doesn't have doors or side mirrors? Seems like you'd be begging for a ticket.

Thanks,
George

I never had a problem with the no doors thing in cali. You must have one rearview mirror. I think that the drivers one is mandatory, the passenger is not unless youre towing, and the window (rear view) is also not required.

-Dustin

I don't know if Cali is any different, but here in WA, you must have two rear-facing mirrors. The driver's side mirror is mandatory and either a rearview mirror or a passenger side mirror. And technically, even if you have a rearview mirror but it's view is obstructed (crap in your back seat, towing a trailer, etc) you're supposed to have a passenger side mirror.

Eric

Cali says that you need 2 mirrors and i think that there is some crap in there about on being adstructed

I live in CA and have never had a CHP or local PD stop me for driving without doors.

California Vehicle Code:
Mirrors

26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.

(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.

(3) A bus or trolley coach.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom