CA DMV problem (sigh) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi, I have been reading your thread with great interest. Here in Aussie if your vin number on the chassis is:-

1. Different than the plate on the firewall because you have swapped out the chassis they make you get a new vin number to stamp on the chassis.

2. If you gal the chassis and the vin is not readable they make you get a new vin also, this is what happened to me.

You mentioned in other states that they do allocate new vin numbers, so have you thought of grinding down the numbers a little bit so they are very hard to read or removing them and tell them you had to replace that section of the chassis due to rust.

Then with a out of State rego drive round for about 8 months then change the rego to Cal.

At least it will give you breathing space to get over the next hurdle.

After reading the thread it seems interstate rego is your only option at this point.

BJ40 registered second trip to the DMV

Amaurer,

Not sure why you got such a run around. I bought my Bj40 on Ebay as an Aussie import and took to the DMV for inspection sticker verification. Gave the Aussie same serial number and model and they told me to make an appointment with the CHP.

CHP officer said they would just label it a grey market vehicle, filled out the paperwork and then cleared it for the DMV. Went back to the DMV was told I have to pay for out of state taxes and pay to have a california title issued, clear a customs background check to make sure it was not stolen, paid $1128, and they handed me the plates right there on the spot.

That hopefully there is nothing else I will have to do but I am insured, inspected, plated, and just waiting for the new title to arrive in the mail.

Did you make it this far before the headaches began?

If you need a chp officer to do it I recommend the guy in Culver city, he is a good dude and does all of Jay Leno's vehicles. Says he knows the ins and outs and said there is not a problem if you go this route.

I can give you us name if you need it. But you have to go to the DMV first to get them to fill out the gray market vehicle paperwork to take to the CHP.

Cheers and congrats on the plates.

Hayden

htmauk, i'd say don't count your chickens yet. the hang up comes when your paperwork moves from the DMV to the DMV hq in sacramento. in 4 weeks or so you'll either have a title, or a note from the Tech division saying you're fxxxed.

good luck man, i hope it works out!

:beer:

Htmauk... the key question that will likely determine whether you get titled or not comes down to which boxes did the CHP guy check in regards to emissions and FMVSS? If you happen to know, please post. Thanks!

:beer::beer::beer:

I'm interested in this "less than 17 digit VIN" business.

My BJ has " BJ40 039567" stamped on the RH chassis rail (numbers altered to protect the inncocent)

On a plate on the firewall, it says the model number is BJ40RV-KCQ. And on that same plate it gives the "chassis number" as a repeat of what's stamped on the chassis rail.

My experience of VIN numbers is that they're usually a combination of the model number and chassis number.

But if I put BJ40RV-KCQ 039567 forward as my VIN in California - It is only 15 digits long so they'd just sit there (cross-eyed with mouth wide open). Therefore I'd first add a couple of zeros to get:
BJ40RV-KCQ 00039567​

Shouldn't be a problem doing this because the Toyota electronic parts catalogue wants one extra zero anyway (for me to successfully identify my vehicle on it).

The 17 digits would make them happy only for an instant though. -- Until their computer registers "security alert" and alarm bells and sirens start up. The "Q" would identify my vehicle as "Australian Market". A "prohibited import country" no less!!!! And I'd get the gestapo treatment (and deservedly so OF COURSE).

So the answers simple - Just substitute another letter for the "Q". (What's the letter for Canada?)

:cheers:

Not quite that easy. In California I'd bet they come out and check and if the numbers on the application and the numbers on the truck don't match....

Also, try and take a vehicle with a "false" title to say Mexico or Central America where they often come out to check the VIN before giving you the temperary import papers and you'd be screwed as well.

California needs to wake up and realize a 'Cruiser with a diesel engine pollutes SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than a V10 Ford pickup or other such monstrosity that they do allow. Why are they so retarded to disallow the 'Cruisers?

Have I read this wrong or is this an ex-Canada BJ42 that can't get title in California? Looks like they don't want diesels from ANY source now!

I don't know if you've ever been to California but as far as the government of California is concerned EVERYTHING is known to them to cause cancer or some other horrible malady and is best avoided, LandCruisers with diesel engines included! They'd ban people if that were possible (but then they'd be out of work too!!).

Maybe a big sticker on the back bumper that says "This vehicle is known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm." would help get title :) !

Have I read this wrong or is this an ex-Canada BJ42 that can't get title in California? Looks like they don't want diesels from ANY source now!

I think you have to go through an RI to get it registered in Kali even though it is older than 25 years. Since it wasn't imported through an RI, it doesn't have the right paper work, etc. There is a specific list of acceptable vehicles from Canada that are know to comply with regulations so an RI can get the correct paperwork, in theory at least.

EDIT: The problem might be that I don't know if the bj42 is on the list of acceptable Canadian vehicles. I know the bj60 is.

Last edited:
I think the moral of the story is: Get your title from another state while the cruiser is parked off the street before the first contact with Cal DMV.

Follow CruiserDrew's advice and swap the titles. That's the only feasible way to beat this bureaucratic, "green" bull****. Good luck...

Not to disagree with Jonb96150 or anyone else with the helpul suggestion, but...can someone explain WHY/HOW having the truck registered out of state BEFORE trying to register it in CA will fix the issue of not having EPA and FMVSS labels?

I am in Amaurer's position (but haven't submitted anything to DMV), except I'll have a GA title. I pick up my 82 BJ42 in approx one month.

Trying to learn from others on how to best avoid the Kalifornistan DMV regime.

Thanks

Hello,
I "imported" my BJ42 from Canada directly. I used a registered importer, submitted the paperwork to the Cal. DMV, aprox 5-6 weeks later title was issued. No problemo! If you do not use a Registered Importer you will not have the requisite paperwork. The RI makes an additional sticker that satisfies the DMV goons.
Hola
eric
BTW I completed the process in mid '07

If I remember correctly, Otterav, yours is from canada, no? This seems to be a problem for non-North American cruisers...

Loop Hole....

This has been a very interestig thread...I am planning to move back to Kali, live in Las Vegas now...and want to own a Non-US, Diesel LC.... I was speaking with somebody in San Diego from another Forum about Engine Swaps and registration etc. He mentioned a little known loop hole that involves having a mechanic intentionally file a lien against and Unregistered Vehicle.... Then as payment for the lien, that mechanic takes posession of the vehicle and in turn the good folks at the California DMV are obligated to Issue a legitimate VIN so the mechanic can sell the vehicle to recoup his/her "loss" from unpaid repairs. This is assuming the vehicle was being made "Show Ready", and hence the lack of VIN - as "Show" vehicles are exempt....

You would need to know a very trustworthy mechanic/autobody shop who would be willing to participate.

And have balls of steel, as I am not sure if this is "Urban Legend" or savvy gorilla registration tactics....

Also, I liked the earlier thread about "Personal Conveyance, Private Property" and no tags..... That's like Wesley Snipes reminding the IRS that a Federal Income Tax is unconstitutional and getting away with it......:flipoff2: all I can say is "Zeitgesit the movie" Check it out.:cheers:

Too much detail without an answer. Bottom line: Results may vary.

Last edited:
Newbould, have you contacted your local Assemblyman? When i was first having my problem(Diesel DMV compliance Div.issue) i spoke with a rep from my local office. After explaining the catch-22(DMV requires smog compliance,however nobody offers smog checks in this state) the rep said it was just another typical problem by the INEPT DMV. The rep directed me to pursue it as far as i could then if i was anable to get my title to call them back and they would advice the assemblyman. I believe your rights are being infringed. Call your politicians and raise alittle hell(diplomatically of coarse).

Gentlemen-

I know this doesn't address the problems faced by owners of non-North American diesel LCs, but here is the route I will pursue for my next diesel LC:

From the CA DMV website:

"Effective April 1, 2005, a smog certification is not required for any 1975 and older vehicle and the “rolling smog” will be eliminated. However, between January 1, 2005, and April 1, 2005, 1976 model-year vehicles in biennial smog areas become part of the 30-year “rolling smog” and are exempt from a smog certification. The 1976 model-year motor vehicles with registration expiration dates of April 1, 2005, and later must obtain smog certifications. Listed below are some examples of fees that are due on nonresident and original transactions.

The California Air Resources Board requires 1975 and newer year model direct import vehicles to meet California emission standards."

"(c) For purposes of subdivision (a), any collector motor vehicle, as defined in Section 259 of the Vehicle Code, is exempt from those portions of the test required by subdivision (f) of Section 44012 if the collector motor vehicle meets all of the following criteria:

(1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the bureau.

(2) The motor vehicle is at least 35 model-years old.

(3) The motor vehicle complies with the exhaust emissions standards for that motor vehicle’s class and model-year as prescribed by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks."

If one looks in the classifieds section right now, one will see there are plenty of cruisers of this vintage, either 40s or 55s, or even 45s. I would also scour local classifieds in Arizona etc. for rust free vintage cruisers. A cheap 40 with a good frame, an older VIN plate, a couple axles under it, etc. with a 13bt+H55F half-cut from G&S solves a lot of problems. Instead of polishing a turd, you can build up a perfect fiberglass or alu bodied 40 with a far more powerful powertrain than a standard rusty canuck 42. That at least is what I intend for my next LC project once I get a damn house built. No, you don't get an all original TLC, but you get an rust free rig where you get to customize almost every part. My .02.

B

ok guys, sorry to hijack your thread

im from the east bay, cali and currently have an fj60.

i am about to do a 3b / h55 conversion on my fj60. This diesel engine and transmission, came from an 83 bj60 that was parted out in canuck.

would i have trouble registering my good old fj60 as a diesel when my title is renewed? can they (DMV) change it to diesel right away?

keep in mind im gonna use an 83 engine and will install it in an 86.

if CA dmv would not let me change it, what is my other alternative?

should i register my 60 at a state with no emission requirement that can allow diesel conversions, like say, nebraska? and then bring it back to california and can california finally give me a valid diesel title?

keep in mind im just gonna change and engine and transmission.

thanks for all your help. i really need some advice.:ban::popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom