CA DMV problem (sigh) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it was originally imported legally/properly in the first place CA has no real issue. It is when the grey market sale is shady or motor swap where it becomes sticky.

If it was originally imported legally/properly in the first place CA has no real issue. It is when the grey market sale is shady or motor swap where it becomes sticky.

Thats not true, did you even read this thread?

My fiancee and I have a dream of moving back to the US in about 10 years to raise our kid in the US school system. My family has a business in California that I will be manning during that time. After reading this thread I'm getting mixed hopes here. If I bring my BJ74, which will be well over 25 years young in 10 years, into say...Nevada and have it reg'd there I'll be able to change over the reg to California after a while? Its my dream to have this car in the US and my girl loves it over here in Japan. What makes it better, its really a an HzJ73 on a BJ74 frame and body. Basically a 1hz turbo, trans, and axles transplanted into a BJ74. That means, the vin number registers as a 88 or 89. My registration in Japan refelcts the engine model as a 1Hz, but with no mention of a swap being done. So as it reads its a 1989 BJ74 with an original 1HZ...even though we all know they never made such a thing. This is the ultimate sleeper...and I'd hate to leave it behind....

Something you could consider, is to buy a 75 or earlier frame and title, and use that to register your BJ. You would have to swap the frame number section on to the BJs frame. Then you can be smog exempt.

Almost every diesel in California had a valid reg in another state first. Then it's no big deal.

I've heard that the 75 or older FJ40 frame would require extensive modifications to pop a BJ42 body onto it.

Last edited:
Emissions Testing Facility

I found a company down in Ontario, CA that will do the testing on a BJ42 for the 50 State Sticker for $3,000. The guy I talked to mentioned that he'd seen a BJ42 in for the testing a few months back and is going to get back to me with the info on what happened with it.

Here's the link:

Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc.

Last edited:
I would get in touch with Linwood Farmer, Vice-President at Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc before you put down your $3000. Because last summer he informed me they don't do Grey Market vehicles and engines anymore.

I am sorry but we are not currently in the business of conducting testing on
Grey Market vehicles and engines. While we were once certified for such
testing it was not a profitable business sector and we did not renew our
certification.

Sincerely,

Linwood Farmer

Vice-President

Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc.

Sniperx,

In Nevada, Washoe and Clark Counties are smog test Counties. Any gas or diesel vehicle 1968 or newer in these Counties must be smogged. Other Counties in Nevada are slowly becoming smog Counties per the EPA

As for Grey Market Vehicles in the said Counties are a bitch. The last one I tried to register took 9 months to register.

After reading this thread and sweating it out for a few weeks I just got my BJ 44 registered in CA with no issue (sort of). The folks at DMV spent about 30 minutes looking it over, scratching their heads and wondering what they had in front of them. They were happy with the emissions sticker but a little suspect with the VIN and lack of a FMVSS sticker.

Long story short, I got into a discussion about saving the planet, all the evil in the world, etc, etc and she just filled in the paperwork and handed me my plates.

The moral of the story; never interrupt a zealot when they are overlooking things on your behalf.

After reading this thread and sweating it out for a few weeks I just got my BJ 44 registered in CA with no issue (sort of). The folks at DMV spent about 30 minutes looking it over, scratching their heads and wondering what they had in front of them. They were happy with the emissions sticker but a little suspect with the VIN and lack of a FMVSS sticker.

Long story short, I got into a discussion about saving the planet, all the evil in the world, etc, etc and she just filled in the paperwork and handed me my plates.

The moral of the story; never interrupt a zealot when they are overlooking things on your behalf.

Where'd you get the emissions sticker?

I was reading through NZ import regulations and imports into NZ from the US need a FMVSS sticker, so perhaps with this documentation it could be argued that our two countries share the same safety guidelines ? Problem will be proving that they did 25 years ago.

I was reading through NZ import regulations and imports into NZ from the US need a FMVSS sticker, so perhaps with this documentation it could be argued that our two countries share the same safety guidelines ? Problem will be proving that they did 25 years ago.

Can you prove than the FJ40's are the same truck with a different engine or will that not help matters?

I imagine virtually all the vehicles imported to NZ from the US would be US built (mustangs, corvettes, hummers etc). I don't know of anyone who's imported a european or japanese car to NZ from the US to test that requirement.

it was on the engine from a previous owner. It really isn't all that official looking so i'm not sure who put it on. It was dirty and faded and didn't receive that much attention, if you catch my drift.

Where in the engine bay does one generally find this infamous emissions sticker ?

Smog/particule count

After doing my FJ to Hj conversion, I went to the local WA state DMV. Thinking all I was having to do was tell them the of the swap and the would change the title...........Close.....I drove up, the guy had a screwy look on his face as I pulled up to him. "that thing sounds like a diesel"...."I have seen many Land Cruisers, but this is my first diesel". told me to stop there, went and hooked a couple things to my tail pipe, ran me at idle, then advance to 2000rpms for about 30 seconds....handed me a piece of paper while telling me it barely measured anything. What they did was a carbon count using a mirror and some type of visual reader.....I was running b90 at the time, have found out from a couple other diesel heads since then..........is bio runs very clean and you will almost always pass any type of diesel test using bio

I've heard that the 75 or older FJ40 frame would require extensive modifications to pop a BJ42 body onto it.

I don't know about extensive mods but the 42 frame and the 40 frame are different. Under body gas tank, spit exhaust manifold for gas Cruisers, right hand side exhaust for diesel (which means the fuel and brake lines are on the opposite side). Even the body mounts are different bause of the changes in body. Not to mention the whole e-brake setup is different.

Where in the engine bay does one generally find this infamous emissions sticker ?

Depending on the country of origin it may be located in various spots. If we are talking US or Canada it is normally located on the drivers door jam and is the US/Fed safety and emissions plate (later was sticker) this is the holly grail if you want registration/title in California.

If it is from Japan whey do not have one (I have never seen one on a JDM before)

Australia has a steel stamped plate that is usually on the firewall.

Czeck republic has a sticker on firewall from 95' on.

Saudi Arabi does not have one for emmision but has a safty one on the doore jam (Drivers side which is left side) however it is not in English.

United Emerates also does not have one, nore does it have safety on the door jam

Ok thats all that I can speak too

Depending on the country of origin it may be located in various spots. If we are talking US or Canada it is normally located on the drivers door jam and is the US/Fed safety and emissions plate (later was sticker) this is the holly grail if you want registration/title in California.

If it is from Japan whey do not have one (I have never seen one on a JDM before)

Australia has a steel stamped plate that is usually on the firewall.

Czeck republic has a sticker on firewall from 95' on.

Saudi Arabi does not have one for emmision but has a safty one on the doore jam (Drivers side which is left side) however it is not in English.

United Emerates also does not have one, nore does it have safety on the door jam

Ok thats all that I can speak too

sorry for bringing back a very old thread..i read it all and am still not understanding why i got the DMV letter asking for the non existent toyota letter...
my 1984 BJ60 is from canada and has a 17 digit vin with the door plate saying it "conforms to all federal motor vehicle and safety standards" and the local dmv guy saw it and ( i hope checked the right box)
And i agree it depends ENTIRELY on who gets your paperwork how screwed you may become on any given day..:censor:

ok, i found this on the ca dmv site

it seems to say under titling and registration
if over 25 years old i am ok, but if under 25 i need the fmvss plate
on the door which i do. or the dreaded toyota letter...
unless i get any added ideas i plan to call this to the attention the TC div of dmv on monday..

Last edited:
Look carefully at what they ask for. I have never seen someone rejected in California for safety standards (FMVSS).

The reason being: at the Federal level there are standards for Emissions (EPA) and safety (FMVSS) that you must meet to import a vehicle. Customs checks these, so they fact that you're in the US already means that you've met them (typically by meeting the age exemption).

Any state, however, is free to pass their own standard that override the EPA or the FMVSS standards. To my knowledge, not CA or any other state has bothered to override FMVSS, but CA has overriden the EPA for emissions with their CARB laws.

Every case of California rejection I've seen has been over emissions, not over safety... so if you are indeed in trouble with CARB then you're fxxxed. If youre in trouble over some FMVSS issue then I don't know what to tell you; thats new, and very odd, territory.

EDIT: Notice in your link that being 25 years old completely exempts you from FMVSS rules. However there is no age-based exemption for emissions laws. Thats the problem with direct imports into CA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom