C clips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you have a cover on your front axle? ;)

when you finally get the front cover of the front axle housing removed, the answer to your question will be obvious...lol

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to do mine, too, and I was a bit confused by the marlin site - on the axle part page, they show 3 clips

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axleparts.html
"Front Axle Snap Rings
We carry all three front axle snap rings. The ring on the left is the outer Birfield snap ring. It is found inside the manual hub. "

"The ring in the center of the photo is the inner axle snap ring. This smaller ring goes in to the diff on the end of the axle. "

"The clip shown on the right is the inner Birfield ring, and it can be found on the outer end of the front axles, inside the Birfield."

The middle statement is incorrect, isn't it? SOR's blow-up shows a clip on the knuckle end of the axle inside of the inner birf ring. . . but not on the diff end. I'm sure it will all become clear as I dig into the knuckles first time, but it did cause me a little twich.

;p Woody!

No clips on the front axles on cruisers. well, not in the diff. The birfield clips to the hubs which prevents the birfield and axle from sliding too far into the diff. The birfield does have two clips. The inside one is the bitch.

jim45r said:
I'm getting ready to do mine, too, and I was a bit confused by the marlin site - on the axle part page, they show 3 clips

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axleparts.html
"Front Axle Snap Rings
We carry all three front axle snap rings. The ring on the left is the outer Birfield snap ring. It is found inside the manual hub. "

"The ring in the center of the photo is the inner axle snap ring. This smaller ring goes in to the diff on the end of the axle. "

"The clip shown on the right is the inner Birfield ring, and it can be found on the outer end of the front axles, inside the Birfield."

The middle statement is incorrect, isn't it? SOR's blow-up shows a clip on the knuckle end of the axle inside of the inner birf ring. . . but not on the diff end. I'm sure it will all become clear as I dig into the knuckles first time, but it did cause me a little twich.

strange description, but technically correct...there are 3 clips used during normal axle installs....

1> outer edge of the birfield
2> large clip to keep the birfield from sliding too far on the inner axle, installed on the 2nd clip slot of a stock inner axle, closest to the innerseal surface
3> metal circlip that ends up inside the birfield, and installs on the very end of the inner axle

Woody I thought it would be so easy for a man of your tallent to see my thinking. :flipoff2:

When you remove the axles on the rear you have to remove the c-clip inside the diff. At least on mine you do.

I was Thinking I might have to do the dame on the front. Since I haven't gotten a diff cover gasket I didn't want to get half way through the job and realize I needed the gasket.

Plus am I correct that they are snap rings on the front axle and not c-clips?

woody said:
you have a cover on your front axle? ;)

when you finally get the front cover of the front axle housing removed, the answer to your question will be obvious...lol

Man that is just flat out wrong. Ask for a real answer and get this for a reply. LOL

:flipoff2:

snap rings at the outer ends

Trollhole said:
Man that is just flat out wrong. Ask for a real answer and get this for a reply. LOL

:flipoff2:

of the front axles.
no inner c-clips...
no cover on the fronts(rear only)
hope this helps ;)

2badfjs said:
of the front axles.
no inner c-clips...
no cover on the fronts(rear only)
hope this helps ;)

Guess if I would have looked at the front I would have figured it out. Just trying to get some ideas before I jump in.

I takes dumb questions like mine for me to learn anything. Since being on this board I have learned so much. I now know valve adjustment, I've replaced the clutch, rear main seal, redid all the gaskest and seals on the 4spd, rebuilt my transfer case 3 times for various stupid reasons, installed locker and know all about the third member, clutch slave and master along with the brake master.

Now it's time for the front and I should have a pretty good understanding of how things work so when something breaks on the trail I can fix it myself.

I'm also looking for someone to donate a 4spd to me working or not so I can learn how to rebuild it.

Trollhole said:
Now it's time for the front and I should have a pretty good understanding of how things work so when something breaks on the trail I can fix it myself.

I'll assume you found my complete photo-only pictorial of my recent front axle work?

no text, I was lazy, but 50-ish pics of the majority of the process....

I think it's in the FAQ links - if not, post up and I'll be sure the lazy admin or lazier moderator takes care of it....lol

search term "front axle bandwidth" will pop it right up....and the bandwidth warning is serious, don't try it with dialup :D

yeah , inner c clip a bitch , 3 people , 3 screw drivers , and wham , don,t even wanna know how do do it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom