c-clip ARB + 4.88s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of installing a new set of 4.88s and and an ARB locker in the rear of my '75 FJ40. I knew I'd have to grind a tooth to install the center pin in the locker but I've also found that I cannot completely remove the center block through the window in the locker.

My question now is: Do I have to grind more teeth on the ring gear to remove the center block to install the c-clips and the axles; or is it still possible to place the c-clips without the center block completely removed? It looks like I'd have to significantly grind the edge of four teeth to remove the block. What about rounding one side of the block? Is it better to open up the window of the locker housing?

ARBwindow.jpg

I'm planning to call ARB tech tomorrow morning, but I'm hoping to wrap this up this weekend.

Last edited:
All I can say for the times i have put anything from 4.56 up past 4.88 i have to do a bunch of grinding.

HTH

Yes, You will have to grind one or two teeth slightly to remove the the pin from the ARB but it can be done.
Just make sure the ring and pinion are sey up correctly.
good luck

OK let me ask this again in a different way...

I've already ground the teeth to remove the cross pin. No problem there.

The issue now is that it is impossible to remove (or insert) the center block through the window of the ARB because four teeth of the ring gear interfere with the opening.

I think (but Im not sure) it is possible to place the axles and the c-clips by removing the center pin, then sliding the block to one side, dropping in a c-clip, then sliding the block to the other side and placing the second c-clip. Then finally inserting the center pin.

I'm a little concerned that when I try to place the second c-clip I may not be able to slide the block over far enough to insert a c-clip of the proper width. If I can only get a thinner c-clip in I may run the risk of having it drop out once Im rolling.

You'll need to grind off the edge of the pin"the round part that holds the axles apart."
about a 1/8th of an inch... enough to let it swing out. do not alter the c-clips... those are not something you want to worry about.
hth. Dave

grind until you can do what you need too...

I setup an ARB with 4.88's this summer and had to do some grinding to get the center block out as well...

I have opened up the hole to get that piece out on a few without issue...

I would take the gear off the carrier, remove the pieces from the inside of the locker, stuff a rag in there, and take a carbide to the edge of the hole. Like I said, do not get carried away with it, as it does not take that much to make those pieces fit.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom