1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C-A-T Need the Mud Opinion?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by reffug, Aug 12, 2005.

1. reffug

reffug

OK so I come home today from a typical 11hour day. Knowing I'm going back tomorrow on my day off for more fun and games only to find that in my abscence a kitten has found my home and 4 year old daughter. OH JOY!!!!!! I have always stated unequivocably that there would never be a cat in my house. My wife knows this and has always agreed, at least until today. Now I have a 4 year old who is begging me daddy please let me keep her, I promise to feed her, and take care of her etc......blah blah blah. Now I hate to be the bad guy but I have always loved being a one dog family, and don't know if a cat person is something I can become. Anyway wanted to throw it out there to gather a little feedback.

2. mabrodis

mabrodis

Cats are great, way, WAY less maintenance than a dog.

You don't have to become a 'cat person' if you don't want, you give it food, water, and clean the litterbox and that's it, nothing else to do.

I grewup with dogs and cats, and have yet to get a dog, wouldn't mind it, but I like the cat mentality, she comes around to see us when it's convenient for her, she's not needy, she'll gladly sleep a day or two at a time in a back room, then come out to socialize after my son goes to bed... :D

A good analogy I've heard is dogs have owners, cats have staff.

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    My wife was never a cat person, until she moved in with us. Now she has "hers", and there is nothing she loves more (even the dog). Not to say that's gonna happen to you. But if your daughter loves it, you definitely should do it for her, and who knows, maybe you'll find it is OK.

4. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

Pets are great-we've had cats, and now a dog. Make it "her" cat and have her feed it. It's probably too much to ask a 4 year old to do the litter box thing. It's great for kids, and it gives you an excuse to get a dog. A dog raised around your cat is unlikely to be aggressive toward it. If you get sick of the cat, you could adopt one of Eric's pitbulls.

5. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

I wholeheartedly DO NOT advocate cat ownership.

Steve

6. reffug

reffug

There is no fawkin way I'm ever cleaning a litterbox period end of story. :flipoff2:

That will have to be a stipulation of the cats residing around me. :flipoff2:

I ain't gonna be on anybody's staff cept Woody and Dougs. :cool:

7. mabrodis

mabrodis

:D

Well I'd rather clean a litterbox than pickup dog poop from all over the yard, atleast the litterbox is all in one small spot...

Our cat is great, she likes me best, always sleeps on my side of the bed, when I'm up late doing stuff she's always right by my feet when I'm at the computer, or laying on my chest if I'm watching TV.

:D

8. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Well don't look at me; Fawk .... :ban:

9. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I love cats even though they piss me off when they puke on things. If you are not a cat person, may be best not to keep a cat.

I think ONE cat is enough in a house though. And one cat and one dog can provide great comical moments..

10. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

My wife's highly allergic to cats, so I'll never have that problem. :D

It's tough to deny a 4 year-old :princess: a little kitty, but let's be real -- she will NOT likely be the one feeding it daily, it'll be you or your wife after the newness of the kitty fades. It'll be your wife cleaning the cat box -- damn...I hate cat boxes. Hopefully the kitten doesn't grow up to piss everywhere... IMO, that's one VERY UNPLEASANT smell.

I don't mind cats...I just prefer they live somewhere else.

11. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    It's not about the cat. It's not about you. It's about your daughter.

Consider yourself lucky if you have the opportunity to do something to make her life a bit brighter.

12. ain't your mamas cruizer

ain't your mamas cruizer

Let her have the kitty.

Is it asking too much to expect a 4 year old to be responsible for a cat?

13. NorCalDoug

good point IDave, but at 4, she'll get just as excited over a puppy...or a new barbie...a jar of jelly beans. 4 year-olds aren't too hard to please sometimes.

14. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet

That's pretty funny...:D

I have had cats and dogs both. I used to be more of a cat person but I am drifting more over to dogs now.

My cats never did piss on my tires or s*** all over the driveway but litterbox duty is very unplesant. Of course scooping poop in the yard isn't either. My favorite chair was ALWAYS covered in cat hair..... :rolleyes:

15. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Perhaps, but she wants it now, perhaps that's a good lever. Say it comes with responsibility. You can always make other arrangements if she doesn't follow through. An opportunity for a lesson.

16. NorCalDoug

Based only on my experience with my girls (everyone's is different), real responsibility didn't seem to emerge until just after 6 years of age. Mine turned 6 a couple months ago and is just now at the level that she can be counted on to do things on a regular basis.

I've been feeding her fish for the past year -- only recently has she remembered that he needs to be fed twice a day. It's a good thing that Betas are tough :)

17. Shahram

Shahram I ain't got herpes no more.

What I am about to say may confuse some, and deeply offend others.

A) I love cats.

B) Cats are filthy disgusting and vile creatures.

I've been a friend to many a cat in my time on Earth, and I can unequivocally say that I love cats. Like any other semi-intelligent creature, a cat is what you put into it. If you are good to your cat and pay attention and stimulate it, it will grow up to be a cool companion for many years. I have known some REALLY great cats.

That said, cats emit the most foul goo and s*** and stink next to the common skunk. The amount of ammonia in cat pee is inhibitive to breathing, they catch and sometimes kill, but invariably bring into the house all manner of vermin and/or neighbor's pets. They shed, their dander will make your guests have allergy problems, you may wake up one day with a never-ending case of the sniffles (depends on lots of factors, but it happens), and your cat's foul, disgusting, fishy/ratty/crickety/birdy/roachy s*** will either a) sit in the yard, waiting for you to step in it and generally stink up the hedges, or b) stink up your house, they get resentful of changes in their environment(new cat/baby/puppy/TV), often leading them to compulsively s*** and piss in or on your favorite possessions, and in their later years they require nearly constant expensive and heart-wrenching veterinary care, then when you think they are well, one day they just keel over and die. By then, your daughter will be in college and you will be left to handle the bullshit end.

And, God forbid, you or a family member ever become ill with a compromised immune system, the kitty will have to go bye-bye and the house torn out and sterilized.

If I were you, I'd practice the word "No" in this situation.

PS--Yes, cats require minimally less maintenance, but for what dogs require they give back 100x.

18. cruiserman

cruiserman

Cats will tear up your furniture.

Where did it come from?

19. 2badfjs

2badfjs

TY, youre the first one i though of man.

THATS KINDA FUNNY..... :doh:

20. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

I have one cat and two 80-90 lbs dogs.

The single cat has done more damage to my house and furniture than the two dogs.

He will be my last cat. Got him with marriage.

I grew up with cats not dogs. Now I get to make the decision!