Bypassing EGR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
My FJ62 has been running pretty ruff at idle and has been stalling. I found that my new battery was not fully charged. I unhooked and plugged the egr valve and it seems to be idling better and the engine is quieter. Has anyone else bypassed the valve like my picture?

image.jpg

image.jpg

No Sir, not sure I've seen golf tee's used that way before!

Temporary solution. Chester how is it done? Or are you just committing on the tees. I figure the peanut gallery will like the tee solution

20141007_133634.jpg
but at the end of the day, you can't go wrong with something like this

An EGR valve diaphragm can fail, in which case your 'fix' will stop the vacuum leak, or the valve itself can stick open, in which case you need a block off plate or to replace the valve. Your method will certainly keep the EGR diaphragm from leaking.

I am thinking the EGR was getting stuck open. But I may have a couple of problems with the smog system so it maybe just better to remove it all.

Any other band aids or temp fixes to bypass the egr and other smog control parts?

on the egr, you can plug it seal it or remove it and block off the ports.
smog pump, you can pull the rotary vanes, plug the lines or remove it and block off the ports.
if you just start yankin', you could be dealing with CEL's and worse, from what I've heard...

I pulled all mine out along with the rest of the emissions. Check out the "Desmog Guide" by Spook50 in the FAQ's.

From what I can tell its a placebo effect but it certainly made getting at my alternator easier.

Just use freeze plugs. Cheap. Easy. Clean.

IMGP0030.JPG

IMGP0031.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom