Bypass transmission cooler in radiator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RPN

Threads
Hello Folks. Looking for some advice from the clever people.

I have a 1 HD-T with an A 440 transmission, and have installed a transmission temp gauge. As we all know, being able to see what goes on doesn't always make for a peaceful journey.....

The transmission cooler is incorporated into the bottom tank of the radiator, so I guess this means that the coolest the fluid will get is the same as the radiator discharge temperature. It would seem probable that at slow vehicle speed and high transmission load the cooling effect would be at its lowest, and of course this is a time when what we want is max cooling effect.
Has anybody bypassed the factory setup and just run straight to a front mounted transmission cooler - did it work better/worse/no appreciable difference? Summer is on the way, and if this is going to help improve reliability I'd like to get the project under way.

What are your temps? I can tell you all the Toyota autos I have tested all run hotter in OD.

I also have a 1HDT with a 440 and living in Phoenix, Arizona (one of the hottest places on the planet) has no issue.

Usually around 40 -80 (100-170F), but hard driving in mud will see 110 (230F), sometimes 120 (248F). The sensor is inline before the radiator. It seems to be more of a how hard it is driven than how hot the ambient temps are issue.
I've only once seen the over temp light, and that was before the gauge install, so I don't know how hot it was.

In plow trucks it's common to add an aluminum finned radiator after the factory radiator. Meaning the OEM setup does it's job, and than the aftermarket unit cools the fluid down further.

Does yours have the tow package trans cooler? All USA market have them, other markets/models may or may not, it's a good, effective cooler.

Check out this company:

Thanks for the answers folks, I hadn't considered the heating function of the radiator, but I believe there is a thermostat in the transmission that holds closed until about 40/50 deg C. It allowed me to drive 2km from the workshop before I discovered the loose hose clamp on the thermocouple pocket..... what a mess.
I'll get in touch with Rod @ WAT, although shipping between here and Aussie is ridiculous. The Tasman sea is probably the most expensive piece of water on the planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom