Bypass oil filtration on the 2UZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I'm a big fan of bypass oil filtration on engines. I have systems on my Powerstroke and will be using one on the Cadillac 472 going into my 1972 C20 Custom Camper. I've got an NTZ filter setup meant for Ford CVPI 4.6L V8s and would like to use it on my 2UZ. That said, where would one tap into a pressure supply and return line? I do realize the 2UZ is really easy on oil, but bypass filtration can really extend oil change intervals (OCI) by filtering even sub-micron particles.

Out of curiosity, how far are you trying to make it between changes?

Out of curiosity, how far are you trying to make it between changes?

That was going to be my question as well. The 2UZ is SO easy on oil (normal conditions) that it seems like wasted effort to add bypass filtration. I change my oil at 6-7K religiously....but judging by oil appearance I could go 10-12K no problem.

I run Delo or Rotella in both by 80 series and 100 series. I have 316K miles on the 80 series 230K on the 100 series.

Aren’t people going a full year with MobilOne full synthetic already?

I plan on driving to Alaska and then to Argentina so maximizing my oil change interval has been something I’ve been pretty interested in.

When I got my LX I started with a 3k oil change interval (full synthetic Pennzoil, with the Fram XG-3614 filter). I get a Blackstone analysis done on my oil every change and since the report has always come back looking great I have incremented the change interval by 1 or 2k for each subsequent change. I’m up to 8k now and the last Blackstone report said my oil still looked great so I think we could probably get 10k per change no problem. Bear in mind these were probably 90% highway miles.

If that isn’t enough range then maybe an easier way to get more life out of the oil would be to change the filter between oil changes, without changing the oil?

To provide some perspective, before I installed a bypass system on my 7.3L Powerstroke, I had to an OCI of 5,000 miles. That's changing out 4 gallons of oil every 5,000 miles. No thanks with all the driving I would do in the Seattle area.

I've used Blackstone for years (as an engineer and diesel mechanic) and with their reports on the engine oil, I've been able to go from 5,000 miles to 35,000 miles. I typically stick with Schaeffer's 9000 synthetics in all my vehicles for the strength of their additive package and consistent low wear rates.

Granted, I do far less driving living in my hometown here in Idaho. I've been able to go nearly 4 years on an oil change in the Powerstroke (oil was changed in November 2016 prior to my move back to Idaho), and the oil only has about 7K miles on this interval. A Blackstone report from 1K miles ago shows that oil is still going strong.

I'd like to have similar results on my 2UZ and I have a filter ready for installation. I'd hate to have that NTZ filter just sitting around gathering dust. I have several Frantz oil cleaners. Those work really well with single ply toilet paper. Not going to get into an argument with those who say the toilet paper dissolves in oil, that contention was destroyed years ago. My plan for my Cadillac 472 rebuild is to use the Frantz on that engine.

I've been coming up goose eggs on an oil supply port to a bypass filter on the 2UZ. The 7.3L was designed for bypass oil filters in mind, it was a snap having the hydraulic hoses made and routed on the F-250's frame to the oil filter canister.

My LX is essentially my daily driver, I love driving it even more than my Powerstroke but want to ensure I get a long life out of that 2UZ. I was never really a Toyota guy until I bought that Lexus, now I'm hooked.

I wouldn’t mess with it, it’s such a good motor stock you’re better off keeping it well-maintained and not modified.

Just make sure the oil filter always gets on tight and proper. We lost a 2UZ to a shop’s mistake last year.

Yeah I've come to same conclusions about the 2UZ based on my research on BITOG (Bob Is the Oil Guy). That said, I figure a bypass filter is cheap further insurance. I'm with you Eicca, regular maintenance is the key factor. I do all my own oil changes as I don't trust anyone else spinning wrenches on my vehicles unless I've fully vetted their work. I'm paranoid that way.

4alqoe.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom