By-product benefit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There has been more of a silver lining than I first thought when I swapped out a new throttle cable recently. I have noticed, since it's been cold in the mornings now, that my engine doesn't rev up so high as it did before when I first start it up.

I believe this is due to my cleaning out the intake and around the butterfly mostly. I believe I have reduced my startup high idle by about 200-300 RPM!! :cheers:

Anyhow, a pleasant suprise. That $90 for the cable is paying off in more ways than it was intended to.

So... Go get some "Intake and Throttle body Cleaner" spray, I got mine on sale 2 for $3.99, get a screwdriver, take the intake tube off -- inspect for cracks -- and go for it!! :D You'll be glad you did :cheers:

Jody.

I just used intake cleaner also before doing my smog test. Definitely feel the difference at idle. This baby just purrs now.

That's great, and supports what I was told just the other day. While down at SleeOffroad, I was talking to Robbie about the high idle fix that some have done to correct the high start idle. In a nutshell, he said don't bother, clean your throttle body instead. perhaps a can of throttle body cleaner is in my future too... easy job?

Very easy job. Just take off the intake tube and spray the hell out of the interior of the intake. Get a clean, lint-free shop rag and wipe out the gunga and excess spray as you go. I opened the throttle butterfly and sprayed past it a bit and all around where it closes. I maybe could have done a better job if I didn't have big hands that couldn't reach back in there too far. But I could get to where the butterfly seats.

When you start it up after this cleaning it will run rough for about 30 sec. to a minute while it burns that cleaner. Mine smoothed out just fine in about 30 seconds. A little un-nerving at first, but as it gets better you relax. Be sure and replace the intake tube BEFORE you start it up. That way the computer won't wig out when the MAF meter ain't respondin'...

Jody.

Removing the intake chamber and cleaning will get all the carbon out that you can't reach.
My EGR tube inside the chamber was plugged almost closed.

I found it really helped to let it soak and use my brother's toothbrush to scrub on it ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom