By-passing the paperclip cooler? (solved w/ Solution Post 5) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening y'all, hope everyone is doing well.

My paper clip cooler has been leaking for the past couple of month, and its one of the things that I neglected while I was working on my truck over the summer. Its gotten bad enough the hydraulic fluid stains in the apartment garage so I have to address it asap. (Along with the fuel filler neck sitting in my garage, and soldering the ABS sensor that broke off ☠️)

But I am a couple hours away from home at law school, not sure if I will have all the tools nor space necessary to swap it to another PS cooler unit since the radiator has to come out. I was hoping to just by-pass the paperclip all together with a hose. I was wondering if that was a viable option? If so, do I just unbolt the paper clip cooler and unplug the line from both ends and connect them together with the nipple fittings? Also, is the line ID 3/8? Also would a mechanic be able to do this, since its abit of a hack?

I am kinda lost on this one, any help would be appreciate it.

Last edited:
pic of her!

IMG_3853.JPG

You can bypass the paper clip by substituting it with a 3/8” barbed union. I’d definitely install a heat sink cooler like the one posted above at some point. Heat probably won’t be much of an issue for you until maybe mid summer.

quick update:

Didn't do the work myself. But I found a very old thread with good instructions which I sent to a good local mechanic:

Found the exact same tranny cooler from the post: Amazon product ASIN B000CIGE9G
Probably could've gotten a cheaper one for like 20$ but I didn't want to risk it not fitting well at the shop, or the shop getting a bad one from a junk yard.

68926627043__5920786D-EC2A-4351-9C8B-3198D2D4E1BD copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom