By god it works (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got the 80 back from the shop today, and as much as I hate letting someone else do work on my truck, they did a great job. I was somewhat skeptical about what they decided the problem was, but it has worked flawlessly today. Also, I had several little annoying electrical problems that have for lack of a better word disapeared.

I wont say I recommend replacing your distributor to end your starter problems until mine has been ran for a longer amount of time with no problems, but it sure cranks a hell of a lot harder and works every time you turn the key with absolutely no delay like there was before.

Pick up coil was what they said was wrong in case you missed my last post.

Skyshark186,
It sounds to me like you have a starter going bad.
I just went through rebuilding mine. $36 for new OEM plunger and contacts.
I removed mine and took it in. ($2 hours book time for Mr. Yoda)
Evidently you need the contacts as there are a few different ones so you need to match them up.
When I turned my key it would roll over slow, then start fine, or just clack as the bendix popped into the flywheel but did not spin, or as it got worse just clicked. If I repeated a few times it would eventually start.

Sky, sorry to hear that it's still not working right. I don't have anything to offer as a solution. But your story reminds me of a 6 month battle I had with a otherwise stellar Mitsu Montero, I fianally got so frustrated and stranded so many times I gambled and traded it in on a T100, when the dealer test drove it, it was perfect (fingers crossed) and I was home free! Hope it gets fixed before it comes to that, for you. :)

Last edited:
fzj80kidpen said:
Skyshark186,
I just went through rebuilding mine. $36 for new OEM plunger and contacts.
I removed mine and took it in. ($2 hours book time for Mr. Yoda)

I thought removal was the hard part and changing contacts & plunger easy?

skyshark186 said:
Rebuilt one starter with contacts, it still did it so I put a brand new one on. That was about a week ago. Doubt it bad already

I've checked my wiring and relays on my starter 4 times and am now the owner of 3 starters, the original, a re-built and a new one. I've repaired the original once, the re-built 3 times and have not touched the new one yet. The same problem as yours and up to today it continued.

Today I spoke to a car electrician I hadn't seen in a couple of years and he suggested I just add a relay directly to the starter as the problem seemed to be an inadequate power supply but he wasn't going to go through my wiring. I tried it...so far so good.

Kalawang

Could possibly be the inginition?

Skyshark and I had the same problem. An intermittent click with no crank. Batteries good.

Kalawang

Not sure about the ignition. I will let you know if the shop that has it comes to that. I tried the relay thing, and I dont really think its an inadiquate power thing. When it cranks it cranks fast and hard. Then out of nowhere(normally when hot) it just stops working. I would like to think its something to do with heat, but at this point I really dont know. Like I said, if they find anything I will let you know.

Thanks for the good word and the advice. Between all of you guys, myself, and a seemingly good mechanic hopefully someone can figure something out.

Get a bigger hammer.

Always works for me.

We had Mercedes that did this and it was the lock-out switch in the A/T thinking it was in gear.

I thought I'd seen another thread on this subject and the problem was resolved but it wasn't the starter in the end.

If it's any consolation, my Jeep Grand Cherokee had the same problem, and I never did figure out what it was. I sold the car basically to get rid of that problem.

skyshark186 said:
Not sure about the ignition. I will let you know if the shop that has it comes to that. I tried the relay thing, and I dont really think its an inadiquate power thing. When it cranks it cranks fast and hard. Then out of nowhere(normally when hot) it just stops working. I would like to think its something to do with heat, but at this point I really dont know. Like I said, if they find anything I will let you know.

Thanks for the good word and the advice. Between all of you guys, myself, and a seemingly good mechanic hopefully someone can figure something out.

You're right about the relay. It didn't solve my problem. :mad:

At the moment I'm trying to hire a car electrician whose supposed to be very good and I'm going to have him take my wiring apart here in my home after which we shall go through another testing. I'm actually considering a change of all relays and solenoids concerned and maybe some of their neighbors for good measure.

Kalawang

Check your key switch, how worn is your key? It's posible that the contacts are dirty/worn and not activating the starter relay in the start position - had this problem on a couple of cars before.

Wire in a remote starter switch in the engine compartment, when the key doesn't work, try the remote switch, if it works you found the problem.

Patpend2000,

That sounds possible. I'll try to dismantle it and see what I find.

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom