Buzzing noise from starter/TB area with key on and engine off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shtbrwn86

SILVER Star
Threads
Hoping someone can chime in on this if it's normal or not? It's very likely that it's always done this and I just noticed the other day when I was removed the resistor for the DRL recall. It was probably the first time I have every had the key in the on position while I was under the hood. It's the loudest as I put my ear to the throttle body area.

Video (sorry a truck drove by and then a plane flew overhead, but the sound is pretty clearly audible....)

Sounds a little bit like the brake booster pump but you are sure it's not that, correct?

Hoping someone can chime in on this if it's normal or not? It's very likely that it's always done this and I just noticed the other day when I was removed the resistor for the DRL recall. It was probably the first time I have every had the key in the on position while I was under the hood. It's the loudest as I put my ear to the throttle body area.

Video (sorry a truck drove by and then a plane flew overhead, but the sound is pretty clearly audible....)
What year is the vehicle?

Following along. I installed HID recently and heard this noise. Wasn't sure if it was the ballast or something else.

Edit: I should add it could have been there before I just hadn't had my head in the engine bay w/ key in on position

Sounds a little bit like the brake booster pump but you are sure it's not that, correct?
I’m familiar with the brake booster pump sound and it’s not that. It sounds electrical… like current flow or something. But it’s definitely coming from the throttle body area.

Following along. I installed HID recently and heard this noise. Wasn't sure if it was the ballast or something else.

Edit: I should add it could have been there before I just hadn't had my head in the engine bay w/ key in on position
I feel the same way. I’ve never actually hung out and listened to the engine bay with the key in and the engine off. I was removing the DRL resistor and so I was testing the lights but didn’t want to start the engine to do so.

I did a Google search for Buzzing Throttle body and there are tons of posts from different makes (Honda/Benz/Nissan etc) regarding a similar noise. Some people say the noise is current going to the TB prior to start. But i would think that would be the case for drive by wire and not the traditional cable TB system that is in the 99

This gentleman does an excellent job explaining what the throttle control motor is (what you are hearing).

Wow. That guy knows his stuff! Thanks for the video! In addition to learning about the Throttle Control Motor, I learned that my pre-VVT engine is still drive by wire. The cable is just there as a backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom