Buying WIth/without lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1994 80 without lockers 135k 1 owner $8500.

1997 80 40th Anniversary Lockers 132K ? owners $11000.

Should I buy the 94 and add lockers or buy the 97 and be done. Are there any extreme differencse between the two besides the lack of airbags?

Thanks AJ

Different trans, different dash, OBD-II.

You are going to get 10000000 different answers on this. For each is own!

It boils down to what YOU want! Ie, color, interior, options, etc....

Me, i am picky and although the 40th is very nice, i really dislike the brown interior and that is all they ever came with, so that was out in my search!

Those are pretty close in price considering one is 3 years newer with almost the same miles.

It also depends on what you plan on using it for. You might NEVER need locker, you might need them twice a month when wheeling. I would say, if you like the 40th, go with it! 11k for a lower mileage rig with lockers is not that bad at all!

The 97 has a different tranny, some say weaker, some say its not, again, for each is own.

The 97 has OBD-II which is cool and you can pull trouble codes. Also, the newer dash is kinda cool, you can add a cupholder! :) Other then that, not much difference! Do the Airbags even work with the ARB?

Personally, i like my 120k 93 i scored for $6k with NO factory roofrack or wind deflector! The only thing i regret is going with the leather, personally, i wish i waited for cloth! I also jumped on mine because of the price and condition of the rig, it was VERY VERY clean but i didnt care for the color. Still dont care for the color too much, but i love the rig and feel i definitely got my $'s worth!

In the end, its whatever makes YOU happy!

This is just of course, my .02!

Last edited:
I would get the 97, IF money isnt your biggest concern,Its newer, same milage, has lockers....
That being said, I would drive both see what you like better, Either rig will get you many places you want to get to, Lockers will get you farther possibly in more trouble if it surpasses your driving skills, I have a 94 FZJ80 without lockers and Its great for me, I would have LOVED to have lockers but for what I paid, I got my moneys worth.
Goood luck!

I bought mine without knowing about lockers. If I had known, I would have waited how ever long it took to find one with lockers. At the time I was looking, I thought all 80s were the same. Now I know what I want (lockers and CLOTH), I'm looking again!

--Eddie

mason said:
Now I know what I want (lockers and CLOTH), I'm looking again!

Good luck on finding that combo! :D

If you are even wondering about the lockers, just get the '97 and be done with it!

Even if you don't end up using it, you'll sleep better at night knowing it's there. :rolleyes: ;p

Mot ;)

97 w/lockers

Without having seen either one or knowing anything about them...all the advice I can give is what I've suggested to countless others who've asked the same question...

Get the newest cruiser in the best condition, with the lowest miles you can afford to get.

Unless you're planning on changing gears (upgrading from the OEM 4.10 to 4.56 or 4.88), consider these two about equal (since you're planning on adding lockers to the unlocked, lower priced one.

If you're planning on switching to taller gears, the 94 has a slight advange over the 97 ONLY IF you swap gears when you add the lockers.

Definitely 97 with lockers! You won't regret it and you do not need to retrofit since it is free. I say go with the lockers.

Id go with the 97, Lockers, ABS, Airbags, and you can post up in the 40th anniversary registry :flipoff2: . Plus I really love the 2 tone seats in my 40th.:D

97 with lockers. They are great when wheeling, driving in bad weather and in deep snow. You didn't post where you live and that can make a difference.

The next 80 i get, i will get with lockers...i thought all 93 had lockers when i got mine..didn't look for the dial/knob....this was when i was a newbie..

mason said:
I bought mine without knowing about lockers. If I had known, I would have waited how ever long it took to find one with lockers. At the time I was looking, I thought all 80s were the same. Now I know what I want (lockers and CLOTH), I'm looking again!

--Eddie
Hope you like the beige metallic color. To my knowledge that is about the only way to get lockers with cloth. Of course my white/grey 94 will have lockers and cloth in another 2 weeks.

ginericfj80 said:
Hope you like the beige metallic color. To my knowledge that is about the only way to get lockers with cloth. Of course my white/grey 94 will have lockers and cloth in another 2 weeks.
I have personally seen other colors with cloth.
Some people had them special ordered from the factory. They're extremely rare though...

Get a 100 :flipoff2:

Both 80's in similiar condition? Locked 97. No doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom