buying used -- warn mx10,000 worth getting for an 80 or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
anything wrong with a warn 10k for an 80? a winch had been down my list a ways but the last family camping trip my wife was anxious that we were going to get stuck in the middle of nowhere so I moved it up the list to make us both happy!

all of a sudden there are 3 used 10k warns right now for sale locally asking C$700 to $650. I can get one for $600 CDN for sure that is a 1999 winch off a gov't truck with 32,000km on it. That's about US$475. since i am an expedition/camper not a rock crawler it would be for occasional use. I know the 12k is better but they are ridiculously pricey at a dealer, never come on for sale used and the best internet price is C$1300 - plus if i buy on the web that shows up on the visa bill where she sees it and so eats into my #6 fund something fierce whereas cash is king:D I know the 10k winch has the 2.6 hp motor vs. 4.5 hp for the 12k and there is a slower line speed. Guess without much winching experience I don't know if the 10k is a waste of time or good enough to get me out if I am patient.

thoughts?

Good enough-you should buy it. For that kind of $ saving, who cares if it takes 20 seconds longer to pull you out of a mud hole. Most winch pulls are short-a few feet or so and I read somewhere that the average line tension during the average pull is only 2500 pounds. What you are talking about is 1/3 the price of new. Thats a really good deal. Go buy it and be happy.

Should work fine. I guy in my club has run the 10000 on his 80 for years, he wheels pretty hard and he had never had a problem.

Heffenoche said:
Should work fine. I guy in my club has run the 10000 on his 80 for y

got it! thanks guys and heffenoche you have mail if you still have that roller fairlead for sale. C$500 with no fairlead. M10,000.
winch.jpg

If you use a pulley block at your anchoring point and bring the hook back to your truck you will double the pulling strength of the winch (or it will reduce the amperage draw by about 1/2 for light pulls.) Gee, I hope that made sense!

Good purchase Semlin, you will be well served by the M10000. Make sure you have good connections and a good battery...and you'll love it. If you're not already versed in winching/self recovery techniques then get to reading.

Winches are great....but can really hurt you if improperly used.

Have fun!

I have the same winch since I bought it brand new in '99. Works great and no issues. I did cut the cable almost in half in order to keep the current draw to a minimum and the pulling power to a maximum. Warn winches do tend to sound louder than winches, FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom