Buying the wife a new used car Lexus or Acura (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Which one would you choose?
2002 Acura TL 74000 miles
or 1998 Lexus GS300 107000
Opinions please.
The Lexus is cheaper by 2K

Anything that is not American Honda.

I have a 97 Acura 3.0CL. It has a notoriously under engineered autobox. There is a petition on the web that had over 100k signatures two years ago when I had the failure.

I informed Acura every time I went to Kramer Acura in Santa Monica that the transmission had shifting issues. (starting at about 10k miles, over 10 times in the remaining 20k miles before the warranty expired)

At about 32k the transmission expired and when I had the car towed to the dealer they asked me for $4,000.00!!

I pointed out I had informed them repeatedly and they said too bad. I had it fixed, and was forced to sue them to get the money back. I am in the market for a new car and would not consider anything from American Honda. (too bad as I like the Accord)

Just my 2cents.

have the wife buy her own car (assuming she is of legal age) - she knows best what she wants :D

Go with the Acura, my wife had a 92 Vigor that she sold when it hit 200,000 miles. Bought a new Accord and still regrets it. The only maintenance on the Vigor was a timing chain at 100,000 for $500.00

My experiences with Honda's auto trannies are not great + flaky electronic issues (read ECM, ABS...)

I'd go with the Lexus: RWD baby!

given the 2 options, I'd say Lexus GS 300.

They are both good cars. Check out the consumers reports at your local library. My opinion, get the one with least amount of miles if they both have good track records. I would also consider her driving habits before you buy any car. Just my opinion

I've had Hondas and I've loved them, but IMHO you can not beat a Lexus, the Acuras are nice, but Lexus is really the top of the line.

Go for the Lexus--in that time period Acura had a ton of transmission problems--they get a black dot in consumer reports. Although if it has the rebuilt transmission your good to go. You should also check out lexus ls400's on ebay.

True about the tranny problems.
However Acura has issued a recall on them, they replace the part that is the root cause of the tranny failure and bump out the tranny warrany to 100,000 miles. The part has been replaced already.

DSRTRDR said:
have the wife buy her own car (assuming she is of legal age) - she knows best what she wants :D

LOL, x2. :D

Both are great cars. Is the Acura an auto? Also, how many miles will the wife be putting on the car over the next few years? If a lot, go for the newer, if few, go for older/cheaper.

Auto.
Good points.
Thanks guys.
We will go drive both this evening.

Jman said:
LOL, x2. :D

Both are great cars. Is the Acura an auto? Also, how many miles will the wife be putting on the car over the next few years? If a lot, go for the newer, if few, go for older/cheaper.

trucruiser said:
True about the tranny problems.
However Acura has issued a recall on them, they replace the part that is the root cause of the tranny failure and bump out the tranny warrany to 100,000 miles. The part has been replaced already.

Acura told me to f*uck off. I had the work orders showing my complaints from 10k-30k.

I had it repaired at an indipendant and added a tranny cooler. I won in court and got my money back. The car now has 42k It would be nice if it has a tranny warranty untill 100k as I still don't trust the tranny.

94landcruiser said:
Acura told me to f*uck off. I had the work orders showing my complaints from 10k-30k.

I had it repaired at an indipendant and added a tranny cooler. I won in court and got my money back. The car now has 42k It would be nice if it has a tranny warranty untill 100k as I still don't trust the tranny.

The service advisor told me they all have a factory issued warranty to 100k on the transmissions since the recall.
Thanks for the input.

trucruiser said:
The service advisor told me they all have a factory issued warranty to 100k on the transmissions since the recall.
Thanks for the input.

No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom