Buying questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I've been 'lurking' here reading through the many, many excellent posts over the past couple of months or so since I've decided to buy a Land Cruiser instead of a 4runner.

Based on this board's input on the type of use I'll be subjecting it to (lots of commuting, fair amount of snow trips, and moderate off-road treks), I've limited my searches to '98 and up 100's and LX's. Also, I definitely plan on putting around 20K to 25K miles per year on it and I'd like to keep it at least 10 years. Lately, I've more or less ruled out the LX's (although I've seen some at great prices) because of the very limited selection of off-road aftermarket parts for it plus I'm not real keen on the long-term prospects of the AHC.

My budget is $25K tops and I've found a '98 with 90K miles on it for around $17K in excellent shape and an '01 with 90K on it also in excellent shape for around $24K. The '01 was used to travel between CA and CO around six times a year to tow a couple of snowmobiles up to the snow. The '98 was used primarily as what is commonly referred to as a 'soccer-mobile'. I've also seen a number of '00's in my area with 75K to 85K miles on them in great shape for around $23K.

Which brings me to my questions:

Between the '98 and '01 which is the better deal?

I've read through the model differences and I know this is kind of subjective, but are the differences worth the extra $7K or so? Some people absolutely swear by the ATC and others must have the rear AC and one-touch windows.

Would anyone be concerned about the towing on the '01 (about 1500 lbs for about 10K miles a year)?

Thanks a million for any input.

Cheers,

Have you considered a G-Wagon? ;)

If you haul anyone in the 2nd row or 3rd row, the rear AC is a must have. Down here in NC, 98 degress and 90% humidity, my lc equipped with front and rear air will cool down quickly and even make it cold inside the vehicle for all passengers. In my former 99 without rear ac, the truck would not cool down so I would have to run the front AC full blast all the time and the 2nd row and 3rd row folks would suffer.

I hope this helps.

uzj100

With the 100 series, I'd say pretty much the newer, the better. If you are going to keep it long term, I'd lean more towards the 01. The biggest difference is the ATRAC, beneficial in the snow and and safer for regular street driving. 90k on the '01 usually means long distance trips.

But in terms of which is the better deal? The 98 is at the bottom end of its depreciation and the 01 still has some to go.

I would not rule out the LX's. There are only a few parts that are limited to LC's. Front bumper and sliders come to mind. But Christo is supposed to have the LX sliders out sometime soon. The LX's suspension could easily be converted to use OME components and reverted back to AHC if chosen. If you don't plan on changing the suspension right away, I'd say the stock LX suspension is quite a bit better than the stock LC's.

I would have no problem towing 1500lbs, 10k/year. I believe all 100's have transmission coolers.

Last edited:
uzj100 "If you haul anyone in the 2nd row or 3rd row, the rear AC is a must have "

ditto on that one!

get as many service records as you can!

Yes, I agree, the rear A/C is a must. I am in So Cal and with passengers in the second and third row, the A/C helps a lot.

Also, I don't think either are "great" deals but you are not being ripped off. In So Cal, one can get a 2000 LC for between $22-$25 from a "dealer" with 1 year warranty and about 70,000 miles.

Make sure you get a CarFax report.

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies everyone. Looking forward to joining the 'clan' real soon...

Last edited:
good luck and welcome!
Buying one of these makes you part of a small elite, no doubt.
Something like only 50,000 folks in this great country of almost 300M are smart enough or fortunate enough for that wise choice...!

lesseee: 50000/300000000 = 50/300000 = 5/30000 = 1/10000 roughtly

Wow! ;)

I live in HOT Atlanta GA and my kids don't even want the rear air on most of the time. The front is extremely cold and powerful. But they ride in the second row. If you use the third row for passengers I'd agree the rear air is a must. But 90% of the time they ask me to turn off the rear air within 2 minutes of getting into the car.

I just saw a beautiful 2000 LC with only 41k miles on Ebay recently. I think he wanted about $25,000 for it. It looked like new. It was in California. It was Champagne color. I'd have bought it myself if I hadn't just bought mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4560565610

The 90k service is pretty expensive($1000+), if any of those vehicles have had it done already, that could be a factor on if it is a good deal.

Agreed that Rear A/C is a must. I love my 99, not sure that I've ever needed the traction control system, even driving on a 200 mile trip in 6 inches of snow mine was just fine.

Based upon what I have read from others...the cat's pajamas is a 2000+ LC with aftermarket (ARB) lockers fr & rr....then you have the best...but also a light wallet :D

I like my 00. Rear air and TRAC. The TRAC worked MUCH BETTER than I thought possible. I am planning a rear ARB asap for the real nasty stuff, but the TRAC got me through some tough trails. Rear air is a must have too.

Truth is, the best advice I've heard is to buy the nicest, lowest mileage LC you can afford. Also factor the 90k service into the equation.

First mod? NEW SHOCKS. The stock shocks let go on my first off road trip. 84k on the truck. Even if you are leaving the tbars and rear springs stock, ditch the shocks for some nice new units.

Just buy mine ( :

Jukelemon said:
Just buy mine ( :

in your best caveman voice say over and over..........

1995 camry good.......... (well okay, its no bmw, but if the light hits it just right!)
sell cruiser bad..........
little payments good.........
sell cruiser bad.........
great gas mileage good........ (here is where you use that $300. for future modifications!)
sell cruiser bad......

a friend just purchased a honda civic for commutes and is actually saving money with the difference in gas versus payments and now his f350 is a farm tag/recreational insurance. can you see how the scientifically proven method could keep you on the 100 forum :)

I hear you man. I REALLY do not want to sell it BUT I really cannot justify a third car to let the 100 sit for ...........well, any reason minus work (which is not alot of time frankly). I have a bike, a 40, a 100 and a Suburban. The Suburban was purchased as a consolation for selling her 100 to someone without her permission-I kind of just did it and left her with 0 car. OK, so I was only married three years at that point. I know better now. So, although the Sub. is a VERY soar point in the house i.e. I hate the damn thing and literally cringe when I think how much I spent on it. But, that's life. So, I am stuck with the 100 dilemma. To be honest, I will be very surprised if someone buys it. It is just that way when you want to sell it.

I am not going to sell my 40 but I could sell my bike and get a civic or something. s*** on it all.

Not only am I a LC enthusiast and owner but a Civic enthusiast and owner. I have owned over four civics during the past 10 years and I have a couple of things to say:

1. They don't make em like they used to.
2. Quality has decreased (cheap dashboard plastic)
3. In the end, don't get one, get a Corolla or Camry.

Trek:

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I figured you would have commented by now.

In terms of which one, I do not necessarily agree with the buy the newest one possible paradigm. I really like the 98-99's due to the option of the rear locker. It is not to say that TC does not work well or, for that matter, better. But I just like the mechanics of the locked axle. In terms of rear air, I never used it when I had the 99. The interior of the 100's are very well insualted so the vehicle cools quickly and the cooling dissipates well. I cannot speak for the thrid row occupants because i never run that many people i.e. my family is 4. If you like the idea of rear air and a locker, go for a 99. If you want TC, go for as new as possible. Mileage is really dependent upon service history i.e. I have 124k on mine and it runs as well as the last one I sold with 50k.

Hope that helps you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom