Buying question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

New to the board and this is my 2nd post after lurking around reading the many fine posts for the last few months.

I've been looking for a nice LC for a while now, mostly 100's due to the typical type of driving I'll be doing (lots of commute, fair amount of snow and moderate off-road). However, there's a '95 in my area with only 66K miles but no lockers for $16.5K. The other LC I've been looking at is an '01 with 90K on it for $24K.

Boy, the '95 sure sounds tempting but the '01 sounds more suitable in the long run. Can someone help sway me one way or the other as I like 'em both but can only afford one of them!

Thanks!

Most of us have spent a long time looking for the right deal on our 80s... I bought the 80 over the 100 for a lot of reasons, I just like the i6 far more then the V8 and the V8 only has .02 more displacment so I see no reason in getting it. It has IFS instead of a solid front axel and that's something else I would MUCH RATHER have.

I would consider that price high though on the 1995, even more so without lockers. Don't let 100K scare you off, many people in here don't even look for anything with under 135k on it.

I would loock for a 1996 or 1997 Landcruiser or Lexus LX450 (same exact thing re-badged)... I would only buy one with lockers as you don't pay any extra for them and I would look for something with 80,000 for $13,000... I would take off or add $0,10 per mile for anything under or over that...

I would consider that a fair deal and something you can find within a months time..

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

The $16.5K seems high to me even for for the lower miles. If it was a 97 with lockers and low miles it would be in the reasonable range.

Since you plan on driving in snow and want to do some moderat offroading, make sure you get one with lockers.

For your long commute make sure you understand how these perform relative to MPG.

Drive both, then decide.

Have to agree with the others on price. You can buy a very nice 80 for 15-16K (and have quite a few to choose from).

If commuting is your primary purpose (and spending more is an option) then a 100 series will offer more room and comfort IMO.

You're more likely to get the "nod" for the 80 here......but I suggest you drive both and make up your mind. Both are capable vehicles off road, but have slightly different manners on road.

Welcome aboard.

Trek, I've had both an 80 and 100. They are both fine vehicles. If you are commuting 20-25k/year, the 100 is much better than the 80 on-road. Like Flintknapper said, drive both.

Keep in mind the 80 was designed in the... well... 80's. The 100 was designed ~7 years later. There have been many technological advances in those 7 years. Good or bad, the 80 is more spartan, the 100 is luxurious. But even with all the extras tidbits and gadgets, mechanically, the 100 seems to require less maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom