Master thread: Buying, PM & Advance Maintenance of 100 & 200 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Subscribed! Thank you so much for consolidating this and your many contributions to the forum!!! I also enjoyed reading about your background, thanks for sharing.

Looks like it will be a valuable resource, appreciate the effort.
Thank you both.

I'll work too write up some specific thread like coolant flush, wheel bearing service etc. and I'll keep adding over time.

Great work knew nothing about these vehicles this forum and yourself helped so much all arcross the world.I told you buddy come to the UAE 100 series paradise and your work would be so successful.

People would be suprised how many 100 series and Lx 470 get shipped from USA to here and now starting with the 200 series and Lx 570.Still majority 4wd are GCC cars from new tho.

Last edited:
Keep in mind I'll be adding, rearranging and editing links on a continuous basis.

Subscribed
Enjoy.

My baseline will likely follow this thread. Thanks for what you do.
Factory Service Manuals (FSM) are a must for the serious work. You're welcome!

Great work knew nothing about these vehicles this forum and yourself helped so much all arcross the world.I told you buddy come to the UAE 100 series paradise and your work would be so successful.

People would be suprised how many 100 series and Lx 470 get shipped from USA to here and now starting with the 200 series and Lx 570.Still majority 4wd are GCC cars from new tho.
A UAE move, would be and adventure!

I too have my first 200 series, I'll be cutting my teeth on. Picked it up and associated FSM's, same day I closed on sale of The Black Kinght.

Keep in mind I'll be adding, rearranging and editing links on a continuous basis.

Enjoy.

I too have my first 200 series, I'll be cutting my teeth on. Picked it up and associated FSM's, same day I closed on sale of The Black Kinght.[/QUOTE

Have you got the link to your built up of your 200 series.

Enjoy.

I too have my first 200 series, I'll be cutting my teeth on. Picked it up and associated FSM's, same day I closed on sale of The Black Kinght.

Have you got a thread for your 200 series built .

Finding the 100 series the best engineered vehicle I had ever owned or worked on.

Great thread Paul! Will be so useful to all of us current and future 100 owners. I'm curious if you feel the "200" will replace the "100" in your statement above as you learn more about it? Or will the electrical complexity keep the 100 as King?

Oh, and is that Velam a rebadged BMW Isetta?

I've mixed feelings about the engineering of 200 series. It was designed with less maintenance in mind for sure. This seem to be industry wide trend to reduce cost of ownership (annual maintenance cost). In doing so parts are eventually replaced like front wheel bearings, rather than serviced periodically. The jury is still out on engine longevity, but indications are the 4.7L 2UZ will beat out the 5.7L 3UR on this score.

One of my first impression of the 100 series, was how easy the oil filter was to get at and replace. In the 200 series the engineers did not have the shop in mind at all, with respect to oil filter for one. This is also true of the transfer case gear lube drain. I've not dig deep into the 200 series yet, but feel the engineers drop the ball in respect to keeping the mechanic in mind.

But like all Land Cruiser before, they've kept with the theme of more refinements & capabilities. The 200 series, IMO, has many features that 100 series enthusiast and off road builds inspired and pioneered. I've long held Toyota keeps a watch eye forums like mud and IMHO the 200 shows it. Form little changes like rear lower hatch tool storage compartments, customizable DLRL (on or off) and more within setting of NAV screen which 100's must be modified to accommodate. Too bigger changes like KDSS suspension system. It has more towing capacity, stopping power, creature comforts and a stronger & lighter frame. Amazingly the 200 gets better HWY MPG even with added weight, but seems a little less MPG in DD use around the city. To be fair, I've the remote start option, which could be why I'm seeing lower MPG as a DD.

Yes Velam was rebadged BMW Isetta, at least that was the best we came up with. Good call!

Last edited:
Just found this, AWESOME!

Fantastic thread!

Last edited:
2001LC is a great guy and has always been helpful when I have reached out to him with a newb 100 series question! Thanks!

This is great. Thank you for you contribution.
You're so welcome. I just need to get better at organizing the OP index. I add to OP and rearrange often without notice, so keep checking last edit date.

One of my first impression of the 100 series, was how easy the oil filter was to get at and replace. In the 200 series the engineers did not have the shop in mind at all, with respect to oil filter for one. This is also true of the transfer case gear lube drain. I've not dig deep into the 200 series yet, but feel the engineers drop the ball in respect to keeping the mechanic in mind.

I left toyota after 12 years as a MDT in December of last year, and can confirm that simple maintenance and repairs is becoming more and more difficult due to engineering.

Just wait until you have do a "simple" repair like valve cover gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom