Buying new tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about getting the Pro comp X terrins for my 94 L/C with the 2.5 lift. I guess I will ge the 305/70 R16. does anybody know if these tires are any good?? I am getting these because of the buy 3 get one free form 4wheel parts wholesale.

tim

Hey [glow=red,2,300]waldrtw [/glow], before you get the stuff from 4 wheel parts try these two things.
  • watch out for 4 wheel parts having one of their "free shipping" days..you could save some $$ on shipping.
  • When i was shopping around for my tires..BJ Wholesale Club had good prices on BFG AT's and MT's. I got 295's for around $155 each.

good luck,
later.

I know a guy selling 305/70R16s MTRs in Atlanta for $400 for 5.

He said over 50% wear...he is a good dude...Christo built his rig before he moved here.

While we are beating this dead horse! Any thoughts on the Telico SSRs. I'll be travelling between Boston and Vt for work and have been thinking a good set of snows might be in order as my AT/Kos are well worn.

Dan, what can a smart shopper expect to pay for a set of factory steels?

I've heard good reviews on the X-Terrains, both road and rock use. Not much on their mud performance, but most "streetable" MT's are aggressive all-terrains anyways IMO. I considered a set for my daily driver, but they didn't have the size I required...ended up with BFG-MT's, no complaints.

[quote author=woody link=board=2;threadid=7332;start=msg61607#msg61607 date=1068558798]
I've heard good reviews on the X-Terrains, both road and rock use. Not much on their mud performance, but most "streetable" MT's are aggressive all-terrains anyways IMO. I considered a set for my daily driver, but they didn't have the size I required...ended up with BFG-MT's, no complaints.
[/quote]

This is what I ended up getting and I've been quite happy - 70% street/30% off road. To date they have handled quite welll on rock, wet rock, in water and ok in mud. I tend to run air them down a bit when off road and that helps with the performance.

Cheers, Hugh

Take a look at the Kelly-Springfield Safari MSR's. I'm running 285's on my 80 and they ride good, are quiet on the road, and most of all look really cool. No off-road test just yet, but the same MSR's (33x9.50) on my FJ40 have wheeled with the best of them and never let me down ;) They air down VERY well and hold a bead under extreme use. I've thrashed these tires thoroughly and put many highway miles on them going to events. They barely show any wear after about 12k miles. I was obviously impressed enough to put another set on my 80.

The Kelly tires run VERY true to size, so mine are just a hair under 33" when aired up to 35 psi. Oh yeah, I got mine for $140/ea. :p

The tread pattern is a high-void very agressive A/T tread. Especially agressive when you get up to the 285 size. I'm very happy with mine :D

I really should take some pics and post them. Maybe I'll get a chance soon.

Jody.

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=7332;start=msg61580#msg61580 date=1068553603]
I know a guy selling 305/70R16s MTRs in Atlanta for $400 for 5.

He said over 50% wear...he is a good dude...Christo built his rig before he moved here.

[/quote]
Dan, is the blue truck? I think the guy that bought that now works with Faron. Small world man.

His is white...1994 FZJ80 (also for sale)

personally I hated my x terrains,
on road they were noisy and wore poorly. off road they were actually a pretty good tire. The final straw for me was in snow I could not stop with them on. the larger blocks would slide on the ice and snow making it really unstable to stop on bad roads or turn. if snow is a factor I would avoid them like the plague. also they are a bitch to get balanced correctly so be warned. FWIW I currently run the 33x12.5 brg atko's pretty nice tire 17k miles on them and just getting to the wear indicators. Unless you plan on running two sets of tires I would avoid the x terrains.
Dave

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=7332;start=msg61792#msg61792 date=1068583362]
The final straw for me was in snow I could not stop with them on. the larger blocks would slide on the ice and snow making it really unstable to stop on bad roads or turn. if snow is a factor I would avoid them like the plague. also they are a bitch to get balanced correctly so be warned. Dave
[/quote]

Ohh shi**&te, I live in the snow belt! I had mine on last season and don't remember them being too bad - I'll pay more attention this year. Granted, they are not winter tires. Dave, what was the balancing problem - I haven't seemed to have a problem (then again, I'm not sure I would notice)

Cheers, Hugh

>> ... 33x12.5 brg atko's pretty nice tire 17k miles on them and just getting to the wear indicators. <<

Dave,
Dyslexia again? Surely you're not at the wear indicators yet?

-B-

I hear Truxus MTs are dreamy in ice and snow.

"This tire has more siping than any other mud terrain on the market; which has proven to be almost magical in icy snowy conditions. These same traction features make this tire a serious rock climber." - http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/SuperSwamperTrxus.htm

trexus_mud_terrain-200.jpg
ssr_sswamper_radial-200.jpg
Trxus on left / SSR on right

Sounds like the SSR might also be good in ice and snow ... whats a guy to do ?? The SSR is almost $50 more/tire ; how come ? Is it that the Trxus is not a radial ?

tyler - *thinkin some SSR's might look nice mounted on 16x10 Alcoa's under the Xmas tree* :D :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=7332;start=msg62013#msg62013 date=1068612320]
SSR's are the one of the few Interco tires I'd never buy. Too many issues. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Not that I have any first hand experience with them but there was a chappy in my club that ran them on his 80 and he said they were crap. He wheels his stuff pretty hard though.
Maybe there good enough for the mall cruisers. ???

Quote : "Maybe there good enough for the mall cruisers. "

Absolutely[glow=blue,8,600]NOT[/glow]!! :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :D

If I'm in any danger of blowin a sidewall while flexin knarly over an off camber curb I'll be damned if I'll lay out the bones for that crap ! :p

by wear indicators I mean the small markers that sit at approx 12/32 and run to about 8/32 deep in tread. since they had 14/32 at new I feel pretty good about that. the balancing issue was two of the four carried over 4 ounces of wieght to get the static load on a hunter to register in spec. I could not get two of the four to ever pull a dynamic balance. ever. this caused a vibration at speeds in excess of 70 mph wich was pretty annoying and downright unstable. they also wore poorly(ie cupped very badly across the blocks) the cupping was not the tire being of poor quality but of the tire nto balancing well. this was on a set of 15x8 atlas alloys that I swapped form tire to tire to rule out a bent rim or two. no dice always the same tires regardless of rims. what really stunk was that I bought my 91 with them on it so I couldnt even harass the seller of the tires to work a deal on a new set. damn prior owner. as far as stopping in the snow in deep snow they were fine except at hard turns. then the tread blocks and the chevron pattern was elusive at best in finding traction. the worst was on less than one inch of snow or light ice they would slide quite a bit further than the same rig when I but the bfgs on it. just my two cents of course and off road I was actually quite pleased.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom