Buying my first LX 470 - need opinions on rust pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, first post. Hopefully many more to come. I've been stalking these forums a bit, trying to learn a little and get some tips. I have been online shopping for several weeks and found a 2000 LX 470 I'm interested in. It's got 170K miles. It spent the first 13 years in CA but the last 7 years in OH. The body and interior look great. I asked about rust underneath and if they could send me some pics. These are what they sent me. This looks bad to me, but I know zero about cars. Any guidance would be appreciated.

IMG_20200928_114015.jpg

IMG_20200928_114028.jpg

IMG_20200928_114051.jpg

IMG_20200928_114108.jpg

IMG_20200928_114123.jpg

I agree, that is bad, I would pass on it unless it is a very good deal. there is a bunch of rust, the gas tank skid is partially gone, front skid plate is toast. most likely lots of hidden rust also.

Be picky. Ask for more pics, be specific. Have them remove the underguards for more pics.

Underguards are easy replacements. Frames are not.

Edit: AHC lines need to have no rust, or else they will eventually leak and it is a PITA to replace them.

It doesn't really look that bad to me. Gas tank and front engine skids are usually the first to go. Even on my '00 LC from southern VA (non-snowy), the front skid was pretty rusty. Everything else was immaculate.

The cross member and transfer case skid look to be in brand new shape. The muffler (or resonator) looks like it might actually be new. See if they'll send some more pics with like, some light, or something.

If you're in FL, why even bother looking at a truck in Ohio?

All of these rust threads have me thinking that if I ever go to sell my rust-free '05, I'm going to have to scrub off all of the damn brown and red GA clay stains because it looks like it's covered in rust before a chassis detail.

It doesn't really look that bad to me. Gas tank and front engine skids are usually the first to go. Even on my '00 LC from southern VA (non-snowy), the front skid was pretty rusty. Everything else was immaculate.

The cross member and transfer case skid look to be in brand new shape. The muffler (or resonator) looks like it might actually be new. See if they'll send some more pics with like, some light, or something.

If you're in FL, why even bother looking at a truck in Ohio?

All of these rust threads have me thinking that if I ever go to sell my rust-free '05, I'm going to have to scrub off all of the damn brown and red GA clay stains because it looks like it's covered in rust before a chassis detail.
Having a hard time finding anything in my price range in NWFL. The dealer selling it is actually in Memphis, TN.

Last edited:
Curious on what the asking price is/was? I just snagged a '00 LC with comparable rust.

Oh, good. I definitely feel better. Mine was wrecked a few times so that reflected in the price. :)

Having a hard time finding anything in my price range in NWFL.
Look below space coast down to Miami. Always something available

I ran the VIN through the Lexus owners site (based on a tip from someone on these forums) and there are too many red flags. Previous owner brought it in 5 different times from 163K-168K miles for various issues. Declined service on several including timing belt. Dealer says he will replace timing belt but I'm now nervous there are some other issues.

Of course they'll do the timing belt for you to sell the rig. Once you buy it and find out they didn't, what kind of recourse would you take when living in FL? An apology letter from the dealer?

Hard to say with the skid plates. I just bought mine and they are toast as well. It seems like you'll deal with some measure of rust on these rigs regardless. Just depends what you're willing to fix or live with.

It is the unseen rust (windshield frame, sunroof frame, flooring) that concerns me given the obvious. I would pass on this one.

It's a no from me.

A good indicator - IMO, but who am I to tell - is if the (original) tank cover is rusted, then it is a no.

With $11.5k in hand, you can find a rust free LX in Florida. I see trucks in better shape than that for that sort of money all the time in the local classifieds here. They sold tons of them here. A truck in that condition in Central FL would only pull $6-8k

Of course they'll do the timing belt for you to sell the rig. Once you buy it and find out they didn't, what kind of recourse would you take when living in FL? An apology letter from the dealer?
Yup, this. Also, even if they do replace the T-belt you know they're going to half-ass a piss poor job of it. Broken bolt? Leave it there. Worn drive belt? Leave it. Coolant? Recycle at least half that. Squeaky bearing? Nope, keep that in there.

Not that you need another vote, but here's mine: pass.

Just say no. That clean crossmember and xfer case skid look new. The rear frame rust looks troubling but the pic is bad. Be patient and keep an eye on FB marketplace. With 11.5 you have lots of options here in the SouthEast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom